EVSE J1772 Compatibility Thread for RAV4 EV

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked the main page in a couple of the others with the search feature, but I can't find it, is the following unit compatible?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0083ZZFEA/ref=mw_dp_sim_ps1?pi=SY125

Vach said:
I checked the main page in a couple of the others with the search feature, but I can't find it, is the following unit compatible?

I have a suspicion that this is the same unit internally as the new Blink "Gen II", Bosch and Delta. They should all work.

Vach said:
Thanks.

What causes all these incompatibilities anyway? It's it internal or firmware?

It's both the EVSE side and the Tesla side. One issue is that apparently Tesla checks for a negative 12 volt 1kHz waveform and at least the 2011-2012 LEAF EVSE doesn't provide one. I haven't physically seen that on an o-scope myself.

Is a fix possible on either end (EVSE or car)? We also have 2011 Nissan LEAF and it is a little frustrating to have an upgraded EVSE for the LEAF that doesn't work at all on the 2012 RAV4-EV.

arnold

Got my SPX Power Xpress back with the firmware update today. It now works with the RAV4 and the LEAF with end time only. :D

I can confirm that the Siemens charger works well, and is very easy to install due to its 'plug & play' design. All you (or your favorite electrically-inclined friend) needs to do is mount the appropriate outlet and put a couple of screws into a stud for the bracket.
I also tried to go with the Bosch unit, but they make it very hard to buy for the 'advertised price' by essentially insisting that one of their 'approved installers' has to put it in. Sheesh...

pchilds said:
Got my SPX Power Xpress back with the firmware update today. It now works with the RAV4 and the LEAF with end time only. :D

Excellent! Mine is all boxed up and ready to send out to them. A couple questions:

- How long did it take to get yours back after you shipped it (by ground, I assume)?

- Does the new firmware do anything else? Bosch now advertises the Power Xpress as 12 - 30A, and I was wondering if the new firmware limits the highest current to 30 Amps (instead of 32, which requires a new cord).

It still does 32 amps. They turned it around the same day, I shipped it to them FedEx, because they don't charge extra for insurance up to $1000. Shipped it out on Friday 5th, from SoCal.

1068927_10151703497243704_490769365_n.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
Vach said:

I have a suspicion that this is the same unit internally as the new Blink "Gen II", Bosch and Delta. They should all work.

I have this exact charger and it works fine.

n3ckf said:
I have this exact charger and it works fine.

Like its name implies, this charger is very versatile. It has an adjustable amperage setting, and in one configuration it slips onto a bracket so it could also be used as a portable unit.

It has up to an 8 hour delay feature. I also has some dry contacts that can be used to control the charger. Either of those could be used to charge at a time that the energy rates are the lowest. This could be especially handy if Toyota never solves the timer issue.

Back