Check EV System warning message

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dealer (Bob Smith Toyota in La Crescenta) called to let me know the RAV was ready. I haven't seen the paperwork and nothing has been posted to the Toyota owner site yet, but according to the rep, they pulled new software from Tesla and installed it. Hopefully not the same version that was installed on Tony's. ;-) Anyway... I plan on picking it up around noon and will update the post with whatever info I get.

sk

spkobay said:
Dealer (Bob Smith Toyota in La Crescenta) called to let me know the RAV was ready. I haven't seen the paperwork and nothing has been posted to the Toyota owner site yet, but according to the rep, they pulled new software from Tesla and installed it. Hopefully not the same version that was installed on Tony's. ;-) Anyway... I plan on picking it up around noon and will update the post with whatever info I get.

sk
Would you be so kind to test whether schedule time charge function works in this new version of software that just got pull from Tesla? Many thanks.

Ok... Got my RAV back. The dealer rep, while polite, was not a wealth of information. The notes from the service record are: "CHECK TRIANGLE WARNING LIGHT ON DASH ~|~CHECK TRIANGLE WARNING LIGHT ON DASH ~|~INCORRECT FIRMWARE CALIBRATION ~|~VERIFY WARNING LIGHT ON - UTILIZE TECHSTREAM AND PERFORM HEALTH CHECK AND ALERT CHECK ON TESLA SYSTEM - OBTAIN CODE P312F ELECTRIC PROPULSION CONTROL MODULE REQUESTED MIL ILLUMINATION - OPEN TAS CASE #131200623 - FOUND FIRMWARE REQUIRES UPDATE - PERFORMED". Going through the screens, nothing visually appears different.

Remembered to tell them to not place their advertisement/license plate frame on my car, but forgot to tell them to not dork with my tire pressure. So they were kind enough to drop the pressure to the "recommended" 32psi. I'll have to remember to increase that tonight when I get home.

@Waidy - I'll let you know if there is a behavioral difference with the timer charging; however, in two months, I only had two missed charge events. My timer is set for 8am departure, usually starts charging around midnight and finishes around 4/4:30. It then balances/tops around 7/7:30. Hopefully the firmware will cause it to charge more closely to the requested departure time, but will update with whatever I see.

^^^
BTW, if you're curious about Toyota Techstream and health check, https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/staticcontent/en/techinfo/html/prelogin/docs/ts/tsUserDemo.htm might prove interesting to those here.

I've seen a few videos were Techstream was used before.

BTW: When I had my "Check EV System" error, I posted about it in this thread. The OP in that thread had something similar and his issue turned out to be a loose wire on the ECU. I mentioned that to the dealer but they swore there were no loose wires in my car. They did claim that in the week they kept my car looking for a cause, that they had checked impedance on just about every single cable harness in the vehicle. And as I mentioned before, they found nothing wrong with my car.

spkobay said:
Tony.... So that you don't have to feel lonely in this club, I too am now a member. I got bitten yesterday morning. Got in to leave for work and got the error on startup. Power cycled hoping it was a passing error and it remained. Other than the error, the RAV was still drivable so I went ahead and dropped it at the dealer on my way to work. They sent me home with a 2011 Corolla - talk about downgrade.
Well you can count me in as the newest member of this club. Had the car on and parked and when I was all set to put it in gear I saw the warning. Power cycled and was then able to get it in D and drive off, but the error remained. Power cycled one more time after getting home and the error was still there, so I went ahead and took it in to Cerritos Toyota. After waiting about an hour they said they'll have to wait until Monday to get word from Toyota on what to do and sent me off in a Corolla. Sigh, and just this morning I was so proud of my Rav when a guy in a Model S stopped me to ask about it...

To clear the error due to EVSE compatibility, don't the instructions say to power cycle 4 times before it will clear? Might that apply here too if it's a transient error?

Toyota Marin has a Rav4EV loaner car. I get it every time I go in. Nobody else seems to want it and it's always available for me. It even has carpool stickers. I have easily been responsible for 90% of the miles on that car. It has my bluetooth memorized so I just jump in and go. I guess that means I get a loaner too often... :-(

^^^
That's a bummer. I didn't even ask for a better car or anything when I received a HyCam.

Side note: Long ago, Nissan was (and probably still is) very YMMV about loaners. I received one (from a now defunct dealer in Seattle) via a rental car agency. All they had left I think was a cargo van (I think) and a Chevy Metro. I ended up getting the Metro. Even though it was the 4-banger instead of 3, man... that was a crappy car. It was a huge step down from my 255 hp V6 Nissan Maxima that I had. :(

It was noisy, slow, had no power steering and a crappy ride.

waidy said:
fooljoe said:
I asked and they said nothing but Corollas.
Make sure you get reimburse for gas. The BMW ActiveE folks get $300 gas money when their ActiveEs in the shop for a month.
That's hilarious. I can just imagine the look on the Toyota Service writer's face when you ask for gas money.

^^^
Is it policy for Toyota to provide any gas money?

One guy I know w/an ActiveE (surfingslovak on MNL) had (IIRC) a lot more than a 1 month of downtime in total.

I see the ActiveE program as totally different than the Rav4 EV. The BMW is basically a field trial, so I would expect that it may take them longer to fix the cars because of parts that are not mass produced and in the dealer parts channel. Of course, the warranty work that TonyWilliams has had done is not exactly routine either, but still. Also, BMW's "Electronaut" positioning makes it easy for me to see why they would reimburse for gas on extended gas loaner use.

What is the longest someone has been without their RAV4 EV due to warranty service? It may not have even occurred to anyone at Toyota that gas reimbursement is something people would want or ask for.

^^^
In the case of surfingslovak's ActiveE, IIRC, they replaced the motor, battery pack and more. I recall he said that BMW had to truck it down to So Cal (he lives in Nor Cal) to get it fixed at least 2x. He said that they now can fix them in Nor Cal.

Found his post at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9872&p=224524&hilit=weeks#p224524 mentioning his was out of service for 9 weeks.

Well in my case at least I still have my Leaf as well, so I don't really intend to use the Corolla except to get back to the dealer to pick up my Rav. Oh, and it was a 2013 Corolla at least. :)

I guess next time (here's hoping that "next time" isn't anytime soon) maybe I should ask around to see what kind of loaner cars various Toyota dealers have.

@Waidy, et al... Regarding charge timer behavior post update. Please note my previous comment that in a little over two months with the RAV, I have experienced timer failures only twice. I charge at 30A on a Coulomb evse and am scheduled for an 8am daily departure. With my usage, charging generally starts a little after midnight and concludes around 4/4:30 and then a quick balance/topping a little before 8. It's only been a few days since the software update to my RAV and so far, I don't see much change in the charging behavior.

If I see any change, I'll update you and let you know back in the timer thread.

sk

Well... I guess I have joined the few with charging issues.

Went out this morning after plugging in yesterday afternoon and the car was dead. Photos below. Had it towed to dealership for service.
Yesterday I had 31 miles on the the last full charge and plugged in the 120V EVSE for an overnight top off. Dead this morning. It is almost like the overnight charge had drained the battery which I am sure is not the case. Waiting to see what they say. I imagine they will update charger firmware. The vehicle has worked great without any issues until now. As we say in general aviation... the engine was running great until it quit! :shock:
First it showed this...

Then this...

^^^^

That's a little scary. Definitely post back when you have details...

How many miles were left on the charge when you parked? Did they cover the tow?

Back