Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Best Dealer for Service In SF Bay Area
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:19 pm 

Quote:
they started to imply that the JdeMO could have caused the heater to fail, which was a very costly warranty repair. I shot that one down since the heater had failed at least a month before the JdeMO was installed in mid December.

This will ALWAYS be the immediate answer for all unknowns. It's just the human existence.

Going to qualified and KNOWLEGABLE shop is always money saved, and frustration you didn't have to endure (at least not as much, hopefully!).

A monkey could see that there was absolutely no interaction whatsoever with JdeMO and the cabin heater. That will never stop the incompetent from coming up with incompetent answers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:46 pm 

I have always had a "ham" radio installed in my car. When the 12V battery failed in my Leaf of course it was caused by my radio. They did not back off until I pointed out the relay that totally disconnected the unit unless the car was on.

I really think mechanics hate warranty work with its low pay. They jump on any excuse to bill the customer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:18 am 

Maybe it is time that we put together a database of positive and negative service experiences with dealers. It should be easy to set up with a Google form / Google docs and people could fill in the fields with their info.

3.2 kW Solar PV system

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:00 pm 

[quote="BerkeleyGirl"}

Think now that I have fast charging capability, I need to start going to Palo Alto for all my service.[/quote]

Update on my experience with Toyota Auto Nation in Hayward:

* They have never given me a car while they work on my EV.
* They did the software update for the "screen of death" recall.
* They fixed the car when I got "See dealer immediately screen" after that fix.
(They never said what had gone wrong.)
* They told me a cracked windshield is not covered on a leased car.
* They are friendly and helpful in demeanor.

If my leased car actually broke and would not work, I might find them wanting. However, so far I just call them and let them know I need help. They say "Bring it in." I drive it in. It's been drivable except for the one time the 12 volt battery went dead. The EV tow company charged it with a hand held charger. Then I drove it in for a 12 volt battery check.

Best, Patrice

Leviton 40A EVSE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:16 am 

Windshields are not covered lease or not. I had a new 4Runner that cracked from a stone at 33 miles on the way home. My insurance only covers it over the $500 deductible. Needless to say I paid Safeco and not the dealer.

My B has a $900 heated windshield with no generic available. I dread the day a stone cracks it.

In some states it is a no charge replacement under your comprehensive. Not in California.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:44 am 

I am anxious to hear if they actually get the parts and fix the heater and DC to DC converter in a day.

I take mine into Toyota Marin for a failed heater tomorrow. It will be my first service experience with them.

JLong, ---- J1772 extension cord

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:29 am 

I don't think any dealer has those parts on hand. If things go well, they will diagnose which parts to change, order parts and send you away with your car, still running but still without heat. It will take at least a few days to get the parts. There have been periods of time when there were no heaters in stock in US and they had to get more from Japan with a several week lead time. Tesla supplies the DC/DC converter and I don't know if they are repairing/rebuilding them or not.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar | Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 Limestone Gray e-Golf LE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:17 am 

Toyota Marin Diagnosed Heater and DC to DC converter failure. Can't give me an ETA on Parts. Tried to tell me the car was out of warranty service - it has 38K with an extended warranty - I can't remember the factory warranty on the heater but the DC to DC converter is still covered under 60K manufacturer warranty. It will be interesting to see what they say after getting the warranty work approved tomorrow. I hope the parts don't take too long.

JLong, ---- J1772 extension cord

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:36 am 

Has anyone tried Berkeley Toyota?

Longest Rav 4 road trip: 925 miles over 2 days from Berkeley Ca to Anaheim CA and back. Made possible with the JdeMO aftermarket quick charge port by Tony Williams and team.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:25 pm 

bdunst wrote:
Toyota Marin Diagnosed Heater and DC to DC converter failure. Can't give me an ETA on Parts. Tried to tell me the car was out of warranty service - it has 38K with an extended warranty - I can't remember the factory warranty on the heater but the DC to DC converter is still covered under 60K manufacturer warranty. It will be interesting to see what they say after getting the warranty work approved tomorrow. I hope the parts don't take too long.
The heater should be on the basic 3/36 warranty. You just got your money's worth on the extended warranty. This is my main justification for buying the extended warranty. It's pretty likely that the heater will go out between years 3 and 8.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar | Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 Limestone Gray e-Golf LE