Rav EV arrives at midnight, just in time for a road trip

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo69ny

My new Rav4 EV is on its way here. It should arrive around midnight tonight. I am going to top it off and head to the National Drive Electric EV meet in Albany NY. The car has about 25 miles on it and I havent even driven one yet but I am taking it on a road trip as soon as I top it off. Any pointers?

I am heading to the "Clarion Hotel at the Century House" which is 169 miles away. There are a couple j1772 stations on my route according to plugshare. I am going to stop at each of them to check and see if they are operational and report it. Id hate to skip the first one only to find out that the second and third arent operational, that would be bad.

Im going to take it easy. Its a 3 hour drive and it will be 3-6ish am so Im expecting traffic to be minimal. I could probably set the cruise at 60 and make it pretty far on a charge.

It should be fun!

The slower you go the faster you will get there! Try to cruise at 50 or 55. Or just follow a slow semi-trailer.

I don't know the differences between the PIP and EV. The EV has the nifty auto door unlock by just grabbing the handle.
Set your destination and radio/satellite settings before you leave! Download the XM channel guide as a reference.
There is no spare, the fix-a-flat is in one of the rear compartments.

Remember your EZ-Pass.

I lived in Albany for many years, but have escaped the cold to sunny CA. :D

kiwiguy said:
The slower you go the faster you will get there! Try to cruise at 50 or 55. Or just follow a slow semi-trailer.

I don't know the differences between the PIP and EV. The EV has the nifty auto door unlock by just grabbing the handle.
Set your destination and radio/satellite settings before you leave! Download the XM channel guide as a reference.
There is no spare, the fix-a-flat is in one of the rear compartments.

Remember your EZ-Pass.

I lived in Albany for many years, but have escaped the cold to sunny CA. :D

Omg thank you for reminding me about the easy pass!!

The dealer I bought it from gave me an extra cargo mat and floor mats. There are two sets in the car. But they left out the evse!

I'm doing an extended charge right now. I have an hour to kill.

I like to drive in B mode for best regeneration down hill, but when you do this the ECO light doesn't illuminate.

Also, don't pulse-and-glide like the Prius, keep it constant.

kiwiguy said:
I like to drive in B mode for best regeneration down hill, but when you do this the ECO light doesn't illuminate.

Oh don't pulse and glide, good to know. That makes sense I just hadn't thought of it yet.

Yes I checked the lower rear compartment. That's where I found a whole other set of floor mats. I now have 2 complete sets of floor mats I won't be using. I already have Husky liners and a covercraft rear cargo liner.

You need to save one set of mats for the lease return. Also, GET THAT EVSE !!! No doubt, if you try to lease return without, it will cost you about $1000.

I take the stock EVSE out, still in the bubble wrap, and stored them just for the return. A 120 volt only EVSE has near zero value to me in the car.

Get a spare tire for long hauls and put it in a Hefty heavy duty trash bag. The bolt pattern is 4.5" (114.3mm) * 5 lugs. My spare happens to be off a Nissan Altima, 2002 or newer, $15. You will need to modify a junk yard "sciccors jack" (Walmart has them new) so that it doesn't hit the battery. Don't forget the Walmart 4 way lug wrench.

Take the slime / goop Fix-a-Flat out of the car and store it with the EVSE.

Get your road flares, tow strap, jumper cables, winter gloves, and whatever else you keep in a car normally.

IF YOU DON'T WANT THE DROP DOWN MENUS TO BLOCK YOUR REVERSE CAMERA VIEW:

Page 161 of the 2012 owner's manual:

1. Press the “Home” button
2. Touch the "Settings" gear icon on the “Main Menu” screen
3. Touch “Phone” on the “Setup” screen
4. Touch “Phone Display Settings”
5. Select "off" for "Display Phone Book Transfer Status"
6. Select "off" for "Display Call History Transfer Status"
7. Touch "Save"

Page 173 of the 2012 owner's manual:

1. Press the “Home” button
2. Touch the "Settings" gear icon on the “Main Menu” screen
3. Touch “Bluetooth” on the “Setup” screen
4. Touch “Detailed Bluetooth Settings”
5. Touch the down arrow once
6. Select "off" for "Display Phone Status"
7. Select "off" for "Display Portable Player Status"
8. Touch "Save"

IF YOUR CAR IS DELIVERED WITHOUT FUNCTIONING INTERIOR LIGHTS:

A pin is located in the engine bay passenger side fuse box to activate the lights. Inside that fuse box, there is a white "fuse" without any number and that is the "pin". Under the fuse cover, there is a location labeled "short". Put the "pin" into the "short" slot and interior function like light, garage door opener, external door handle switch will be activated.

IF YOUR CAR IS DELIVERED WITH A REGISTRATION FOR AN OIL BURNING CAR INSTEAD OF AN ELECTRIC CAR:

Make sure your dealership ticked the correct box for "motive power" on the registration. If they incorrectly entered "gas", you'll need to get it corrected. In California, the DMV requests that the dealership complete Sections G & H of form "Reg 256". For section G, the sample response given was:

"Due to a clerical error on the Report of Sale, the motive power was entered as "gas (G)", when the actual motive power for this vehicle is "100% electric (E)". Please correct. No fraud intended."

The dealer then signs and dates Section H.

IF YOUR CAR'S UNLIMITED LEASE IS REJECTED BY TOYOTA FINANCIAL

EXPECT THE DEALER'S FINANCE DEPARTMENT TO HAVE PROBLEMS INPUTTING THE UNLIMITED MILEAGE LEASE IN THEIR COMPUTER. MAKE SURE YOUR LEASE DOCUMENTS ARE PROPERLY REFLECT AN UNLIMITED LEASE FOR WHEN TOYOTA FINANCIAL REJECTS IT MANY WEEKS LATER. It should show "N/A" twice for miles and rate per mile in section 10 of the lease contract, "Excessive Wear and Use".

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8745#p8745

IF YOU WANT YOUR CAR DELIVERED WITH SPECIFIC SETTINGS:

You will likely want your dealer to set the reverse beeper to a single beep. I highly recommend writing this in the sales contract, particularly for an out of state sale. You will not like this distracting beeping in reverse. Also, I recommend setting the auto door locks to whatever setting you want prior to delivery (always unlocked, lock when in Drive, only unlock driver's door, etc).

If you don't want the navigation screen to automatically pop back to the map mode, press the "Home" button below the screen (like on an iPad / iPhone), then press the lower right hand corner symbol for page 2, then press the upper left hand symbol, then scroll down until you see Auto Screen Change.

Please get the appropriate public charging network cards from:

Blink
NRG / eVgo
SemaConnect
ChargePoint
AeroVironment
etc

jimbo69ny said:
kiwiguy said:

Oh don't pulse and glide, good to know. That makes sense I just hadn't thought of it yet.

Yes I checked the lower rear compartment. That's where I found a whole other set of floor mats. I now have 2 complete sets of floor mats I won't be using. I already have Husky liners and a covercraft rear cargo liner.
Did you check both lower rear compartments? The big aft one is where you found your mats, but there is a smaller fore compartment with a pull tab close to the back of the rear seats. I store my 120V EVSE and medkit in that compartment.

Wow thank you for all that info Tony! I really appreciate it!

Devin, yeah I checked all of the cubbies. It's definitely not here.

jimbo69ny said:

One last place to check is under the back seats - there's a ton of room under there (I store my heatshields there) and it could have slid in there. It's wishful thinking, you probably checked there, and it's probably sitting on a counter somewhere at the dealership, but I am persistent!

Oh, and where are pictures?!

DevinL said:
jimbo69ny said:

One last place to check is under the back seats - there's a ton of room under there (I store my heatshields there) and it could have slid in there. It's wishful thinking, you probably checked there, and it's probably sitting on a counter somewhere at the dealership, but I am persistent!

Oh, and where are pictures?!

The dealer found it. It's locked up at their dealership. Yes mailing it to me tomorrow.

Here is a link to photos of the National Drive Electric meets I went to yesterday and today.
http://s59.photobucket.com/user/jimbo69ny/library/National%20Drive%20Electric%20Week%20Syracuse%20and%20Albany

Here are photos of my car.
http://s59.photobucket.com/user/jimbo69ny/library/2014%20Toyota%20Rav4%20EV

I am kinda stuck here for a long time. I didn't realize a full extended range charge was going to take 9+ hours on a charge point 5-6kwh station. Sucks. I'm probably not going to get home till midnight.

+1 I would not go extended unless it was doable in one swoop.
As long as you must charge I would just stick with normal.

I have 65 miles of range now according to the gom.
It's 47 miles to Suny Cobleskill.
I then need 124 miles to get home.

All highway with 65 mph speed limit
Whether I continue charging here or at Suny either way I'm waiting

Very happy to see you got your the RAV4 EV! Looks awesome! Are you getting custom plates (a trend my wife actually mentioned during the syracuse show yesterday)?

I'd still trade my LEAF in for this vehicle, in a heartbeat, if I could make it work financially. Coincidentally, I JUST got an e-mail from the cars.com website, mentioning another used RAV4 EV has been put up for sale (I set up a search alert, just in case).

kiwiguy said:
How was your trip to Albany? Did you get good miles/kW?

Is the car all you hoped?

How so I figure out my miles per kwh?
Other than the charge time taking longer than I anticipated its going really well. Waiting sucks!

The Entune app will tell you under ECO Dashboard.
Also when you stop the car on the main dashboard, and somewhere under the Nav system.

While waiting read your manuals, and work out all the weird XM stations.

I barely made it to Suny. I had 65 miles on the gom and the "battery very low" warning came on. Google said the stop was 47 miles away when I left I think. Gom said I had 12 miles left but warning lights were coming on. I made it though.

I don't see how this could be true but does the car charge quicker if I don't select extended range mode. Ie if I charged for 2 hours in regular mode and 2 in ext range mode, wouldn't I still have the same charge regardless?

Google says home is 124 miles away, so I need that and a buffer. My car currently says the remaining charge time is 9 hours 43 minutes. Shitty..... :/

Back