EVSE J1772 Compatibility Thread for RAV4 EV

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I got a little confused of the options you posted... after re-reading, it's actually not hard to grasp =)

I'd love to see someone posting pics of option#1. Tesla would make a lot of money if they can sell a Model-S 40A mobile charger with a J1772 cord already hooked up... for say, $500 ! or a reverse adapter, S-female to male-J1772

Not sure what all the talk about some Tesla charger is about ;-), but I noticed that the Siemens VC30BLKB 30-Amp Bottom Fed VersiCharge has not been mentioned. We have had it for about a month now with no issues to report so far. Works great with our Volt and the RAV4 EV. Was 850 on Amazon for a while, now it appears to have gone up in price to 995. Great charger though. Also has the option of delayed charge... 2,4,6, or 8 hours.

it's an indoor charger, 30a, model ev230ws

it is the second generation

http://products.schneider-electric.us/products-services/products/electric-vehicle-charging-stations/indoor-electric-vehicle-charging-station/

compatible?
thanks

TonyWilliams said:
No, the CS6365 won't work for this (the Roadster UMC has that connector already if you really want those).

DON'T SOLDER THOSE PINS !!!!!
The Roadster UMC has the CS6364/CS6365 for connecting adapters upstream from the EVSE. I'm talking about downstream. And since the CS connectors have 3 conductors + ground, I'm still not sure why you'd think it wouldn't work for hot/hot/pilot/ground - unless you have some reason to believe that the proximity wire is needed by the TMC even though it's not for other EVSEs.

And what's your rationale for admonishing soldering? I got the idea from this example of a conversion to J1772, and Chris Howell recommends soldering instead of crimping connectors for his Open-EVSE project.

That old Avcon in the example photo looks like my ClipperCreek. :)

fooljoe said:
I got the idea from this example of a conversion to J1772, and Chris Howell recommends soldering instead of crimping connectors for his Open-EVSE project.

AvLegends said:
That old Avcon in the example photo looks like my ClipperCreek. :)

fooljoe said:
I got the idea from this example of a conversion to J1772, and Chris Howell recommends soldering instead of crimping connectors for his Open-EVSE project.

It is the same. Also the 70 amp "Tesla Roadster chargers" are Clipper Creek with a Tesla sticker.

fooljoe said:
TonyWilliams said:
No, the CS6365 won't work for this (the Roadster UMC has that connector already if you really want those).

DON'T SOLDER THOSE PINS !!!!!
The Roadster UMC has the CS6364/CS6365 for connecting adapters upstream from the EVSE. I'm talking about downstream. And since the CS connectors have 3 conductors + ground, I'm still not sure why you'd think it wouldn't work for hot/hot/pilot/ground - unless you have some reason to believe that the proximity wire is needed by the TMC even though it's not for other EVSEs.

And what's your rationale for admonishing soldering? I got the idea from this example of a conversion to J1772, and Chris Howell recommends soldering instead of crimping connectors for his Open-EVSE project.

Good points. I don't know if the Model S need the proximity wire, nor do I want to assume it doesn't until I've tried it. But, as you know, the EVSE normally doesn't need it.

Those pins in the quoted example ARE meant to be soldered. Normally, they are crimp on pins. So, I guess I should have said "use the correct attaching method for the pins supplied... some with be crimped and some will be soldered, depending on the pin construction."

gary2020 said:
it's an indoor charger, 30a, model ev230ws

it is the second generation

http://products.schneider-electric.us/products-services/products/electric-vehicle-charging-stations/indoor-electric-vehicle-charging-station/

compatible?
thanks

Look to the first post in this thread.

There's only a few that don't work, because neither Tesla, nor the EVSE manufacturers followed the J1772 protocol exactly.

The EVSE used in a 2011-2012 Nissan LEAF won't work (no negative 12 volt square wave), and the 2013 version won't work without modification. To be clear, this applies to all Tesla cars, also.

The SPX units

One more?

yes, i saw the first post stating the schneider ev2430ws is compatible, this is the first gen.

the unit i am wondering is the ev 230ws, the second generation.

so if the first generation works, the second one probably does too, right?
what do you think?

this second generation was not available to be tested by toyota at the time since it's new.

gary2020 said:
yes, i saw the first post stating the schneider ev2430ws is compatible, this is the first gen.

the unit i am wondering is the ev 230ws, the second generation.

so if the first generation works, the second one probably does too, right?
what do you think?

this second generation was not available to be tested by toyota at the time since it's new.

I'm confident it will work, except for the few that are listed that don't.

I plugged my 2013 Volt EVSE into the RAV for the first time today and it works fine. I noticed it was already on the clear list, but wanted to add another confirmation.

I'm trying to decide whether to charge the RAV as much as possible during the summer with 110, as my garage temps have already tipped 90 degrees and it's difficult to cool it down during the summer. Can anyone confirm whether the cooling system will still be active with only the L1 plugged in? I know it won't heat up the batteries as much charging them at a slower rate, but I do want active cooling.

I ran electricity for a hybrid water heater to replace the gas unit in my garage, so hopefully that'll help a bit when I get it installed sometime this month, but I'm not planning on running AC out there.

My hunch is that the TMS could take more than 1.44kW, since it uses the same AC pump as the cabin air conditioning.

That means the TMS either will not work at all, or it will take some battery in addition to the 120 volts * 12 amps = 1.44kW from the wall, and will all the liquid coolant pumps working during charge to cool the cells, the efficient rate will be HORRID !!! Like 70% or less.

70% of 1.44kW means that I don't think there is a chance in that brutal heat to charge and cool properly on the stock EVSE.

I was actually surprised that my new Leviton 40A station doesn't cause the car to make any different sounds that what it did on the included 120V EVSE. Just the same coolant circulation pump sounds, etc. Also, the Leviton does not make the deep solid "thunk" that the Clipper Creek units did on my buying adventure. The contact closure in the Leviton is much softer. Also, it appears that the Leviton has an extra and intentional 3 second delay between plugging the J-plug and completing the connection negotiation.

Since I'm going to have to pay a fair amount of $$ to get solid power to my garage, including replacing the old 100-amp main panel, it seems that I should just go ahead and get 40-amp charging. The Leviton recommended by Toyota (or the Home Depot equivalent) would be fine except it doesn't have delay-charging, and from what I've been reading, the RAV4's car-based timed charging (and preheating) rarely works correctly, nor does the Entune charging app seem to get anything but crappy reviews (mostly for 'not working at all' with most combinations of smartphones and service providers).

This is disappointing to me (and everyone else), because I would very much like to use those 2 features.

There seem to be many many other better-looking choices (Blink, Schneider-electric) that also have more features (delay-charging, timed-charging, internet connectivity)...BUT most or all are 30amp service....which is fine except, again, I'm paying lots of money to get power to my garage, so I'd also rather get max charging rate for not much more money.

Is there an 'easy' option I'm missing that will meet my needs?

The Model S UMC mod seems like a good route, and I'm capable of (and would enjoy) doing the mod, but I'm ridiculously busy with work/life. Sigh. Anybody want to sell me a ready-to-go modified UMC for a decent markup?

mudpie said:
There seem to be many many other better-looking choices (Blink, Schneider-electric) that also have more features (delay-charging, timed-charging, internet connectivity)...
The Model S UMC mod seems like a good route, and I'm capable of (and would enjoy) doing the mod, but I'm ridiculously busy with work/life. Sigh. Anybody want to sell me a ready-to-go modified UMC for a decent markup?

DON'T GET A BLINK !!!! They are absolutely the worst. After one melted the pins on my Rav4, I don't even like using them "in the wild". I carry an infrared thermometer to measure the heat generated while using any Blink.

I might be interested in your mod. UMC + J1772 is about $700 in hardware, plus my time. I'll do it for $900 plus shipping to you.

Sounds good, I'll avoid the form-over-function Blink. Too bad! I like the appearance. Well, it also had the 'problem' of only being 30amp.

Tony, that sounds like a great deal, and I'm all over it if you think you'll be able to order, build, and ship this out by mid next week (hopefully that is when the electrical work will be done, and I'll have received my RAV4 too). Please PM me and we'll work out details.

Because I have a very snug garage, I would love to keep the new 50-amp electrical circuit that I'm having installed terminate in a simple 14-50 or 6-50 socket (which one is more standard for a charging application?), and not have that bulky Leviton charging station box on the wall. Furthermore, the RAV4 will be parked outside the garage, and I'd run the cable under the garage door.

Thanks for this forum! I love it!

TonyWilliams said:
I might be interested in your mod. UMC + J1772 is about $700 in hardware, plus my time. I'll do it for $900 plus shipping to you.
Did you finish your mod yet? I take this means you gave up on the Model S inlet idea and just put a J1772 on it? Show us some pics!

Would love to see pics as well, I bet many of us would buy one from you (assuming making more than 1 still makes sense to you, financially).

mudpie said:
Sounds good, I'll avoid the form-over-function Blink. Too bad! I like the appearance. Well, it also had the 'problem' of only being 30amp.

Tony, that sounds like a great deal, and I'm all over it if you think you'll be able to order, build, and ship this out by mid next week (hopefully that is when the electrical work will be done, and I'll have received my RAV4 too). Please PM me and we'll work out details.

Because I have a very snug garage, I would love to keep the new 50-amp electrical circuit that I'm having installed terminate in a simple 14-50 or 6-50 socket (which one is more standard for a charging application?), and not have that bulky Leviton charging station box on the wall. Furthermore, the RAV4 will be parked outside the garage, and I'd run the cable under the garage door.

Thanks for this forum! I love it!

If you mean in 10 days, probably. I'm waiting for a new J1772 plug to arrive.

Please put one of the RV outside 14-50 plug receptacles you can buy at Home Depot so that you don't have to put the cord under the garage. I have one at my house just for that (and friends coming over).

Back