Check EV System warning message

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup. I initialized the charge cycle with the "charge now" when you turn it off. Last time I checked around 9 pm it still showed about 6 hours left to charge. Will the charger start with the car turned on?

TonyWilliams said:
AvLegends said:
Yup. Last time I checked around 9 pm it still showed about 6 hours left to charge. Will the charger start with the car turned on?

Nope. It's a safety feature so that you don't drive away with an electrically hot cord attached that you will soon rip out of the wall.
Yes, that confirms it... the car was turned off and the charge now was initialized. The Entune charge start notification email was sent at 3:42 yesterday afternoon and a charge failure notification email was sent at 5:56 am this morning.

You had me wondering for a minuet if I did leave it on! :?

Side note... they did give me a new 2013 Avalon Hybrid oil burner as a loaner... nice car :) . My salesman Al Gaines even is going to buy my gas that I use. :)

AvLegends said:
Side note... they did give me a new 2013 Avalon Hybrid oil burner as a loaner... nice car :) . My salesman Al Gaines even is going to buy my gas that I use. :)

BMW buys the gas for the ActiveE guys (and, oh boy, have they had problems!!).

Looking again at your pics, I would have crawled under the car and measured the pack voltage before they towed it. It might be "bricked".

TonyWilliams said:
BMW buys the gas for the ActiveE guys (and, oh boy, have they had problems!!).

Looking again at your pics, I would have crawled under the car and measure the pack voltage before they towed it. It might be "bricked".
What is the consequences of bricking?

TonyWilliams said:
Looking again at your pics, I would have crawled under the car and measure the pack voltage before they towed it. It might be "bricked".
Where would I have checked the pack voltage? It was showing between 110 and 120 miles per each standard charge.

AvLegends said:
Very nice! I've never driven one yet as they're quite new.

That's a fry cry from the Corollas some others have been getting.

AvLegends said:
TonyWilliams said:
Where would I have checked the pack voltage? It was showing between 110 and 120 miles per each standard charge.

Bricking is exactly what the Roadsters had. It can reverse polarities on cells, and damage the battery. You'd need to crawl under the car, remove the aerodynamic belly covers, and remove the main fuse cover at the front of the battery.

DANGER --->>> if you don't know what you're doing at this point, STOP. 400 volts DC will KILL YOU and IT WILL HURT WHILE YOU'RE DYING.

Anyhoo, just put a voltmeter on it at the fuse. I don't honestly know if that's down stream of the main contactor of not.

Well, great. Hopefully Toyota covers those bricked batteries and doesn't just foot customers with the bill like I read about. Then again, in AvLegends case, I doubt that is his fault at all... like in the case of the roadsters.

Well damn, not sure how I would dig out of that one if this were to happen to me here in NY. As badly as I want this car, I might have to rethink this.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Talked to the service writer (who I have known for 15+ years) around 5 pm and he said the car was charging and would know more in the morning. The service tech has been in touch with both Toyota and Tesla and they are going over the trouble codes that were present.

ground_gainer said:
As an out of stater, this thread scares the crap out of me ; )

I live in California and it scares the crap out of me.

AvLegends said:
Talked to the service writer (who I have known for 15+ years) around 5 pm and he said the car was charging and would know more in the morning. The service tech has been in touch with both Toyota and Tesla and they are going over the trouble codes that were present.

Sweet! At least we know it wasn't some exploding battery extravaganza. Thanks fit the updates. I really appreciate it.

Vach said:
ground_gainer said:
As an out of stater, this thread scares the crap out of me ; )

I live in California and it scares the crap out of me.

AvLegends said:

Sweet! At least we know it wasn't some exploding battery extravaganza. Thanks fit the updates. I really appreciate it.
I'm not worried... that's what warranty coverage is for. :) I was more pissed off that my schedule this morning was tossed in the crapper. Discovered problem at 8:00 am. Didn't get back from the dealer with loaner until around noon. Tow took almost 2 hours to arrive.

Guys, it's a machine. A limited production one that nobody REALLY wanted to make. One that costs Toyota MILLIONS of dollars.

It's gunna break. If you are afraid of that, I definitely wouldn't buy one wherever you live. The good news is that it's unlikely that Toyota will not fix things.

AvLegends said:
I'm not worried... that's what warranty coverage is for. :) I was more pissed off that my schedule this morning was tossed in the crapper. Discovered problem at 8:00 am. Didn't get back from the dealer with loaner until around noon. Tow took almost 2 hours to arrive.

I know, just from what I've read about Tesla and their battery issues with their older stuff I wanted to see how Toyota handled this situation. Did they pay for the tow?

Vach said:
Did they pay for the tow?
Oh yeah... that's part of Toyota roadside assistance. We get 3 years with the Rav4EV. Had 3 years with my '12 Prius Plug in as well. 2 years with all other new Toyotas. Must be a plug in sort of thing! :)

Vach said:
How many miles were left on the charge when you parked?
Sorry... missed this question. About 89 from what I remember. Any more than this and it takes too long to charge at 120V.

Back