Should Tesla HPWC Charging Stations be only for Teslas?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weekdayskier said:
Just to clarify?

Tesla HPWC puts out 80 amps at 208 or 240 volts AC. The Rav4EV can handle 10kw, so with the adapter, it might use 50 amps of that power and charge about 40% faster than the standard 30 amp public J1772 chargers? ...
The RAV4EV can use at most 40a or 10kW whichever come first. So, approx 33% faster.

Any update on your adapter Tony? With the recent news about Tesla giving away HPWCs to AirBnB hosts, the demand for a HPWC-to-J1772 adapter is growing...

fooljoe said:
Any update on your adapter Tony? With the recent news about Tesla giving away HPWCs to AirBnB hosts, the demand for a HPWC-to-J1772 adapter is growing...

Well, to be honest, we're mostly done with design.

We need some capital to make the required mold, and some quality time, that I'm short of at the moment.

Any updates on the estimated release date of this adapter?

I was in a dance performance a couple weeks ago at a remotely located winery east of Paso Robles and there happened to be two unused Tesla HPWC units there. It would have have been nice to be able to use one to charge my RAV4 EV. Not a single person there drove up in a Tesla (or an EV) except me.

swogee said:
Any updates on the estimated release date of this adapter?

I was in a dance performance a couple weeks ago at a remotely located winery east of Paso Robles and there happened to be two unused Tesla HPWC units there. It would have have been nice to be able to use one to charge my RAV4 EV. Not a single person there drove up in a Tesla (or an EV) except me.

I actually have time set aside tomorrow to work on this.

Still winter 2015.

swogee said:
Any new updates on the adapter? It will be spring (2016) in a day or so.
+1 With Tesla's destination charging program (free HPWCs to hotels and vacation rentals, partnering with AirBnB, etc.) there's been quite the proliferation of HPWCs. And with more non-Tesla 100+ mile EVs on the horizon the demand for this is only going to grow.

Somebody has already done this adapter last year. Here's a link to the YouTube video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V8EfD_kJdZU

I'd rather wait for Tony's adapter. I was actually entertaining the idea of getting a JdeMO but it's a bit pricey for me at the moment (pricing is actually fair, I just don't have the money). This adapter would be a great accessory to increase my charging options. If I can get 40 amps out of a HPWC instead of the measly 30-32 amps available at most stations that would cut my charging time significantly. Still not Chademo speeds but faster nonetheless and if you've ever been gouged by Blink paying .49/kWh the fact that HPWC are free is a big plus!!!! Tony, put me down for one!

Any news on the adapters?

Took my 1st longer trip last week down to Galveston from NW Houston. Tried charging at 3 different locations in Galveston before I found one working to get a charge to make it home. At Moody Gardens the Clipper Creek would not work on the RavEV. There were 2 Tesla chargers unoccupied - would have been nice to be able to use one of them.

-

Back