EVSE J1772 Compatibility Thread for RAV4 EV

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SeaMonster,

Thanks SO much!

I have always gone to the "New and Main Toyota Rav4 EV Forum Discussions" area.

I had "tunnel vision" and never realized there was a "Toyota Rav4 EV Owners" Section area.

I have a lot of reading to catch up on!

I feel a lot better knowing that this is a widespread issue and Toyota is working on it.

This threads seems to have taken a little bit of a tangent, but I wanted to report that I tried to use our Voltec EVSE with the Rav4 today and it charged fine. My battery was pretty full already, so it was only an 1.5 hour charge, but it completed fine with no errors. OP might want to update the first post to show there are conflicting reports on the Voltec being compatible, although I have not seen any first hand observations that the Voltec did not work.

I've been told that the reason that the Panasonic EVSE used in the 2011-2012 LEAF does not work in the Rav4 is because that unit does not use negative 12 volts in the 1kHz square wave.

Yes, it's part of the J1772 standard, and most vehicles are not looking for that part of the signal, including the LEAF. Apparently, the Rav4 (and presumably all Tesla cars) is looking for it, even though it doesn't add any known data to the J1772 protocol.

The new Panasonic EVSE used in the 2013 LEAF (but is significantly different than the EVSE used in the Rav4 and Prius) produces the proper signal.

I am researching if there is a good portable EVSE (similar to the EVSE Upgrade) that will work with both the LEAF and the RAV4 EV. I'd prefer something more powerful than the EVSE Upgrade for the Toyota RAV4 EV EVSE as it is my understanding that that peaks out at 12 amps. Maybe something that would also work with the Quick220 which apparently peaks at 20 amps? Any suggestions?

Darren said:
I am researching if there is a good portable EVSE (similar to the EVSE Upgrade) that will work with both the LEAF and the RAV4 EV. I'd prefer something more powerful than the EVSE Upgrade for the Toyota RAV4 EV EVSE as it is my understanding that that peaks out at 12 amps. Maybe something that would also work with the Quick220 which apparently peaks at 20 amps? Any suggestions?

Yes, get the Tesla Model S 40 amp portable EVSE and cut off the Tesla nozzle and put on a J1772.

The Roadster one would be my second choice. About $1500.

TonyWilliams said:
Darren said:

Yes, get the Tesla Model S 40 amp portable EVSE and cut off the Tesla nozzle and put on a J1772.

Would I have to buy these directly from Tesla? I'm not finding much through Google and Ebay.

Darren said:
TonyWilliams said:
Darren said:

Would I have to buy these directly from Tesla? I'm not finding much through Google and Ebay.

Absolutely through Tesla only.

Fwiw, there is some company over in Europe selling a "universal" charger (J1772 compatible) that as I recall accepts 220VAC from a wall outlet and outputs up to 16A. I think it is a Swedish company and the price is something like $745 + shipping of course. I'll try to find that company's website link and post an update later. It has a more useful charge port with status LEDs and maybe a flashlight, much nicer design then the OEM charge cords supplied with EVs in the U.S.

***UPDATE***

Here's the link: http://charge-amps.com/um-evse

That does look like a viable choice. I am at the same point - researching alternatives for a portable 220V EVSE. My setup at home works great but I need a solution to take on the road. Dragging the very heavy Levition 40A off the wall and the associated problem of limiting the current if I use an adapter to hook it to a 30A dryer outlet doesn't appeal.
At $600 for the 25A CC, it probably makes more sense than a DIY EVSE at $500 plus labor.

On a side note, after 3 months of a very steep learning curve I now understand Tony's advice on home EVSEs. Namely, use the supplied Panasonic 110v until you find a Clipper Creek refurbished on Ebay. It is not that critical to have 220V, I proved quickly to myself that for normal commuting operations the 110v works just fine. No, it won't support off peak charging and such but it works.

Meanwhile there were no Clipper Creek units on Ebay when I looked but they are there now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clipper-Creek-CS-60-J1772-60-Amp-EV-Charger-Level-2-Charger-/261172628029?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item3ccf1a0a3d
If someone really wants the 40A Levition, I will sell my "like new" but "fully tested" one for $1300 and get one of the Clipper Creeks for $750. Afte the tax credit, it only comes to about $200 difference but that is still $200.

SeattleRav4 said:
That does look like a viable choice. I am at the same point - researching alternatives for a portable 220V EVSE. My setup at home works great but I need a solution to take on the road. Dragging the very heavy Levition 40A off the wall and the associated problem of limiting the current if I use an adapter to hook it to a 30A dryer outlet doesn't appeal.
At $600 for the 25A CC, it probably makes more sense than a DIY EVSE at $500 plus labor.
And.. Now you have Tony's YAGS (yet another good suggestion) on getting the Tesla portable, cut the S connector and connect with a J-connecor. I saw somewhere (I don't remember which, perhaps teslamotorsclub?) that someone purchased another portable for his/her Model S for $5xx, then there were flood of follow up posts saying that they are in back order. That's a true 40Amp with 14-50 plug.

Seems like there are plenty of the Clipper Creek ones still on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clipper-Creek-CS-60-J1772-60-Amp-EV-Charger-Level-2-Charger-/261178614518?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item3ccf7562f6

Would there be any issues with claiming the tax rebate on a unit thats refurbished and purchased through ebay?

Darren said:
... the Clipper Creek units and came across their LCS model.

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/ClipperCreekInc/-strse-6/Level-2-EVSE,-Level/Detail.bok

Why couldn't it be used as a portable 25 amp unit?

First, this unit likely is 20 amps, on a 25 amp breaker. So, you'll need to add a plug. I recommend a L6-20P so that you can use the many ready made pigtails:

http://www.EVSEadapters.com

nema6-50sm.jpg

But, there are a few problems. You likely couldn't use this unit on a 20 amp breaker which is typical in motel air conditioners (when you're out on the road, this comes in VERY handy). But, for dryers (typical 30 amp breaker) and RV parks with "50 amp RV service" using a NEMA 14-50 pigtail, it will be great.

Single greatest problem for some: NO 120 VOLT OPERATION !!! Great price and likely a great product from a solid company:

LCS-25, Level 2 Charging Station
Price: $595.00
Retail: $795.00
You Save: $200.00
This item is in stock

a64735b12ec466b22c2cf8_m.jpg

klusters said:
Would there be any issues with claiming the tax rebate on a unit thats refurbished and purchased through ebay?

Definitely curious as well.

According to the instructions for Form 8911 "• The original use of the property began with you."
I read this to mean if it is reburbished off Ebay, it would qualify but if it were a resold used item, it would not.

Incidentally, I found out that the Vehicle Refueling credit can be reduced by the EV credit in certain tax situations. I happened to buy the EV in 2012 and the Vehicle Refueling equipment in 2013, just 6 days apart, so it didn't catch me but only by chance.

TonyWilliams said:
Darren said:
... the Clipper Creek units and came across their LCS model.

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/ClipperCreekInc/-strse-6/Level-2-EVSE,-Level/Detail.bok

Why couldn't it be used as a portable 25 amp unit?

First, this unit likely is 20 amps, on a 25 amp breaker. So, you'll need to add a plug. I recommend a L6-20P so that you can use the many ready made pigtails:

http://www.EVSEadapters.com

nema6-50sm.jpg

But, there are a few problems. You likely couldn't use this unit on a 20 amp breaker which is typical in motel air conditioners (when you're out on the road, this comes in VERY handy). But, for dryers (typical 30 amp breaker) and RV parks with "50 amp RV service" using a NEMA 14-50 pigtail, it will be great.

Single greatest problem for some: NO 120 VOLT OPERATION !!! Great price and likely a great product from a solid company:

LCS-25, Level 2 Charging Station
Price: $595.00
Retail: $795.00
You Save: $200.00
This item is in stock
The items from evseadapters.com are made for the Leaf converted EVSE. They are using 20 amp connectors which are insufficient for the 25 amp Clipper Creek unit. The LCS-25 would make a good portable EVSE for 208-240VAC operation. Personally, I would fit a NEMA L6-30P twist-lock to the EVSE, then make cords like the ones at evseadapters.com to connect to NEMA 14-30 (dryer outlet) and NEMA 14-50 (RV park).
This diagram from Wikipedia is very useful.
NEMA_simplified_pins.svg

miimura said:
TonyWilliams said:
The items from evseadapters.com are made for the Leaf converted EVSE. They are using 20 amp connectors which are insufficient for the 25 amp Clipper Creek unit.

I think you missed the part where I guessed that this unit was 20 amps, not 25.

Here are the pigtails that Tesla offers, each with a 50 amp CS6365 plug:

chart-2_grande.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
miimura said:
TonyWilliams said:
The items from evseadapters.com are made for the Leaf converted EVSE. They are using 20 amp connectors which are insufficient for the 25 amp Clipper Creek unit.

I think you missed the part where I guessed that this unit was 20 amps, not 25.

Here are the pigtails that Tesla offers, each with a 50 amp CS6365 plug:
I didn't miss it, I really thought this was a 25 amp unit. However, you are right. Clipper Creek says the unit is "nearly 5kW", so assuming a 240VAC circuit, it is really only pulling 20A on a 25A breaker. However, it is also safest to use plugs and sockets with the same rating as the breaker, maintaining the 80% rule. So, I stand by my opinion that the 20A adapter cords are not stout enough for this unit. These adapter cords are quite easy to make because there are screw-together plugs and sockets readily available.

Back