Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: motor replacement cost $15k
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:46 am 

I have 2012 model, started hearing some high pitch noise from motor at low speed. I took it to dealer, dealer confirmed the motor gone bad. they also confirmed it with toyota factory inspector. dealer said it is going to cost $15k to fix the motor. $11k for the tesla motor and $4k for labor. this seems really high. It has 55k miles on it, regular factory warranty expired. but i have toyota extended warranty for that car. dealer said that extended warranty is going to cover that cost. after this repair, dealer says that extended warranty won't cover any future repairs. because they are spending $15k on this and car is worth around $15k.

Wondering if anyone went thru similar situation?

Post subject: Re: motor replacement cost $15k
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:42 am 

evgeek wrote:
I have 2012 model, started hearing some high pitch noise from motor at low speed. I took it to dealer, dealer confirmed the motor gone bad. they also confirmed it with toyota factory inspector. dealer said it is going to cost $15k to fix the motor. $11k for the tesla motor and $4k for labor. this seems really high. It has 55k miles on it, regular factory warranty expired. but i have toyota extended warranty for that car. dealer said that extended warranty is going to cover that cost. after this repair, dealer says that extended warranty won't cover any future repairs. because they are spending $15k on this and car is worth around $15k.

Wondering if anyone went thru similar situation?

This is exactly why I had mine changed just before the 5yr/60k mile Powertrain warranty expired.

Your other option is to ship the car to Quick Charge Power and have Tony replace the bearings. If that's the only problem, then you're only out $3k and you still have your Platinum Warranty to cover other stuff.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:33 pm 

We can repair or replace the motor.

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/SERVI ... REPAIR.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:04 pm 

So the motor whine is just a bearing in the motor that's going? How hard would it be to replace if you have a few willing mechanic buddies? I'm past warranty, and my motor's getting pretty loud now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:25 pm 

TonyWilliams wrote:

Can you do this work as a field appointment in California, or do you need to have the car in your San Diego shop?

3.2 kW Solar PV system

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:36 am 

tgreene wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:

Can you do this work as a field appointment in California, or do you need to have the car in your San Diego shop?

It needs to be at our shop in San Diego.

Tony Williams
Quick Charge Power LLC
1780-104 La Costa Meadows Drive
San Marcos, California 92078 USA
TonyWilliams@QuickChargePower.com
www.QuickChargePower.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:56 pm 

Right, so if I were closer to San Diego I'd hit you up for sure. Since I'm not. How difficult is it to repair the whine? Is it just a couple bearings that need replacing? Does it require specialized tooling? Are the bearings easy to find replacements for? Or is there something more to the whine than the bearings?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:23 pm 

JesseInReno wrote:
Right, so if I were closer to San Diego I'd hit you up for sure. Since I'm not. How difficult is it to repair the whine? Is it just a couple bearings that need replacing? Does it require specialized tooling? Are the bearings easy to find replacements for? Or is there something more to the whine than the bearings?

Honestly, every motor is different. I couldn’t tell you until I both heard it, and took it apart.