ALL POSTS - GOM - Range Meter - Distance To Empty meter

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tee2 said:
Normally when I leave for work after doing an overnight standard charge, the car tells me I've got around 96 or so miles available. Lately this number has been increasing a little more each day, until this morning the car showed 110 miles on a standard charge.

Could it be you sort of stopped playing with it (new car syndrome) and you start hitting the accelerator less intensive ?
Not going to sport mode as often ?

My GOM normally shows between 120-135 miles range on a normal charge.

First weeks it was _way_ less ;-)

I was thinking that high temperatures cause range reduction, so that if you get back towards a nominal 70oF the range might increase.
Also less AC cooling for the battery pack.

Of course I'm probably mistaken...

kiwiguy said:
I was thinking that high temperatures cause range reduction, so that if you get back towards a nominal 70oF the range might increase.
Also less AC cooling for the battery pack.

Of course I'm probably mistaken...

We are likely talking about two separate things... "Range" is how far the car can go in a given set of parameters. So, a higher temperature battery will always have more capacity than a colder one. Above some temperature threshold, the air conditioner pump will cool the battery, but that is extremely efficient, so that the impact to range is minimal.

A cold battery will not only have less capacity, it will consume a LOT more power to try and heat it. The battery heater takes a lot of energy in comparison to the air conditioner. So, cold batteries get a double whammy. Plus, the occupants are more likely to run the cabin heater (a completely separate device) that also consumes a LOT of energy.

What is on the dash in the GOM is not "range", so if goes up or down, I honestly don't know or pay any attention. That's why there is only one thread for folks to commensurate about the GOM.

Please read through the thread and you'll see that it's the same question over and over, just worded differently.

My GOM has been acting strangely. Usually it shows about 96 miles. Yesterday morning it showed 80. After being driven a few miles, the GOM snapped back up to 100 or so. This morning, back to 80. My wife took it today, so we will see how it went today.

Probably, I should just disregard it altogether, but it's strange behavior has me thinking it might be a symptom of something else.

jscgvnc said:
My GOM has been acting strangely. Usually it shows about 96 miles. Yesterday morning it showed 80. After being driven a few miles, the GOM snapped back up to 100 or so. This morning, back to 80. My wife took it today, so we will see how it went today.

Probably, I should just disregard it altogether, but it's strange behavior has me thinking it might be a symptom of something else.
Your sig says "Gold Country". If you're in the foothills, the terrain will mess with the GOM all the time. Just disregard it and watch the fuel bars, keeping in mind whether your destination is uphill or not.

miimura said:
jscgvnc said:

Your sig says "Gold Country". If you're in the foothills, the terrain will mess with the GOM all the time. Just disregard it and watch the fuel bars, keeping in mind whether your destination is uphill or not.

Yeah, we are in the foothills, so it's up and down all day. Actually, I don't really stress about the GOM, but it freaks out my wife. She gets range anxiety.

DCH of Torrance updated my firmware to 1.3.83 and my mileage range now reads over 120 miles after the last two chargings. I checked each time to confirm that the car was on a regular charge and not the extended charge.

Dealer invoice update firmware: https://www.flickr.com/photos/45428304@N05/15550984816/

New hood sticker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/45428304@N05/14953948494/in/photostream/

Range indication after update: https://www.flickr.com/photos/45428304@N05/15572030141/in/photostream/

sobayimage said:
DCH of Torrance updated my firmware to 1.3.83 and my mileage range now reads over 120 miles after the last two chargings. I checked each time to confirm that the car was on a regular charge and not the extended charge.

Dealer invoice update firmware: https://www.flickr.com/photos/45428304@N05/15550984816/

New hood sticker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/45428304@N05/14953948494/in/photostream/

Range indication after update: https://www.flickr.com/photos/45428304@N05/15572030141/in/photostream/

Just to be clear for everybody else, your range didn't change at all. The car will still go EXACTLY the same distance. What changed is that they disconnected the 12 volt DC battery and that reset the GOM to the default settings.

Well the GOM finally got me.

I've owned my Rav4EV for 24K miles now (about 18 months) and it finally nailed me driving back from Sacramento to Amador County.

I ran out (totally) on highway 49 about 2 miles from my charging point (at the Amador Transit Center near Sutter Creek) and had to be flat-bedded over to there to charge.

Rats. I suppose this will eventually happen to everyone.

I had about 10% more range on the GOM than i thought i needed (but knew it was somewhat uphill to where i was going). I needed to have about 15% more...
Lesson learned. (I log every drive, so i'll have a correction factor for Sacramento->Amador now...)

I also charged at UC Davis (I'd never gone in there before but not only do they have a variety of L2 charger types, they have the rare CHADEMO charger (which i cant use, *yet*) there (but only one). They are in the parking lot behind the Mondavi Center . I had neglected to bring my phone with me, so i didnt know where to find a charge over by Dixon where i was going (there is one there, but its hard to find without specific instructions) so i just started driving back to Sacramento (which i know has lots of chargers downtown), saw UC Davis and thought oh- thats got to have lots of chargers... and it does! You're supposed to have a UC Davis parking decal to charge there by the way but on Saturday no one seemed to be around and there was no hassle charging.

n3ckf said:
I also charged at UC Davis (I'd never gone in there before but not only do they have a variety of L2 charger types, they have the rare CHADEMO charger (which i cant use, *yet*) there (but only one). They are in the parking lot behind the Mondavi Center . I had neglected to bring my phone with me, so i didnt know where to find a charge over by Dixon where i was going (there is one there, but its hard to find without specific instructions) so i just started driving back to Sacramento (which i know has lots of chargers downtown), saw UC Davis and thought oh- thats got to have lots of chargers... and it does! You're supposed to have a UC Davis parking decal to charge there by the way but on Saturday no one seemed to be around and there was no hassle charging.

I've charged at the same place, and have never been hassled about charging. Of course I've seen the signs that say you need to have the parking permit, but I've never had a problem.

I'm just guessing, but if you went during an event at the center and the PL was full, then you might get hassled. Or maybe not, who knows. It is UC Davis, so watch out for pepper spray :)

n3ckf said:

I've owned my Rav4EV for 24K miles now (about 18 months) and it finally nailed me driving back from Sacramento to Amador County.

I ran out (totally) on highway 49 about 2 miles from my charging point (at the Amador Transit Center near Sutter Creek) and had to be flat-bedded over to there to charge.

I travel on 49 through Jackson sometimes, but I've always wussed out and taken the Camry. The lack of charging stations on the way and at my destination(Murphys) has kept me from taking the EV.

What range are you seeing on a full charge (not extended charge)? I am charging with my included emergency charger until my wall charger is installed and I am seeing 91 miles after a full overnight charge. I thought the range was supposed to be 100 or so. Is it only because I am charging with the emergency charger and not the 240V wall charger?

I tried searching on this but search function says this query is too generic :-\

Thanks in advance!

Take a look at this thread: http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=825

Basically, the guess-o-meter is just that, a guess based on your past driving. I've had it give me anywhere between 90-120 on a normal charge. Nothing's wrong with the car, if you want to increase that number, drive more conservatively and it'll creep up.

Recently i noticed that on my commute to work, I arrive to work and range is at one number (usually around 75 miles). When i leave work and turn car on, it automatically drops from 75 to 70, yesterday it actually dropper 8 miles)...actually had me down to 57... My commute is 47 miles and when I arrived home range was at 20. So clearly its not calculating properly.

I drive same route each day and my speed is basically the same each day. In the summer I never had this issue. I am in so cali and recently we had very cold weather.

Could the cold weather be causing this issue or can it be a computer issue?

So i would think in the summer it should do the same for heat? AC on eco hi reduces my range 3 miles max. I dont even use the heater now. Sometimes i turn the heated seats but range doesnt budge when I do that.

I realize batteries dont do as well in the cold. Hopefully it goes away when warmer weather arrives, which should be soon here in So Cali ;)

I have a Clippercreek charger and this is what I find every day:
1/21/2015 total charge 110 miles
1/22/2015 total charge - 94 miles
1/23/2015 - total charge -81 miles

Anyone experiencing this?

Hem Ramachandran

Are you driving any differently (sporty or in sport mode), causing your average efficiency to go down from the previous day?
Is the ambient temperature dropping?

Switch to Extended Mode charging and see if bumps you up 20%.

The shorter the trips, usually the lower the range on the "Guess-O-Meter" after charging. I'll bet if you drive the car below 30 miles range, including some freeway trips or otherwise more efficient driving, the range after charging will increase into the 90's or more. It is an estimate based on the efficiency of the miles driven since the previous charge. There is still the same amount of electrons in your battery, figuratively speaking. If you are still not convinced, before your next charge disconnect the 12 volt battery negative terminal for a few minutes to reset the car. Then charge the car normally. I'll bet the range will be around 100 miles.

Back