Are people generally happy with their Rav4 EV?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thait84

I know most people are leasing the Rav4 EV and will probably turn it in after they use it for 3 years, but did anyone make the decision to purchase? If so, do you regret it?

I read that there are some reliability problems and it is hard to service. One poster even mentioned that you should have a good lemon law attorney on standby.

Used prices seem to be in the upper 20k range. (~$28000) Does this seem fair for this car? Should I wait it out for a Model 3 instead? I know some Leafs are selling for quite a bit less, so I was hoping that Rav4 EV would depreciate a bit quicker as well.

Thanks for any input!

I originally purchased mine with 5 year 0% financing. I could not be happier and just had the Jdemo installed. I have not had any warranty work done on my car while it was in my posession, but the on-board charger was replaced by the original dealer while it was still in new inventory. The drive unit is making a little noise, but it's not that annoying.

The good lease deals did not come up until June or July 2013, so there are not a lot of RAV's coming off full term leases yet.

The stories out there are a little worrisome, but my experience has been very good. I will buy the Toyota Platinum extended warranty in the next couple months since I'm coming up on 3 years of ownership in April. I plan to keep the car at least through the extended warranty period of 8 years and 100,000 miles.

thait84 said:
I know most people are leasing the Rav4 EV and will probably turn it in after they use it for 3 years, but did anyone make the decision to purchase? If so, do you regret it?

The cars acquired between September 2012 and June 2013 were largely purchases, not leases. That means that until July 2017, there won't be very many lease turn-ins at all. This was because Toyota would not pass through the $7500 tax credit on the lease. For July 2013, Toyota went to the industry model of passing through the entire credit.

Since most of the residual values on the RAV4 EV are between $17k and $19k, and as you stated, the RAV4 EV resell currently for $28,000, it would be ludicrous to turn in their RAV4 EV.

Anybody who does turn it in needs to have their head examined, even if they do not intend to keep it... just sell the car on the open market. As I've consistently stated over and over, anybody that wants to make some extra money at lease turn-in, I have it waiting right here for you if you give me your car for the residual value INSTEAD of turning it in.

I read that there are some reliability problems and it is hard to service. One poster even mentioned that you should have a good lemon law attorney on standby.

There are no shortages of issues with the car, however, virtually ALL of those issues are very well known. Without exception, every issue is covered under warranty, which is why myself and others highly highly recommend maintaining the Toyota warranty. I would not own this car without the warranty.

If the car is a lemon, clearly Toyota has brought back a whole bunch of RAV4 EVs!!! But it's also a relatively simple machine. There are only a handful of major components that are replaced to solve all the problems (all of which are from Tesla).

So, in summary, should you buy a car under warranty, the hardest thing you're going to have to do is drive it to the dealer to have them repair it. Of the three RAV4 EV's that I have had, one must've had every component changed at least once and one has never had any component changed.

Used prices seem to be in the upper 20k range. (~$28000) Does this seem fair for this car? Should I wait it out for a Model 3 instead? I know some Leafs are selling for quite a bit less, so I was hoping that Rav4 EV would depreciate a bit quicker as well.

Thanks for any input!

If you're waiting for massive depreciation of the Toyota RAV4 EV, good luck !!! It has already been exposed to a US government recall and well-known list of it's numerous warranty repairs, yet in the marketplace it still commands value far above the residual value that the business geniuses at Toyota determined it should be worth it at the end of three years.

Tesla Model 3 won't be readily available for three years (at least) and it won't cost just $35,000, nor will it be the utility vehicle that is the RAV4 EV. You could drive a RAV4 EV for the next three years before considering the Tesla Model 3.

If a cheaper Nissan Leaf meets your needs, then why not just get that?

miimura said:
I originally purchased mine with 5 year 0% financing. I could not be happier and just had the Jdemo installed. I have not had any warranty work done on my car while it was in my posession, but the on-board charger was replaced by the original dealer while it was still in new inventory. The drive unit is making a little noise, but it's not that annoying.

2nd purchaser, same area. I did 0% 3 yrs on mine and i have had my drive unit replaced. The new drive unit is still pretty quiet (i've got about 10K on the new one). So overall i'm really happy. Just had JDEMO installed as well.

Love the car. You simply can't buy a vehicle like it anywhere. The Model X is in another stratosphere for pricing. Therefore, the values should keep holding well. I intend to keep this one until the extended warranty expires, and if the car has been behaving well enough, I'll probably keep it beyond that time.

I love my 2013. Bought it used in May 2014 and haven't had any issues with it. Got the recall work done in Seattle, too. I bought an extended warranty (8yr/125k/$deduct) that's good through September 2021 unless I hit the mileage first. Model 3 (AWD?)is probably in my future after this car, but I'm sure it won't be as spacy and versatile as the RAV4 EV... and will cost a lot more.

Would not consider keeping it without the extended warranty. I got it this month mainly because I was worried about whether Toyota would crack down on out of CA vehicles by denying extended warranties or some other dirty trick.

Added a JdeMO, a trailer hitch bike rack, mud flaps, WeatherTech mats, and I'm a very happy owner. This month I took trips to Portland, OR from Seattle and to Vancouver BC and never had any issues.

By the way, Jason from Kirkland Toyota who posted in the Extended Warranty thread is offering kick-ass good pricing on them through tomorrow (December campaign!). If you compare the 8/125/0 I got from Troy in MA for $1505, Jason is about $50 less and you don't need a local mailing address!

Thanks for the responses everyone. It really does seem like a great car because it is so roomy and it has decent range. I just worry about plunking down so much money for something that can potentially depreciate so much and have so many issues getting replacement parts (unlike an ICE car).

We had a Ford Focus EV for the past 3 years and we loved it. We just moved to Seattle and now we have 2 fairly old ICE cars (10+ years old) that are completely paid off. We plan on having 2 kids so something like the Focus or the Leaf will definitely feel cramped with a couple of car seats in the back.

The thing that is making me hesitate is the cost. It was easier to justify getting an electric car when we were driving 50-60 miles a day, but nowadays we only average 2-3 miles a weekday and variable amounts on the weekend. (Less than 2500 a year). We were thinking of getting the ICE Rav4 but when I think about having to get gas, oil changes, belts, smelling exhaust fumes, etc, I realize I never want to put up with it again.

Anyways, thanks again for the feedback. I'll keep an eye out for the Rav4 EV and see if something good pops up. Reading about the drivetrains and arguing with dealerships about "normal" or "not-normal" noises seems like a bit of a PITA though.

How does one get a Toyota Platinum extended warranty on a unit from out of state? Did the 2014 have a number of issues? Can any service center handle them?

kieranmullen said:
How does one get a Toyota Platinum extended warranty on a unit from out of state? Did the 2014 have a number of issues? Can any service center handle them?

All cars are identical, except for the color (white, blue and silver) and the 10th digit on the VIN... it is either a C (2012), D (2013) or E (2014).

Any problem with one, is the same problem with all.

Service can be done anywhere, however warranty claims specific to the EV drivetrain would require EV certified technicians at the dealer.

OUT OF STATE SERVICE AND WARRANTY CLAIMS

Just know that an out-of-state dealer may be willing to service your Rav4 EV, but Toyota USA may not pay them for warranty claim reimbursements and the service payments for Toyota Care. Kevin Spillane, Toyota Customer rep for the Rav4EV, has this to say about out-of-state servicing:

1) Toyota Customer Care - the normal 5000 mile interval checkups. Not covered outside of California authorized dealers. Expect any out-of-state-dealer who performs a routine service to your car to be denied payment by Toyota for "Toyota Care". No matter what your out-of-state dealer tells you, it won't be covered under "Toyota Customer Care"

2) Tesla drivetrain problems - Not covered outside of California authorized dealers.

3) Non-EV problems but specific to Rav4 EV - like a failed heater on a "case by case basis" (that means that they can jerk you around if they feel like it). They have an authorized field engineer coming to a local dealer to perform the work. It has nothing to do with the dealer themselves, it's just a place to work on the car.

4) Rav4 issues shared with the oil burning version - covered.

viewtopic.php?p=3993#p3993

There is an entire thread devoted to warranty purchase:

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1124

Back