SoCal EV Meet Up Saturday, June 27, 8am - 11am, Santa Ana

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy S. will be getting his new "multicoat" red Model S in a few weeks, and is drooling over this one!!! This car was delivered just an hour ago at the delivery center in Miramar, just 10 miles away. Definitely gets the low mileage award:

Thanks for coordinating this Tony. The world neeeds more people like you. And thanks again for the sun power and unflouridated water. GOM said 139 miles on departure, at 65mph 95% of the way (112 miles) I showed 32 miles left when i arrived home. Great photos of great people (and EVs).

Khaihon said:
Thanks for coordinating this Tony. The world neeeds more people like you. And thanks again for the sun power and unflouridated water. GOM said 139 miles on departure, at 65mph 95% of the way (112 miles) I showed 32 miles left when i arrived home. Great photos of great people (and EVs).

You're welcome. Sorry you had to listen to us "old salts" complaining about industry stuff. That GOM did a pretty good job!!!

TonyWilliams said:
A9FA07DA-33A9-4F04-A504-A5A1E69D0072-7350-00000383D82DD3C2.jpg

So, is the Clipper Creek unit here being used as a mobile charger perhaps fitted with a NEMA 6-50p or 14-50 plug? I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

khaliss said:
So, is the Clipper Creek unit here being used as a mobile charger perhaps fitted with a NEMA 6-50p or 14-50 plug? I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

Mine has a 6-50, but that is because when the Blink was installed, that's the receptacle they put it. I intend to change that to 14-50, and putting a 14-50 plug on the CS-40.

If you plan to take one "mobile", I heartily recommend 14-50.

CHANGE OF VENUE AND TIME !!!!!!

Still June 8, 2013, but now at 10am - 1pm

I'm planning to move the event to 577 South Vulcan Avenue, Encinitas, CA for a whole bunch of reasons.

1. For all the folks coming from "up north" (OC, LA and Ventura), it's only 60 miles south of Irvine (versus 80 miles at the old site

2. Everybody in San Diego can easily get here

3. There are two Blink charging stations on site in addition to 25 parking spots. Lots of overflow parking in every direction

4. Solace restaurant has a semi-private room for about 30

5. It will be far cooler than Poway in the summer

6. Most people like the beach

7. You can take the train!!! (yes, really, the station is right there)

8. I am unabashedly promoting the future site of the EVoasis charging plaza at 577 South Vulcan Ave, Encinitas, CA

9. For the extremely thrifty minded, unfortunately it will cost more to eat. Solace and the Moonlight Lounge, 25 East E Street, Encinitas, CA 92024
Phone:(760) 753-2433

10. We can start slightly later so that folks who are driving a long distance and need charging don't have to leave when it's still dark

11. Yes, we still have trains, just like in Poway (except these are "big boy" trains)

SanDiegoEVentMeet.jpg

B3E6D424-9BDB-4841-A2CD-CB69300D423F-677-00000045A365AD2E.jpg

FF722507-90E1-49DD-A93D-53D534A21452-677-0000004593D54082.jpg

E6CE31E0-6AD8-43AA-A56A-59681C0C5B94-677-000000459C9756F2.jpg

C75E9430-D82B-4EF5-A3DA-3888C86391DC-677-00000045ABC3A286.jpg

E62858DE-145D-4C76-B93A-683CE6132F7A-677-00000045BD709BB4.jpg

Expect to spend $20:

Solace Restaurant
Encinitas, CA

Starter served FAMILY STYLE:

Buttermilk Cinnamon Rolls w/
Cream Cheese Frosting

Please CHOOSE ONE:

Cheesy Scrambled Eggs w/
Brown Sugar Slab Bacon, Two Eggs, Grits

Biscuits and Gravy w/
Niman Ranch Pork Gouda Sausage and Fresh Fruit

Natural Hanger Steak OR Cremini Mushroom Benedict
on our Cheddar Chive Biscuits, Sautéed Organic Baby Spinach,
Ancho-Chili Hollandaise

EBLT: Toasted Egg Bread, Lemon Thyme Aioli, Sliced Tomato, Bibb lettuce, 2 Fried Eggs, Sugar Slab Bacon

For the KIDS please Choose ONE:
Cheesy Scrambled Egg, Bacon & Fruit
Butter-Pecan French Toast, Sausage & Fruit

Please no Substitutions!
16.50 per guest plus tax & gratuity, drinks not included
Children 5 and above 12.00

I will also come to the event..........There are several blink chargers at the transportation center in nearby Oceanside....looks like a great place for breakfast!!

ufojoe said:
I will also come to the event..........There are several blink chargers at the transportation center in nearby Oceanside....looks like a great place for breakfast!!

Solano Beach is another spot with some Blinks.

Since I was asked some questions, I thought I'd post a summary of my answers about these meetings for folks in the Rav4 community who aren't familiar.

This group has been having meetings since Oct 2010, and has used all kinds of locations. Gary G. (Orange County LEAF driver) and Randy S. (San Diego LEAF and Model S driver) amongst others, got things started, and I've continued to organize things since Oct 2011. Originally, it was only Nissan LEAF cars and meetings were done at Home Town Buffet in Mira Mesa (San Diego county).

We have met at:

1. Home Town Buffet in Mira Mesa (San Diego county). There is plenty of food, but no charging and no private room.

2. The San Diego Auto Museum private room. We made a $50-$100 donation to the museum for use of the room by "passing the hat". There was no food, so future meetings always included food and a private room. There are 7 of the original Ecotality/Blink charge stations installed in San Diego at this location.

3. In Poway, we have used three different rooms at the Old Poway Park location. The Hamburger Factory restaurant back room holds 45, but since we've overfilled that, then we used a room that held "50" (I think) and we overflowed that, so we rented the hall that holds about 75-100.

4. Almost forgot Santa Ysabel, in Nov 2012, where we inaugurated the first DC charger in San Diego. Plenty of charging stations, and a nice restaurant in the mountains with a semi-private eating area. Way too far from the beaten path for future meetings.

5. In February, we met at the KUSI studio and did a live TV presentation with the assembled EVs (Honda Fit EV, Volt, Rav4, Model S, LEAF, ActiveE) and ate at Studio Diner in San Diego in the back patio.

6. And now, we are meeting in Encinitas.

The issues with getting bigger become more difficult. Typically going over 50 bodies in a rented hall starts to require insurance and fire marshall permit and security, etc. I have already paid many city permits for our previous meetings. Even Encinitas requires a 20 page form for this event, plus prepaid (my personal guarantee) food at the restaurant in case folks don't show and eat. Since there are questions about price of the food and whether you could "brown bag" it, or not eat at all, just know that this stuff costs money nonetheless. It takes a large amount of organization and time that I'm glad I don't keep track of .

In the future, I have offered to co-locate these meetings with other EV car clubs. I have zero interest in bylaws, clubs, board members, minutes, etc. We will leave that to the respective clubs. I've done all that with other clubs, and our gatherings will be exactly that; Meet and Greets. Look at cars, talk about cars, eat food while talking about cars and go home. No newsletter, no website, etc.

Tesla and to some degree the Rav4 are unique in that the cars can generally drive to meetings and nobody should need to charge. That's not the case with all the other EV's, and since we attract folks from "up north" with all kinds of EVs, I intend that all our future meetings will be:

1. Any location north of Del Mar, near the coast, so that all San Diego EV drivers can easily attend, and the northerners can also attend.

2. They must have a private or semi-private room that can hold us.

3. There must be some charging nearby.

4. There must be exposure to the general public (that would exclude meetings at private locations with no exposure). We have had print reporters at our meetings, as well as the TV spot I mentioned. Next month, during the All EV Rally "BC2BC-2013" from Canada to Mexico, I expect we will get a good bunch of EV coverage. We all are a piece of the bigger solution to expose the public to EVs.

5. It must be "close and convenient", which means the charging, parking and eating all have to be at the same spot. This Encinitas location has that in buckets, since there are TONS of parking, lots of restaurant choices within walking distance, and charging stations. In the future, this parking lot location will be EVoasis's charging plaza.

6. Fun and informative. We have had many speakers over the years, typically with charging infrastructure providers like Ecotality, EVoasis, Car2Go, Andromeda Power, etc. We did a live DC charger demonstration hosted by Andromeda Power, charging 20-30 cars while we had our meeting (April 2012). I expect we will have plenty of show and tell, and perhaps a speaker or two at this June 8 meet as well.

Tony Williams

See everybody Saturday...

577 S. Vulcan Ave, Encinitas, CA

CHARGING LOCATIONS - click here:

In addition to the two Blink L2's (Blink card required) at our meeting location at Encinitas Station, there are 3 additional Blink J1772 L2's nearby at the San Diego Botanical Garden. We can arrange a ride to/from there. It may only be open during the times the garden is open.

The Botanical Garden's three L2's are in the parking lot at the corner of Ecke Ranch and Quail Gardens, NOT actually at the botanical garden main parking lot. That' the lower parking lot to the San Dieguito Heritage Museum. About 1.7 miles away, and opens at 9am daily. Need Blink card.

The Scripps hospital at 353 Santa Fe Drive, Encinitas, CA has three L2's (free) in two separate locations. Again, we can arrange a pickup, but it's close enough to walk; about 0.7 miles. No card required.

A local Tesla driver can offer his new home charger (J1772 or Tesla HPC?), plus he also has a NEMA 14-50. It is located near La Costa Avenue, only about 7 miles away. You can charge while the meeting is on, and grab a ride to/from the meetings with him as well. No card required.

Expect to spend about $20:

Solace Restaurant
Encinitas, CA

Cream Cheese Frosting

Please CHOOSE ONE:

Cheesy Scrambled Eggs w/

Biscuits and Gravy w/

Ancho-Chili Hollandaise

EBLT: Toasted Egg Bread, Lemon Thyme Aioli, Sliced Tomato, Bibb lettuce, 2 Fried Eggs, Sugar Slab Bacon

Please no Substitutions!

Bump for tomorrow, June 8, at:

577 S. Vulcan Ave, Encinitas, California

10:00 am park

10:30 am eat at Solace (across the street)

1:00 pm wrap up

$20 adults, $15 kids with mandatory gratuity

CHARGING LOCATIONS - click here:

In addition to the two Blink L2's (Blink card required) at our meeting location at Encinitas Station, there are 3 additional Blink J1772 L2's nearby at the San Diego Botanical Garden. We can arrange a ride to/from there. It may only be open during the times the garden is open.

The Botanical Garden's three L2's are in the parking lot at the corner of Ecke Ranch and Quail Gardens, NOT actually at the botanical garden main parking lot. That' the lower parking lot to the San Dieguito Heritage Museum. About 1.7 miles away, and opens at 9am daily. Need Blink card.

The Scripps hospital at 353 Santa Fe Drive, Encinitas, CA has three L2's (free) in two separate locations. Again, we can arrange a pickup, but it's close enough to walk; about 0.7 miles. No card required.

A local Tesla driver can offer his new home charger (J1772 or Tesla HPC?), plus he also has a NEMA 14-50. It is located near La Costa Avenue, only about 7 miles away. You can charge while the meeting is on, and grab a ride to/from the meetings with him as well. No card required.

Expect to spend about $20:

Solace Restaurant
Encinitas, CA

Cream Cheese Frosting

Please CHOOSE ONE:

Cheesy Scrambled Eggs w/

Biscuits and Gravy w/

Ancho-Chili Hollandaise

Please no Substitutions!

About 40 people total, $870 food bill, didn't count all the cars as some were scattered to the various local charge stations. Some folks went to the Poway location!!!!! Lots of EV related industry was present, as is customary. More details later (and a bunch of pics):

4ea7dfb48a87ac0b47f2b20d5feeaf1b.jpg

Back