EVSE J1772 Compatibility Thread for RAV4 EV

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
Darren said:
Yes, get the Tesla Model S 40 amp portable EVSE and cut off the Tesla nozzle and put on a J1772.
Hi Tony, have you done your Model S UMC conversion (by replacing the S-connector with 70Amp J-connector) yet? Is it just as easy as passing thru all 5 wires to the appropriate 5 pins in the J-connector?

My Tesla part adviser just called and said my UMC is here for me to pick up. My 70Amp J-connector won't be here until Friday.

waidy said:
TonyWilliams said:
Darren said:
Yes, get the Tesla Model S 40 amp portable EVSE and cut off the Tesla nozzle and put on a J1772.
Hi Tony, have you done your Model S UMC conversion (by replacing the S-connector with 70Amp J-connector) yet? Is it just as easy as passing thru all 5 wires to the appropriate 5 pins in the J-connector?

My Tesla part adviser just called and said my UMC is here for me to pick up. My 70Amp J-connector won't be here until Friday.

I'm procrastinating !!! I think I might want to put a Model S receptacle on the Rav4, and use the UMC without cutting off the very nice nozzle.

Plus, I couldn't find one of those security Torx wrenches this morning to open up my J1772 nozzle, so I have to go to the hardware store. Did you get the ITT or Dostar J1772?

Just to be clear, the wires from the UMC will have to be properly crimped onto the new J1772 pins. So, it's not quite just plug and play. Do you have the proper crimper?

waidy said:
TonyWilliams said:
Darren said:

I believe TEG, over on the Tesla Motors Club board has done this sucessfully. I bet a PM would get you the info you need.

TonyWilliams said:
I'm procrastinating !!! I think I might want to put a Model S receptacle on the Rav4, and use the UMC without cutting off the very nice nozzle.

Plus, I couldn't find one of those security Torx wrenches this morning to open up my J1772 nozzle, so I have to go to the hardware store. Did you get the ITT or Dostar J1772?

Just to be clear, the wires from the UMC will have to be properly crimped onto the new J1772 pins. So, it's not quite just plug and play. Do you have the proper crimper?
I asked Part Adviser and he said he is NOT allow to sell inlet :-( Where do you get a Model S charging inlet?
and Nop I don't have any crimping tool :-(

By the way, he gave me a non-working S2J connector. He separated for me and said "I am sure you could figure it out". But... I don't think so.

S2Jadapter001b.jpg

S2Jadapter002b.jpg

S2Jadapter003b.jpg

S2Jadapter004b.jpg

waidy said:
I asked Part Adviser and he said he is NOT allow to sell inlet :-( Where do you get a Model S charging inlet?
and Nop I don't have any crimping tool :-(

By the way, he gave me a non-working S2J connector. He separated for me and said "I am sure you could figure it out". But... I don't think so.

I might have get it from a wrecked Model S !!! Or build one. There is a guy in either Tucson or Florida somewhere who built a J1772 inlet from machined parts. Maybe I'll look him up.

Well, what that adapter does show you is that it is a "pass through"... There's no electronics. We just need the exact opposite for a Model S adapter; female Model S (hard) to male J1772 (easy).

So, there's three ways to tackle this:

1 - the easy way - hack off the beautiful Model S UMC plug and crimp on J1772 pins with new J1772 handle. Simple hand tools and a crimper. Don't get cheap with the crimper (Phil and Mark will have a good one up there in the Bay Area).

2 - the elegant way - beg, borrow or steal a Model S receptacle (wrecked car, bribe to parts counter guy, charm, box of chocolates, etc)

3 - the hard way - build the Model S receptacle from scratch. That might be computer modeling and 3D printing, or machining from solid stock like ABS. Making those pins could be a real pain in the ass, except we only have to worry about 40 amps, not 200 plus amps that a Supercharger pumps through there. We can get all the dimensions from that adapter he gave you. Could you ship it to me?

4 - the electrician way - put in a junction box. That means just cut the wire and place a box to terminate the electrical connections. If I could find some kind of universal connector for all five wires,math at would be slick.

One safety consideration with plans 2 and 3 is what happens when somebody plugs the car into a Supercharger? Do we have an instant blown onboard AC charger, or will the Supercharger not get proper signals from the car and not send 386 volt DC down the AC power pins. I doubt that this is a problem, but it must be checked.

TonyWilliams said:
fooljoe said:
What's the price tag on the Tesla UMC?

You have to be careful with terms when you ask that!

Model S Mobile Connector - $550

Roadster Universal Mobile Connector - $1500

Officially, the Model S isn't a UMC, but everybody calls it that from the Roadster nomenclature.
I got the Model S UMC for $480 yesterday. The Roadster's is a "charger" because the Roadster does not have an on-board charger and that is why it is expensive.

TonyWilliams said:
So, there's three ways to tackle this:

1 - the easy way - hack off the beautiful Model S UMC plug and crimp on J1772 pins with new J1772 handle. Simple hand tools and a crimper. Don't get cheap with the crimper (Phil and Mark will have a good one up there in the Bay Area).

2 - the elegant way - beg, borrow or steal a Model S receptacle (wrecked car, bribe to parts counter guy, charm, box of chocolates, etc)

3 - the hard way - build the Model S receptacle from scratch. That might be computer modeling and 3D printing, or machining from solid stock like ABS. Making those pins could be a real pain in the ass, except we only have to worry about 40 amps, not 200 plus amps that a Supercharger pumps through there. We can get all the dimensions from that adapter he gave you. Could you ship it to me?

One safety consideration with plans 2 and 3 is what happens when somebody plugs the car into a Supercharger? Do we have an instant blown onboard AC charger, or will the Supercharger not get proper signals from the car and not send 386 volt DC down the AC power pins. I doubt that this is a problem, but it must be checked.
This is the thing: The S connector on the UMC is so beautiful that it breaks my heart to take it apart. So my plan is now: go back to the Menlo Park store and beg and neck the part adviser to give me an inlet. If this is not successful, I will have to go with Plan 1.

I wonder if the Model S which got into an accident in LA several weeks ago (owner is a doctor) is "total". May be you can steal his inlet :)

waidy said:
I got the Model S UMC for $480 yesterday. The Roadster's is a "charger" because the Roadster does not have an on-board charger and that is why it is expensive.
The roadster does have an onboard charger that is located inside of the PEM. The Roadster UMC is more expensive because the cord is much thicker copper, and is basically overbuilt compared to the Model S charging cord. It was also built in small numbers, so the R&D had to be expensed over much fewer numbers.

How did you get the Model S cord so cheap? I thought that Tesla changed the price from $500 to $650 recently?

qwk said:
waidy said:
The roadster does have an onboard charger that is located inside of the PEM. The Roadster UMC is more expensive because the cord is much thicker copper, and is basically overbuilt compared to the Model S charging cord. It was also built in small numbers, so the R&D had to be expensed over much fewer numbers.

How did you get the Model S cord so cheap? I thought that Tesla changed the price from $500 to $650 recently?
I dun-no. A smile, perphap. I was even given a bag free. The part adviser did tell me that the roadster Mobil connector has a build in charger.

Ok, I thought of a fourth possible solution:

4 - the electrician way - Put in a junction box. That means just cut the wire and place a box to terminate the electrical connections. If I could find some kind of universal connector for all five wires, that would be slick.

If you can get a Model S receptacle, please get two !!!!

$480-$550??? Damn that's cheap for a fully-adjustable 40amp capable portable EVSE, even factoring in having to get a Jplug or Model S inlet somehow. I paid twice that for a 2013 upgraded Leaf EVSE from Phil :(.

I don't see them listed for sale anywhere - do you need to know somebody with an S, or what? Sign me up!

Another idea for the conversion problem - maybe this is what you meant with the "junction box" thing - cut the cord somewhere near the EVSE box and put on male/female CS6364s. Then you could switch between a J1772 cord/plug and the Model S cord/plug. And maybe you could sell the cord+model S connector you cut off to a Model S owner building an open-evse for a good price. Or of course if the EVSE box can be opened and resealed without doing too much damage that'd be better.

As far as crimping the J-pins, if going that route, wouldn't soldering be a good solution as well, and not require a fancy crimping tool?

EDIT: Ok I think your did mean the same thing with the junction box idea. Why do you need 5 wires though - can't you skip the proximity and just connect the hot, hot, ground, pilot?

fooljoe said:
$480-$550??? Damn that's cheap for a fully-adjustable 40amp capable portable EVSE, even factoring in having to get a Jplug or Model S inlet somehow. I paid twice that for a 2013 upgraded Leaf EVSE from Phil :(.

I don't see them listed for sale anywhere - do you need to know somebody with an S, or what? Sign me up!
There is a package deal to buy at the Tesla online store http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/model-s-mobile-connector-bundle
I didn't get it from the online store, I went straight to the Menlo Park service center. In additions, mine is not a "package", just the unit for $480.

waidy said:
fooljoe said:

There is a package deal to buy at the Tesla online store http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/model-s-mobile-connector-bundle
I didn't get it from the online store, I went straight to the Menlo Park service center. In additions, mine is not a "package", just the unit for $480.
It doesn't sound like it from your post, but it came with no adapters? Not very useful without at least 1 adapter.

qwk said:
It doesn't sound like it from your post, but it came with no adapters? Not very useful without at least 1 adapter.
I have couple of the 14-50 S adapters. Additional adapter is $45, according to the Tesla online store.

waidy said:
qwk said:
I have couple of the 14-50 S adapters. Additional adapter is $45, according to the Tesla online store.

That's probably what I paid, too. No little bag, just the Model S UMC + NEMA 14-50. $550-ish.

So... wait... back track... someone create a step-by-step guide on how to purchase a Model-S 40A portable EVSE charger to make it work with our Rav4-EV. I'm very interested!

Back