NEW Planned L3 Charger in SLO Coast Nissan

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swogee

I was speaking to a Nissan LEAF owner this past weekend and apparently Coast Nissan in San Luis Obispo has plans to install a L3 charger at their dealership. It is not far off of 101 and it is close by many large stores/place to eat. I confirmed with the Coast Nissan general manager that the L3 charger will be installed in the near future and he mentioned that it will be available 24/7 to Coast Nissan customers. I am not sure if they will allow non-Nissan EV's to charge at the station though, but I did ask him about that in my reply. Here's the first e-mail response I got.

We do have plans to install the fast charger. Yes it will be available 24/7 and be free of charge to our customers. The timetable will depend on how much work will need to be done. My assessment will be done in March the actual installation is as of yet unknown.

Thanks,

Eric Ideman
General Manager
Coast Nissan

There may be a better option in SLO: Sunspeed Enterprises claims that their DCFC + L2 node at the Madona Inn will be operational this summer:

http://sunspeedenterprises.com/the-pacific-coast-suntrail-route/madonna-inn-hub-san-luis-obispo/

I spoke with the President of the company on Saturday at the EAA meeting and he confirmed summer operation.
With the DCFC near Santa Ynez, this leaves only a 200 mi segment w/o DCFC between San Jose and SLO.

I have drafted a document on the current and planned DCFC status in CA and am working with the CEC and some other EV folks to update it. PM me if you would like a draft copy.

tgreene said:
There may be a better option in SLO: Sunspeed Enterprises claims that their DCFC + L2 node at the Madona Inn will be operational this summer:

http://sunspeedenterprises.com/the-pacific-coast-suntrail-route/madonna-inn-hub-san-luis-obispo/

I spoke with the President of the company on Saturday at the EAA meeting and he confirmed summer operation.
With the DCFC near Santa Ynez, this leaves only a 200 mi segment w/o DCFC between San Jose and SLO.

I have drafted a document on the current and planned DCFC status in CA and am working with the CEC and some other EV folks to update it. PM me if you would like a draft copy.

It's 144 miles from San Luis Obispo to the CHAdeMO at CHOMP hospital, Monterey. Yes, it can be done at a steady 50-55mph.

I'd like to see your draft document.

TonyWilliams (((@))) QuickChargePower.com

Personally, just thinking about the RAV4 and JdeMO, I think there should be a charger in Soledad. Otherwise, you have to put them at Leaf-compatible distances. If that's the case, then you have to worry about bridging the abyss between Paso Robles and King City. Then, the stops are San Jose, Salinas, King City, Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo. Those segments are all nominally 50 miles except Paso Robles-SLO which is only 35.

miimura said:
Personally, just thinking about the RAV4 and JdeMO, I think there should be a charger in Soledad.

Yup - Soledad is the natural spot for the next one. After that, you can put one halfway between Soledad and SLO and another one between Soledad and SJ (Prunedale?).

tgreene said:
miimura said:
Personally, just thinking about the RAV4 and JdeMO, I think there should be a charger in Soledad.

Yup - Soledad is the natural spot for the next one. After that, you can put one halfway between Soledad and SLO and another one between Soledad and SJ (Prunedale?).
The point I was trying to make is that there is NOTHING half-way between Soledad and SLO. San Ardo is the closest to the middle, but nobody goes there because the town is off the highway and there's not much there. At least King City and Soledad have traditional highway support infrastructure like motels, restaurants and gas stations.

do Nissan dealer DCFC facilities allow Rav4EV's to charge there?
(there's a Nissan dealer in Stockton for instance, which is right near where i usually have to charge (at the Walgreens on West Lane) on my way to the mountains). Assuming i get a DCFC compatible charger this weekend it'd be peachy to charge there.

And a number of the spots going down 99 are Nissan dealers too.

swogee said:
I was speaking to a Nissan LEAF owner this past weekend and apparently Coast Nissan in San Luis Obispo has plans to install a L3 charger at their dealership. It is not far off of 101 and it is close by many large stores/place to eat. I confirmed with the Coast Nissan general manager that the L3 charger will be installed in the near future and he mentioned that it will be available 24/7 to Coast Nissan customers. I am not sure if they will allow non-Nissan EV's to charge at the station though, but I did ask him about that in my reply. Here's the first e-mail response I got.

We do have plans to install the fast charger. Yes it will be available 24/7 and be free of charge to our customers. The timetable will depend on how much work will need to be done. My assessment will be done in March the actual installation is as of yet unknown.

Thanks,

Eric Ideman
General Manager
Coast Nissan

Hello Swogee, Do you think Mr. Ideman from Nissan would be interested to sign and promote the petition started by tgreene(to his customer as well as other Nissan dealers in California) to have CEC allocate budget toinstall more DCFC in California? it'll help him and Nissan sell Chademo equipped Leaf... right? It would be much appreciated if you have opportunity to ask him. Thanks a lot :)

Please find the link to the petition.
https://www.change.org/p/california-ene ... -this-year

Back