dead car!

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PearlRav

I have had my rav4ev for about 2 months now. Last night it charged full.
This morning I tried to start the car. It tried to do something, then died.
I opened the hood and there was a clicking sound coming from the left side of the engine compartment.

It's now completely dead. Waiting for the car to be towed to the dealer.

Anyone seen this before? It seems the utility battery just went dead.
The drivetrain battery seems fully charged. I tried reinserting the charger cable but it won't do anything.

I had similar experience. Turns out the 12 v aux battery was just drained. Just have the car jumped and just leave it on "Ready" to charge it up.

I had mine towed to the dealer, they wanted $152 for checking out the error codes and charging the 12v battery!!! I did talk the price down, but am reminded again whyI stopped going to the dealer. Charging batteries are not covered under warranty.

Good luck.

Luckyduckie said:
I had similar experience. Turns out the 12 v aux battery was just drained. Just have the car jumped and just leave it on "Ready" to charge it up.

I had mine towed to the dealer, they wanted $152 for checking out the error codes and charging the 12v battery!!! I did talk the price down, but am reminded again whyI stopped going to the dealer. Charging batteries are not covered under warranty.

Good luck.
But I'm concerned that this < 2 month old car either has a bad 12V battery or fails to properly charge this battery during normal operation.
Sure I can jump it but what if next time I get stuck on the road rather than in my garage? Seems to me something is broken in the car which Toyota should fix.
If I left the car on inadvertently it would not have charged, correct?

PearlRav said:
Sure I can jump it but what if next time I get stuck on the road rather than in my garage? Seems to me something is broken in the car which Toyota should fix.
If I left the car on inadvertently it would not have charged, correct?

I won't charge if the car is turned on.

Yes, something is killing your 12 volt, or it's not being charged (bad DC to DC converter) or the battery itself is bad.

My 2010 Toyota Sienna minivan had the same battery that failed in one year. A failed cabin heater will take out the DC to DC.

Does your cabin heater work?

rcsting said:
PearlRav

Any update ?
I have an apt with the dealer on Friday. In the meantime I trickle charged the 12V overnight and it's working again. We'll see how it holds up until Friday...
I checked and the rear door light was off and the dome lights were on 'doors' position. I have now turned them all off.
Today is day 1 after trickle charge and I have been able to start and drive for 3 trips so far.

Same thing just happened to me. Dead car.

I put the 12v battery on a trickle charger and the car eventually came back. I had service and the most recent software update last week, could that have caused the issue?

Now I'm wondering if I should take it in or not.

I had the same thing happen with the original 12v battery after i left the Rav4 for about 10 days without starting it (i was on a trip, and the garage it was in gets fairly warm in summer).

I replaced the battery with a new one the same size and i've never had the problem recur.

n3ckf said:
I had the same thing happen with the original 12v battery after i left the Rav4 for about 10 days without starting it (i was on a trip, and the garage it was in gets fairly warm in summer).

I replaced the battery with a new one the same size and i've never had the problem recur.

One battery tender / trickle charger pays for itself in lieu of one battery replacement. When you park any modern car with telematics for more than a few days, use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Plus-Charger/dp/B00068XCQU

One battery tender / trickle charger pays for itself in lieu of one battery replacement. When you park any modern car with telematics for more than a few days, use this:

Ordered it this morning from Amazon and got it with same-day shipping this afternoon. I noticed on the package of the Battery Tender Plus there is a label stating "Not for Sale in California" and I'm in California. I went to the manufacturer's website http://www.batterytender.com and several of their battery charging products also have the same sales restriction. Not sure why.

tjka4231 said:

Ordered it this morning from Amazon and got it with same-day shipping this afternoon. I noticed on the package of the Battery Tender Plus there is a label stating "Not for Sale in California" and I'm in California. I went to the manufacturer's website http://www.batterytender.com and several of their battery charging products also have the same sales restriction. Not sure why.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't meet the energy efficiency requirements. For example, the Junior appears to be based on an iron transformer wall wart, while the Waterproof 800 is universal input so it likely uses a switching power supply. Switchers are inherently more efficient. They also have models that are specifically called out for "High Efficiency" and none of those are marked "Not for Sale in California".

Back