Blink "Do you have an RAV4 EV?" survey?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I received this survey as well. I responded so we'll see what comes next. I don't own a Blink charger, but I do use the public chargers.

I just took the follow-up survey on SurveyMonkey. Interesting questions. Very "it's all about me" feel since they were not interested in RAV4 EV charging overall, just the issues that they are facing. The most interesting question was about the RAV's charge port. There are very small chamfered plastic tips on the current carrying pins (L1/L2/GND). They asked if your car still has those "plastic caps".

Does any one know if the Tesla's have the same heat problem that the Rav4 EV has with the Blink chargers. At my wives work they are going to change the chargers because there are a few Tesla's and our Rav4 that does not charge on the SPX chargers. I want to have my wife make sure they don't switch to Blink and I will have her use the heat problem as a reason not to get them.

Damchi said:
Does any one know if the Tesla's have the same heat problem that the Rav4 EV has with the Blink chargers. At my wives work they are going to change the chargers because there are a few Tesla's and our Rav4 that does not charge on the SPX chargers. I want to have my wife make sure they don't switch to Blink and I will have her use the heat problem as a reason not to get them.
The Teslas are different because the J1772 doesn't plug directly into the car. On the Model S, it plugs into an adapter, which I've heard is made of anodized aluminum, so it can dissipate heat better than a normal car inlet. The Roadster uses a short adapter cord with a J1772 receptacle on one end and a Roadster specific plug on the other. The current draw would be the same or higher on either Tesla than a RAV4 EV on any EVSE.

Personally, I think the ChargePoint stations are better than Blink and Google and Apple seem to agree based on the installations I've seen at their facilities. These are 30A only. If they don't need access control or reporting, the Clipper Creek units are also very good for outdoor installation and are available with higher current.

^^^
At my work, we have only Chargepoint EVSEs and I've not had any trouble w/inlet melting on my '13 Leaf w/6 kW onboard charger. I've seen their displays indicate I'm charging at ~5.8 or ~5.9 kW. I charge virtually every work day.

We have some other '13 Leafs, a FFE, and a few Model S (w/J1772 adpater) charging at those same EVSEs w/o issue. I do notice the inlets getting a little warm, but not hot.

There are no Rav4 EVs at my work, AFAIK. We have an internal voluntary list of BEVs, PHEVs, owner name and license plate #.

Back