Portable OpenEVSE at 40A

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered everything on the 12th and so far have received the shipments from Amazon and Digikey. The AliExpress relay is stateside now and will likely show up tomorrow. Then I'll just be waiting on the J1772 cable from QCPower and the shipment from OpenEVSE (controller, LCD, button, and grounding bar). OpenEVSE's store still says that the OpenEVSE controller is out of stock and will be available week of June 9th (aka last week) - has anyone heard anything about that lately?

I'm hoping everything arrives this week so I can assemble over the weekend. Right now we're aiming to leave for Utah mid-next-week. My backup plan is to borrow my dad's Clipper Creek CS-60 that he hasn't installed yet, slap the NEMA 14-50 on it and use it for this trip.

Another question about the OpenEVSE build: after some looking around it seems like the stock firmware has current limit set to 32A - does this mean I'd need to write a new config file to it to get it to 40A?

Also (and this is where I beg!) - I was wondering if anyone in greater SoCal would be willing to help me test it with an EV simulator once I've got it all built? I'd do the testing myself but being relatively inexperienced I'd be super thankful if someone who knows more would take a quick look at it before I put it into service. I'd happily drive to you wherever and whenever and will bring you cookies!!! :D :D :D

When you flash the board it comes set to 16A. The stock current table has 5A steps from 10A to 80A. No 32A. I usually edit the table for 2A steps and a limit of 50A. If you have a programmer you can set it to what you like.

Quick Charge Power has been prompt on my orders. They charge a lot for shipping though.

I live near Disneyland and I have L6-30 and 14-50 outlets available. I would be happy to help you out.

DevinL said:
I ordered everything on the 12th and so far have received the shipments from Amazon and Digikey. The AliExpress relay is stateside now and will likely show up tomorrow. Then I'll just be waiting on the J1772 cable from QCPower and the shipment from OpenEVSE (controller, LCD, button, and grounding bar). OpenEVSE's store still says that the OpenEVSE controller is out of stock and will be available week of June 9th (aka last week) - has anyone heard anything about that lately?

I'm hoping everything arrives this week so I can assemble over the weekend. Right now we're aiming to leave for Utah mid-next-week. My backup plan is to borrow my dad's Clipper Creek CS-60 that he hasn't installed yet, slap the NEMA 14-50 on it and use it for this trip.

Another question about the OpenEVSE build: after some looking around it seems like the stock firmware has current limit set to 32A - does this mean I'd need to write a new config file to it to get it to 40A?

Also (and this is where I beg!) - I was wondering if anyone in greater SoCal would be willing to help me test it with an EV simulator once I've got it all built? I'd do the testing myself but being relatively inexperienced I'd be super thankful if someone who knows more would take a quick look at it before I put it into service. I'd happily drive to you wherever and whenever and will bring you cookies!!! :D :D :D

Chris just got back from vacation and it is taking a while for stuff. I usually order bare boards and he has them in stock. I received 2 last week. It is strictly a one person part time effort.

GlennD said:
When you flash the board it comes set to 16A. The stock current table has 5A steps from 10A to 80A. No 32A. I usually edit the table for 2A steps and a limit of 50A. If you have a programmer you can set it to what you like.

Quick Charge Power has been prompt on my orders. They charge a lot for shipping though.

I live near Disneyland and I have L6-30 and 14-50 outlets available. I would be happy to help you out.
Awesome!! Thank you so much! I'll let you know when everything arrives and we can set up a time that works for you. Also good to know re Chris. If I recall he lives up in Lancaster so shouldn't be too much time to ship at least.

DevinL said:

I'd like to shoe-horn a plug in here for my EV Sim Mark II. It's a little 2x16 char LCD display with a "backpack" on it. It has 4 DIP switches, a 2.1mm barrel connector for power, and two screw terminals for the J1772 pilot and ground.

You hook it up and give it 7-12 VDC and it will show on the display the frequency (or + or - if it's not oscillating) and duty cycle of the pilot, plus the J1772 decoding of the ampacity that represents.

You can use 3 of the DIP switches to choose the various J1772 signaling states, and the 4th can simulate a "missing" pilot diode.

http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/EVSimMark2
http://store.geppettoelectronics.com/

nsayer said:
DevinL said:

I'd like to shoe-horn a plug in here for my EV Sim Mark II. It's a little 2x16 char LCD display with a "backpack" on it. It has 4 DIP switches, a 2.1mm barrel connector for power, and two screw terminals for the J1772 pilot and ground.

You hook it up and give it 7-12 VDC and it will show on the display the frequency (or + or - if it's not oscillating) and duty cycle of the pilot, plus the J1772 decoding of the ampacity that represents.

You can use 3 of the DIP switches to choose the various J1772 signaling states, and the 4th can simulate a "missing" pilot diode.

http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/EVSimMark2
http://store.geppettoelectronics.com/

I have built 4 units. They work great and they are just about required for setting a basic JuiceBox. That said, I find myself using my basic unpowered simulator since it is small and convenient.

ehelmholtz said:
Devin,
Have you put your portable OpenEVSE together yet? Post some photos if you have.
I have! I'm planning to make it look a little prettier when we get back from Utah. I originally built it with a contactor + relay that Chris gave me since the Chinese relay decided to take the scenic route and go from San Francisco to Kentucky and then back to Los Angeles. It did shop up in the mail on Saturday afternoon so I wound up swapping it in so I could enjoy 120V/20A capability. I visited Glenn yesterday and he helped me test it and load a firmware profile with the appropriate current settings.

Packed in the lower-trunk with many adapters, ready for the journey to Utah. (Going to make a thread about that later).

wow! nicely done! it uses the same enclosure as my second iteration but bringing the LCD and button up through the top of box (like my first one) so that options can be changed without opening the box. I like it a lot! again, well done!

Nice looking build Devin...

It was a pleasure meeting you last week, sorry I talked your ear off and kept you so late...

DevinL said:
ehelmholtz said:
Devin,
Have you put your portable OpenEVSE together yet? Post some photos if you have.
I have! I'm planning to make it look a little prettier when we get back from Utah. I originally built it with a contactor + relay that Chris gave me since the Chinese relay decided to take the scenic route and go from San Francisco to Kentucky and then back to Los Angeles. It did shop up in the mail on Saturday afternoon so I wound up swapping it in so I could enjoy 120V/20A capability. I visited Glenn yesterday and he helped me test it and load a firmware profile with the appropriate current settings.

Packed in the lower-trunk with many adapters, ready for the journey to Utah. (Going to make a thread about that later).

I just ordered 2 of those Chinese contactors from Aliexpress.

Are you positive they wont fit into one of Chris' OpenEVSE cases?

jimbo69ny said:

If you do not use Chris's thick mounting plate It might fit but it will be close. It will comprise the weatherproofing to mount directly to the case.

So far I have received 4 of the relays so it seems to be the real deal. The price is right.

GlennD said:
jimbo69ny said:

If you do not use Chris's thick mounting plate It might fit but it will be close. It will comprise the weatherproofing to mount directly to the case.

So far I have received 4 of the relays so it seems to be the real deal. The price is right.
Is the issue the depth? It seems like the length and width leave enough room.

Do you like these relays? Chris says they run hot but I like the idea that I can build a 110 and 220 EVSE in one.

Can anyone give me the dimensions of the Chinese 80 amp relay? Their website isnt clear as to what the dimensions are. Id really like to use one of Chris' boxes for my portable 40 amp evse. He did such an awesome job with them!

jimbo69ny said:
Can anyone give me the dimensions of the Chinese 80 amp relay? Their website isnt clear as to what the dimensions are. Id really like to use one of Chris' boxes for my portable 40 amp evse. He did such an awesome job with them!
I just measured mine and it's a hair under 3"x4" and 2.25" tall (obviously without the dust cover).

DevinL said:
jimbo69ny said:
I just measured mine and it's a hair under 3"x4" and 2.25" tall (obviously without the dust cover).

I just took my laptop and tape measure out to my garage. Based on these dimensions, the 80 amp chinese relay that Devin posted here http://www.aliexpress.com/item/JQX-62F-2Z-80A-DPDT-DC-12V-Coil-Electromagnetic-Power-Relay/468483981.html, WILL fit but only if you do not use the fuse block and cut out a portion of the mounting plastic included with the kit. You would have to mount the relay to the wall of the case which shouldnt be a problem as long as you use nuts, bolts and silicone.

I think fuses are really only there to protect your wires so make sure to use 6 awg or larger wires when building your evse for 40+ amps.

I again want to give Chris a round of applause for doing so much work. He has been very helpful to me personally and of course the ev community as a whole. I have now built 5 evse's and I am working on a 6th now. I like to think I am good at this kind of thing but I have had a few issues stump me and he has always been there to help me. Thank you Chris!

Wow, a lot of good info here. Thanks to all for contributing. I now feel I can make a list and build my portable 120/240V 40A EVSE succesfully and for a fraction of the cost of purchased equipment.

There is a lot of discussion about relays. Does anyone have experience using Solid State Relays, and if so what are the problems or concerns? I know they are more expensive but I anticipate a mcuh longer life, lower voltage losses over time and low required input signal current. I'm not sure about temp rise and if I will need to mount on a heat sink. Also, I happen to have a few Omega SSRL240DC50's laying around so unless I hear otherwise, I'll let you know how they work.

Solid State relay equivalents have 2 problems. The safety one is that they fail shorted. The other is at EVSE currents they require a large heat sink.

jimbo69ny said:
DevinL said:
jimbo69ny said:

I just took my laptop and tape measure out to my garage. Based on these dimensions, the 80 amp chinese relay that Devin posted here http://www.aliexpress.com/item/JQX-62F-2Z-80A-DPDT-DC-12V-Coil-Electromagnetic-Power-Relay/468483981.html, WILL fit but only if you do not use the fuse block and cut out a portion of the mounting plastic included with the kit. You would have to mount the relay to the wall of the case which shouldnt be a problem as long as you use nuts, bolts and silicone.
here's a better spec for the same relay courtesy of open source documentation on the EMW (JuiceBox) website. Same part number with the name, "NAIDIAN" on it. I don't think it fits in a JB Basic enclosure with the plastic "dust" cover on the relay, which is probably why it is omitted. I believe relay switching is done under little to no load conditions, so there is no danger of contact arching.

http://emotorwerks.com/JuiceBox_Public/99 - Supporting materials/JQX-62F Power Relay.pdf

Back