ALL POSTS - Heater Failed - Service Bulletin TSB 0111-14

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ckoski said:
Another one joining the club. Our RAV is a year old with 14k on it, no problems until now. I have a simultaneous problem of about a 15 to 20% drop in power. Poor passing power and no more squealing off the line. The car did not display any warning lights. Has this happened to anyone else? Toyota 101 has my car and they haven't given me a repair date yet.
So... do you have a problem w/your heater along w/the above or just the above? Please do let us know what they fix.

Got a call back that I will have to return my ev loaner while they wait for parts to come in. Eta mid February. They are replacing the heater and some rc to rc inverter

What is the dc to dc converter, isn't that like the alternator that charges the 12v???

^^^
Prius and Toyota hybrids have a DC to DC to converter to power the 12 volt bus and yes, charge the 12 volt.

Yes, from earlier posts, it seems like some (all?) failed heater

cossie1600 said:
Got a call back that I will have to return my ev loaner while they wait for parts to come in. Eta mid February. They are replacing the heater and some rc to rc inverter

What is the dc to dc converter, isn't that like the alternator that charges the 12v???

If you don't want to bring back the loaner until your EV is totally ready to go, you should feel like you can ask for that.

They have been good to me, so I have no problem swapping the car back. Plus I miss the HOV sticker, but driving another EV gave me a couple ideas.

I did speak to the service guy about the heater. I asked him what does the DC to DC converter have to do with the heater given that should only charge the 12v. He said Tesla told them the unit has to be replaced along with the heater as the new heater can get damaged from the old inverter. I should get the parts in mid Feb. I just told him anytime is fine, just make sure he saves me the EV loaner.

cossie1600 said:
I asked him what does the DC to DC converter have to do with the heater given that should only charge the 12v.
The DC to DC converter is not just for the 12V system. It has multiple outputs including the cabin heater, the battery heater, and the AC compressor. Tony posted this pic of the DC to DC converter in another thread...

66013445-7646-4F68-BCB2-550CC0B3C5BC-2559-0000018103935FB9.jpg

For the record, I just brought my 2013 in for this no heat issue and the Dealer (magnussen toyota palo alto) is now planning to replace the heater and the DC to DC converter. They don't have an eta on the parts yet. Thanks to this forum, I had proactively (upon dropoff) asked to make sure I could take my EV back till the parts showed, not wanting to get stuck with a torn apart car sitting around for awhile. When they called to confirm the issue, they indicated that Toyota corporate considers the car unsafe to drive, and had authorized a rental. I could however take my car back if I really wanted (they hadn't left it torn apart). They seem to think they can give me an EV rental tomorrow, so I'm going to take the rental.

Update: the DC to DC converter estimated delivery is mid MARCH, and Toyota Palo Alto did not have an EV, so I took my RAV EV back.

Mine says late Feb. I told the guy I don't care because I made it through half the winter without it already.

Charlestonleafer said:
My car was finished yesterday. They only replaced the heater, no other parts. Heater now works great. It was at the dealer from Jan 7 to Feb 10.

Congratulations!

Was your repair covered under your warranty - dId a dealer in South Carolina do the work without cost to you?

Charlestonleafer said:
My car was finished yesterday. They only replaced the heater, no other parts. Heater now works great. It was at the dealer from Jan 7 to Feb 10.

Great news and thanks for sharing! The out of state folks here on the forum would love to know the details on this one please...

Yep, under warranty, at no cost to me. The first day I dropped it off, the dealer denied service. Called Toyota customer service, they corrected the dealership. They must have ordered the parts initially, since when the engineer visited, parts were there. Engineer performed the repair, and is now working like a dream. Toyota did the right thing, I've owned 3 Toyotas now, and this is my first experience with customer care. I can say that my Rep was great. Kevin was his name.

Charlestonleafer said:
Yep, under warranty, at no cost to me. The first day I dropped it off, the dealer denied service. Called Toyota customer service, they corrected the dealership. They must have ordered the parts initially, since when the engineer visited, parts were there. Engineer performed the repair, and is now working like a dream. Toyota did the right thing, I've owned 3 Toyotas now, and this is my first experience with customer care. I can say that my Rep was great. Kevin was his name.

Thanks for the info Charlestonleafer and glad to hear you have heat again! Great to hear Toyota is doing the right thing.

Mike

My heater barely works, Don't even feel warm even i set to Max heat. I took it to the StevenCreek Toyota and the tech says. since its a Electric car they expect it to take 15 - 30 Mins to feel the hot air. they cannot replace the heater as they don't see any error codes.

what are the other ways to check if the heater is working other than checking the vents for heated air.

RaviSekhar - make sure the A/C is off (and it shows on the display that it is off) and then see how it works.
If this does not solve the problem, take the car to Walnut Creek Toyota. The tech, Dan, there is very good with this car.

vips said:
RaviSekhar - make sure the A/C is off (and it shows on the display that it is off) and then see how it works.
If this does not solve the problem, take the car to Walnut Creek Toyota. The tech, Dan, there is very good with this car.

Thanks vips. I will do that and if it still doesn't work i will take the car to Walnut Creek Toyota.

Back