New L3 DC Fast Charger CCS only in King City-No CHADEMO

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swogee

It looks like the owners of BEV's with CCS (Combo) are in luck as there is a new L3 DC fast charging station in King City that bridges the gap between SLO and the SF Bay Area. The charger is located at the Keefer's Restaurant just off of 101. It's a 24 KW unit run by Chargepoint that is free to restaurant patrons. It's too bad they didn't include a CHADEMO unit so it's not much help for us RAV4 EV owners.

There is a similar 24kW unit at the Kon Tiki Inn in Pismo Beach. A more useful 50kW dual standard unit was reportedly installed at the Santa Ynez Valley Marriott in Buellton. This is the same Marriott that hosts the Tesla Supercharger.

The Kon Tiki Inn Plugshare entry has a picture of the Chargepoint 100 SAE Combo charger, but there is no picture yet of the Marriott installation.

Is there any way to complain to ChargePoint or Keefers about this? They should be told that there are many more CHAdeMO capable BEV's out there than CCS cars.

The real solution for the long range EV driver will be a CCS/CHAdeMO adapter, similar to Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter. I'm sure Tony's thought about this already (and may offer insight into limitations of this) but I think such a device will find customers far and wide so long as CCS-only and CHAdeMO-only cars are being produced. Now that we're seeing more build out of CCS, especially in Europe the idea of an adapter is becoming more appealing for more people.

Michael Bornstein said:
Is there any way to complain to ChargePoint or Keefers about this? They should be told that there are many more CHAdeMO capable BEV's out there than CCS cars.
I would not complain to them. I would nicely inquire why they chose that unit. You never know, it may have been subsidized by the BMW/VW program that was announced early this year. The two hotels mentioned above match the kind of site that ChargePoint and the manufacturers said would get the 24kW stations. The fact that they are the first fast chargers on the Central Coast 101 corridor is not really the point.

According to a previous thread (which you quoted), the BMW/VW chargers would do both CCS and CHAdeMO.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1508&hilit=bmw%2Fvw&start=0

Michael Bornstein said:
According to a previous thread (which you quoted), the BMW/VW chargers would do both CCS and CHAdeMO.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1508&hilit=bmw%2Fvw&start=0
The BMW/VW plan had planned for corridor highway chargers to be 50kW and dual standard. Both of the units discussed in this thread are installed at hotels, so they may be considered the "destination" chargers, which were planned to be SAE Combo only. I think they were just able to get these units installed sooner due to site and electrical supply considerations. Hopefully they will cover the 101 corridor with the more capable dual standard chargers at other sites in the future.

Sadly, there are two more of these 24kW SAE Combo only chargers at Carl's Jr restaurants in Redding, CA and Yreka, CA. If these have anything to do with the VW/BMW initiative they should clearly be the 50kW dual standard units.

David Herron has received confirmation from ChargePoint that these units on the Central Coast section of US-101 and the northern part of I-5 are part of their build-out of the West Coast Highway. Hopefully they will fill in more stations with the 50kW dual-standard chargers.

http://longtailpipe.com/2015/11/02/chargepoint-starting-to-fulfill-promised-west-coast-fast-charging-network/

I wonder if Tony or anyone else has looked into a CCS to Chademo adapter. I dont have either station near me but now that I have JaDEmo I would definitely want to add that adapter to my pile

jimbo69ny said:
I wonder if Tony or anyone else has looked into a CCS to Chademo adapter. I dont have either station near me but now that I have JaDEmo I would definitely want to add that adapter to my pile

No plans for that. Possibly CHAdeMO station to CCS equipped car (CHAdeMO grossly outnumbers CCS stations).

Back