Steering Lock Active

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ampster

I started a new thread for this but it could also be a subset of the Check Engine Light discussion.

Several times over the past three weeks I have tried to start the car but can not get it in gear, and the right side drivers display reads, "Steering Lock Active". I have cleared this by several cycles of the on off button. It is annoying but I can't duplicate it so I have not taken it to the dealer. I am leaving in two days and will be gone for five days. My new SO, who is already nervous about being alone with an EV, will need the car for her basic transportation while I am gone. Therefore I called the dealer and scheduled an appointment for tomorrow and will leave the car if I can get a loaner. That way my SO will have reliable transportation. Hopefully the diagnostic codes will give the service technician a clue and they can find a solution. Anyone else experience this? I will update this thread on developments.

This will also give me a chance to have the dealer verify which version I am on. I could find no stickers indicating a new rev, despite being told by the technician that I had the latest.

I experienced this a couple of times. The problem won't come up at all if I haven't use the AC for a day or two. So I suspect it may be related to water condensation from using the AC.

silverrav4ev said:
I experienced this a couple of times. The problem won't come up at all if I haven't use the AC for a day or two. So I suspect it may be related to water condensation from using the AC.

My dealer still hasn't figured it out yet. Tomorrow will be a week since I dropped it off I did get a status call and then an email from Entune that my car failed to charge.

The service guy called today and my car is ready. I got a text two days ago from Entune that my car successfully completed charging so I expected a call soon after. The service rep said that the steering lock active message did not show up as a trouble code so all they could do was reflash to firmware to the latest. My service record says .62 and I think that is the one Sheldon Brown said was the latest, in another thread.
It was great getting the car back and I am going to spend more time logging events in case this happens again. I saw on earlier post to this thread that moisture from the AC may be involved. It took 8 days for that issue to be resolved. Fortunately I was fishing in Alaska for five of those days and I had a loaner that my SO could drive.

I just got the error message your Steering Lock Active. I was able to turn the car on and off a few times and bypass the message. Do I need to take the car in and get a firmware update? The car is less then 1 month old and I had them update the firmware when I picked up the car

Back