Clipper Creek 32 amp vs 48 amp EVSE

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldSkoolPhishing

Good morning. I am a brand new Rav4EV owner. The vehicle hasn't even arrived yet. I would like to know the real world charging time difference between the Clipper Creek 32 amp and 48 amp EVSE. There is a significant cost differential, a little over $300 and 48 amp is also more charging power than the RAV4 can handle. Is it really worth the money for the decreased charging time.
I kind of assumed an extra hour or two of charging time, would not really make a difference. I would appreciate anyones real world experience. Thanks in advance.

OldSkoolPhishing said:
Good morning. I am a brand new Rav4EV owner. The vehicle hasn't even arrived yet. I would like to know the real world charging time difference between the Clipper Creek 32 amp and 48 amp EVSE. There is a significant cost differential, a little over $300 and 48 amp is also more charging power than the RAV4 can handle. Is it really worth the money for the decreased charging time.
I kind of assumed an extra hour or two of charging time, would not really make a difference. I would appreciate anyones real world experience. Thanks in advance.
I have a 30a EVSE. Most nights my charge is done in 2-3 hours. If the car is absolutely run down to nothing, a normal charge takes 5 and a half hours. An extended charge typically takes an hour and a half more. Someone who has a 40a+ EVSE can give you the real world numbers for that, but considering that for the last 20% or so of the charge, the rate is limited by the battery, not the EVSE, I'd think you wouldn't shave more than an hour or so off of those numbers.

The only time the difference is going to be meaningful is if you are trying to get a daytime charge session while you have to wait for the car. Say if you ran around all day, and wanted to go out again that night. The other time the difference might be meaningful is during a trip, but since these aren't portable, they won't affect that scenario anyway.

The onboard charger is 40 amps, so anything more than that won't help. Something like our JESLA or future JAMP JR are both 40 amps capable.

Anything less than that will take more time to charge.

All times assume you have 240 volts available. Commercial power is 208 volt. Battery takes 50kWh to fully recharge from fully depleted when new:

40 amps * 240 volts = 9.6kW @ 85% efficency takes almost 6 hours (about 28 miles added per hour)

32 amps * 240 volts = 7.7kW @ 85% efficincy takes almost 8 hours (about 22 miles added per hour charging)

At the house, you could probably charge overnight at 20 amps and be fine. But, when you need a boost in the middle of the day is when time counts.

If you are charging outside "on the road", nothing beats 240 volts at 40 amps (9.6kW) with a JESLA compared to 208 volts at 30 amps (6.2kW) for public J1772 charging.

OldSkoolPhishing said:
I have the Leviton 40A station and I've only made use of the maximum charging rate once in 18 months of ownership. It was on Thanksgiving Day when I had an airport run in the morning and a long-ish drive to family dinner that afternoon. That is the only time I've cared how long it took for the car to charge at home.

The 32A unit requires a 40A breaker, 40A unit requires 50A breaker and the 48A unit requires a 60A breaker. The decision should be based on your electrical capacity and ease of install for each of those circuit sizes. Also, the 32A and 40A units can be easily installed with a plug and socket (NEMA 14-50 or NEMA 6-50) while the 48A unit is typically hard-wired only. The 60A sockets and plugs (NEMA 14-60) are not that common.

You should consult an electrician to see if any or all of those circuit sizes can be accommodated in your electrical panel.

OldSkoolPhishing said:
Congratulation to your owning a ne Rav4EV.

I have the CC 48amp one installed at home(Rav4EV just pull up to 40amp from it). Since it's scheduled to charge in early AM while I am sleeping, I don't really "feel" the faster time it takes to charge. The Rav4EV can usually charge up in about 2.5 hours after a typical 65 miles round trip to work. However, on the rare occasion that I actually had to wait for it to charge up enough to make additional trip, I definitely appreciated the faster charging capability.

Whenever I had to charge on the road(away from home) where I need to wait for it to charge up, I definitely feel the faster 40Amp charge versus the slower 30amp charge. Even though 30amp charging probably result in under an hour of extra charge time, somehow the feeling of the slowness can be frustrating.

You'll likely not feel the faster charging if you never have to "wait" for it to charge.(like charging when you are sleeping). But whenever you actually need to wait for it to finish charging to go somewhere, I think you'll really appreciate the 'minutes' it saves you. As to whether it's worthy of the price difference, only you would know the answer to that. Hope this helps.

Back