Charger installation process

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a RAV4 EV so I am also working through all this. Thanks for all the info.

Is there any possibility of some kind of automatic plug in? You know just drive up without all the cable handling?
I asked the Tesla guy when I put down my Tesla deposit (since pulled because i decided against a sedan) about people forgetting to plug or unplug. He laughed and said "you don't forget to plug in your cell phone, do you?" :)
Um actually, all the time.
Has anyone tested the breakaway feature of the plugin cable yet?

I thought I read something last year about companies experimenting with inductive charging solutions for EVs similar to what your electric toothbrush uses. I think there may be technical challenges with the system, but it could be fun. At least until the neighborhood cat decides to take a stroll over the charging mat and gets in the way of 40a careening through the air into the car.

A quick google search for "EV inductive charging" yields some interesting links:
http://www.google.com/search?q=ev+inductive+charging

-Chris

SeattleRav4 said:
I asked the Tesla guy when I put down my Tesla deposit (since pulled because i decided against a sedan) about people forgetting to plug or unplug. He laughed and said "you don't forget to plug in your cell phone, do you?" :)
Um actually, all the time.
Has anyone tested the breakaway feature of the plugin cable yet?

The car should have an interlock feature that displays a warning and prevents you from shifting into gear while the charger is connected.

Greetings all!

We pick up our new RAV4 EV tomorrow afternoon and I want to say how helpful and deeply informative I've found this forum as I was making my purchase decision and especially as I've made the decision about a charger. This thread in particular has been invaluable. So thanks.

I wanted to let everyone know that you can now order the Leviton 40a charger on line to be shipped to your home without also buying the installation package. Yesterday I noticed the "add to cart" button for the charger on the Leviton/Toyota website and I did so. Before an electrician friend offered to do my install too (he having just purchased his own new RAV4 EV just yesterday) I had put $100 down and was awaiting the scheduling of my site visit from the Leviton installer.

Today I got a call from Leviton confirming my purchase of the 40a charger and asking if I had my own electrician already lined up to do the install. When I told them I did they quickly said they'd cancel my site visit request and refund my $100 which they have indeed already done.

I had assumed that Leviton wouldn't sell the unit without the installation bundle based on what I had read in this thread, but that didn't turn out to be the current case. Interestingly, the Leviton 30a cannot be purchased without the installation package.

When I thought I couldn't get the 40a from Leviton I was ready to order the Leviton 32A based on Dsinned's experience, but they were sold out at Home Depot and I didn't see it available anywhere else.

I am lucky enough to have a subpanel in my garage which already has a 240 outlet with a dedicated circuit. My electrician will put in a new circuit breaker and use the Leviton install kit and we should be in good shape.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

I'm glad to see there are new members joining this site and WELCOME! The more the merrier! And I certainly agree, there is a lot of good info here. Also, please post how you like your RAV4 EVs and don't forget to register on the locator map.

http://www.zeemaps.com/Rav4EVOwners

Thanks all for posting your EVSE installation experiences. I am ready to put *two* additional 100Amp breakers for two EVSEs, am looking for an electrician. I appreciate any advise/recommandation on electricians in the Bay Area.

waidy said:
Thanks all for posting your EVSE installation experiences. I am ready to put *two* additional 100Amp breakers for two EVSEs, am looking for an electrician. I appreciate any advise/recommandation on electricians in the Bay Area.

I also live on bay area( San Ramon). I am looking getting the 40 amp charger installed.

Trust me. If you know how to plug in a lap top, you do NOT need to have these designated providers come to your house
and charge you an arm and leg. Nissan tried to do same thing.

Here is what I'd advise: buy the 40 amp. bottom fed plug (not hardwired) Leviton charger that Toyota recommends.
You can buy it off their web site with prewire kit...delivered to your house in under a week.

Call an electrician...they'll install a 50 amp breaker, run wire from panel to pre-wire kit 240 V plug, and hang on wall, and plug in.
Done.

It took my electrician 12 minutes. I watched him. He charged me $40.

The Electrical requirements vary and can cost more depending on the existing infrastructure you have for a new 240V outlet. In my case, I installed a 32A Leviton L2 EVSE "plug-in" home charging station. I ordered it from Home Depot at a cost of about $1200 with free shipping. I paid a local Electrician $375 for the needed infrastructure modification to my home as well.

The Electrician's work consisted of re-routing existing wiring in to my garage from the AC power distribution panel at the side of the house. Fortunately, there was already a "spare" 240V AC circuit and dedicated 40A breaker in my power panel for this wiring run. Fortunately, it just so happened to be long enough to reach that far away, about 50'.

This remaining work to reroute the wire had to be done in the crawl space under the house. Not a "user friendly" place to work in by any means! The end of the wire was fed into a right angle conduit that came up a wall on the side of my garage and out through a hole in the wall where the new 240V AC outlet was mounted for the "plug-in" charger.

The whole job took one Electrician about 4 hours and did not require my power company's involvement.

I hope this explains what is typically involved to install an off-the-shelf home L2 EVSE home charging station.

Back