Rav4 EV - collision with Cadillac DTS

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:cry:

As I posted over on the FB page.....

On 9/28 I was cruising along when I was suddenly hit on the front left side. A Cadillac DTS came across the median at about a 90 degree angle from my direction. Didn't see him coming, no time to hit the brakes. When we collided, his car spun parallel with mine and hit my rear door.

The Rav held up very well. The seatbelt knocked the wind out of me, but it kept me restrained as designed.

The other driver has Allstate and the insurance adjuster happens to be a Tesla/ev enthusiast who is planning to purchase a Model S. He said this vehicle is not in their database, so he couldn't complete an estimate. The collision center would have to do it.

I contacted the Scottsdale Tesla service center/collision facility (150 miles from here). They sent down a flatbed and it has been up there since. (This collision center is Tesla and Toyota certified and the staff was excited to see a Rav4 EV in person...and I was thrilled that they knew what is was)

Unfortunately, the majority of the impact force was not on the body. The wheel, strut, subframe, and the core support were deformed. The drive unit made some popping/binding noises. I was updated today that both headlights were actually busted due to the core support shifting.

I also learned today that the Tesla service center techs inspected the DU, and advised that the whole vehicle needs to be shipped "back to the factory" for the DU. And, when the collision center tried to order the Rav4 EV specific headlights and other parts, Toyota forcefully told them that this vehicle was not supposed to be shipped outside of California in the first place. The collision center was told that the repairs have to be done by shipping it to California. From what I understand, the parts were not even shipped.

Now, Allstate is "re-evaluating" tomorrow. I know the headlights are quite expensive and it may need a new drive unit too. I just want my EV back.

And the way Toyota is treating the situation, makes it sound like I illegally smuggled the vehicle. :shock:

I'd suggest getting Kevin Spillane in the mix. He's helping us in WA to have our recall work done here, and has helped others across the country who dared to get a RAV4 EV from California.

I think he can help advocate your side of the story, as long as he knows what you want.

Kevin J. Spillane
Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.
Case Manager-Special project/SSC
PH:310-974-7545
FX:310-381-6858

Thanks Larry! I actually passed along Kevin's contact info to the collision center too!

It's hard, because I'm being told small bits of info. I suppose I'll have to get used to this rental Corolla.....really, really used to it.

As others have said, be prepared for the insurance company to total it especially if the drive unit is damaged. I rear ended a large pickup truck in stop and go traffic and the repair costs were about $7k. I damaged one headlight assembly and replacement cost was ~$1k for that alone. I also damaged all three heat exchangers (radiators and AC condenser) which were also about $1k each. The truck was undamaged.

Still waiting on the Toyota and Tesla engineers to formally advise on the drivetrain situation. Kevin has been engaged in helping me, but it's still slow going. I just don't know what could make this take so long!! It's not like they are going to open up the motor and repair it anyway. But I'm sure the insurance won't want to pay for replacement.

The other driver's insurance has been ridiculous, cancelling my rental car without telling me. They don't want to pay for a rental while waiting for Toyota to get their act together. Which is crazy, since I don't have any control over that.

I really miss my Rav! And I don't even want to think about how long it will be if they have to order and ship a motor. :|

Back