Irvine Rav4 EV Mini Meet 09-14-2013

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Sobay, I'd be interested to see that video. In regards to the B mode - as I understand the only time you benefit from that is when

1. You're going down steep hills to help save your brakes.
2. When you're in stop and go traffic as it is better with regen than using the regular brake.

If this is true then you would never need to use cruise control in B mode, unless you didn't want to use the regular brake.

EVBill said:
Likewise, it was great talking with everyone. Thanks for setting this up Dark.
I'd echo the same sentiments. It was fun chatting with everyone and discussing all things EV including EVSEs, Leafs, Volts and of course the Rav4; I even saw an Active E pull up to charge after our group left. mnml did a great job installing his mirror mod.

Sounds like a good time was had by all. Bummed I missed it, but I'm gone a lot on weekends. Maybe next time!

Wish I could have made it as well.

Got my module on order and would love to see the video to get an idea of how to install it.

It was great meeting everyone this past weekend. We should get-together more often.

Big thanks to Vincent (dark) for organizing the event and for helping with the module install.
Kudo to John (sobayimage) for providing the video documentation of the install.
Shout-out to John (ehelmholtz) for staying late and providing support during the install.

Looking forward to the next session!

Tran

mnml said:
It was great meeting everyone this past weekend. We should get-together more often.

We've been meeting bi-monthly in San Diego (and even one in San Juan Capistrano in July 2013) for 3 years now.

The Next San Diego EVent will be in October-ish...

null-31.jpg

This is John at sobayimage. I’m editing the video from the meeting in Orange County last Saturday showing how to install the auto mirror module. I am having trouble seeing the last wire connection on the video. The blue wire from the module was tapped into a green wire, CLOSE MIRROR SIGNAL. It’s not clear which plug the green wire was from. One plug is above the other with both having green wires. Without knowing which of the two green wires to connect to, I can’t finish the installation instructions. The wires and plugs in question are by the bottom of the front left door.

sobayimage said:
This is John at sobayimage. I’m editing the video from the meeting in Orange County last Saturday showing how to install the auto mirror module. I am having trouble seeing the last wire connection on the video. The blue wire from the module was tapped into a green wire, CLOSE MIRROR SIGNAL. It’s not clear which plug the green wire was from. One plug is above the other with both having green wires. Without knowing which of the two green wires to connect to, I can’t finish the installation instructions. The wires and plugs in question are by the bottom of the front left door.

Sobayimage, the door lock signal wire from your car is a red wire with green dots.

The green wire you see from our installation is mnml's after market alarm wire we connected to. Hope this helps.

This is John again (sobayimage). Vincent, (dark) there are only two plugs with red wires at this point in the car. My wife and I couldn’t find any red wires with green dots only ones with blue dots. I assume my blue dots are your green dots. Which plug is to be spliced into, the smaller top one or larger bottom one? The top plug has two red wires with dots and the bottom larger plug has one red wire with dots.

sobayimage - I checked my wire again, the door close single wire on the car is RED with BLUE dots, thanks for your catch.

Vincent (dark) I still have a problem, there are two plug sockets at this point. The bottom one, the larger of the two has one red wire with dots and upper plug has two red wires with dots. Is it the top or the bottom plug that is the door close signal wire?

sobayimage said:
Vincent (dark) I still have a problem, there are two plug sockets at this point. The bottom one, the larger of the two has one red wire with dots and upper plug has two red wires with dots. Is it the top or the bottom plug that is the door close signal wire?

can you send me a photo of those wires you are looking at, so I can identify the correct one for you.
[email protected]

Vincent and friends,
It's been a month since the last meetup in Irvine. Any plans for one this month? How about this coming Saturday October 19?

My car is at the dealer for the EV check light again, so I cannot meet until I get my car back. It might be a lemon.

My car just returned from the shop and had its traction battery replaced! It looks like there isn't much traction ;-) for meeting up this weekend. Let's do it another time.

I'm in Irvine today and thought of an impromptu meetup this morning for coffee. Since the initial meetup last year, there's some new charging options in Irvine. The Quail Hill Shopping Center now has three 30A J1772 EVSE as well as a dual quick charger with ChadeMo and the SAE combo (Frankenplug) plugs. Costs are reasonable - DC charger is $5 per session without time limit. The J1772 EVSEs are $1/hour in 1 minute increments. There's no membership card to worry about - just use a major credit card. The station is behind a nice Starbucks. Plugshare here.

This is very impromptu but let's meet up for coffee and talk EV from 9:30-10:30 this morning. I'll be here for much of the morning.

Back