Tesla model S UMC with J1772 & JESLA(tm) conversion

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait just a dang minute, are you telling me I am not getting an official Tony Williams Jesla, but instead a cheap "brother in the spare room" knock off? :lol:
How can I be sure I will get my full 1.21 gigawatts? Or that all my positrons will go in the proper direction? :ugeek:

Been using the cable a couple of days and I have to say this is really what every EV maker should be including. I returned my Leviton EVSE to Amazon and now using the Jesla at home and work. Really great portability!!!

banshee08 said:
Been using the cable a couple of days and I have to say this is really what every EV maker should be including. I returned my Leviton EVSE to Amazon and now using the Jesla at home and work. Really great portability!!!

Glad you like it!

This is a friendly reminder that there are only 10 days left to take advantage of the EV charging station Government tax credit, set to expire on 12/31/2013.

Take advantage of up to "40% off" the JESLA™ 40 amp EVSE charging solution from Quick Charge Power. By combining the 30% Government tax credit (if applicable, consult with your tax prodessional) with a 10% off sales price through the end of 2013, the sales price is reduced from $1050 to $945. Shipping and possible sales tax may apply. You can place an order by email; [email protected]

We have units ready for immediate shipping. Yes, you could have one under your Xmas tree this year.

Government Tax Credit Information:

A Government tax credit is available for purchases of qualified EV charging stations (EVSE) through 12/31/2013. The tax credit is 30% of total cost of the charging equipment and installation, up to a maximum credit of $1000 for personal and $30,000 for business. For additional information regarding this tax credit and eligibility, please consult with a tax professional for eligibility and refer to IRS form 8911 as well as this government website; http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/laws/US/tech/3270

Thank you,

Tony Williams
R&D Manager
[email protected]

TonyWilliams said:
Government Tax Credit Information:
A Government tax credit is available for purchases of qualified EV charging stations (EVSE) through 12/31/2013. The tax credit is 30% of total cost of the charging equipment and installation, up to a maximum credit of $1000 for personal and $30,000 for business. For additional information regarding this tax credit and eligibility, please consult with a tax professional for eligibility and refer to IRS form 8911 as well as this government website; http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/laws/US/tech/3270
I tried to take the credit for my 2012 purchase of EVSEs and found this credit is not eligible for AMT :-( Very sad..

banshee08 said:
At home and work?? If you're talking about high amp outlets, not just 120V 15/20amp outlets, it's my understanding that it's not a good idea to be plugging and unplugging from these outlets frequently:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/25306-Garage-Wiring-Fire/page8

These high amp outlets require very good, large contacts to avoid potential overheating problems (even a fire) and so appliances should be left plugged in, not repeatedly plugged/unplugged. I have Tony's awesome UMC conversion too but I make sure it remains well-seated at the outlet and I'll only be unplugging it on rare-if-ever occasions I think I'll need to bring the UMC along. Like if I were going somewhere far that doesn't have public EV charging stations.

Definitely. I inspect the plug every time I plug and unplug to the Nema 6-50 plug at work and Home. So far so good. Much appreciate the caution, it is very important that users inspect the plugs and sockets often. The plug I use at work is an extra line for a welder and after about 1 month of usage the plug shows no signs of heat or arching problems. Just normal wear of insertion. I will open up my 6-50 socket at home and take a look inside. So far so good. I have monitor the cable during charge at 242V and 41A for about 30 mins and temps seem very normal.

Incredulocious said:
banshee08 said:
At home and work?? If you're talking about high amp outlets, not just 120V 15/20amp outlets, it's my understanding that it's not a good idea to be plugging and unplugging from these outlets frequently:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/25306-Garage-Wiring-Fire/page8

These high amp outlets require very good, large contacts to avoid potential overheating problems (even a fire) and so appliances should be left plugged in, not repeatedly plugged/unplugged. I have Tony's awesome UMC conversion too but I make sure it remains well-seated at the outlet and I'll only be unplugging it on rare-if-ever occasions I think I'll need to bring the UMC along. Like if I were going somewhere far that doesn't have public EV charging stations.

Take note, a couple more melted/damaged UMC plug adapters – be careful with yours, folks:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/25444-Melted-Charging-Adapter-Cord

I'm going to go inspect mine again today... :?

TonyWilliams said:
Tesla is sold out of the UMC's, so there may be a delay in processing your JESLA orders for the next few weeks.
I thought I read that they pulled them back so they could fix them. There were some stories of melted or faulty connection between the adaptor and the UMC. Probably not a problem for the RAV because of the lower Amps.

Ampster said:
TonyWilliams said:
Tesla is sold out of the UMC's, so there may be a delay in processing your JESLA orders for the next few weeks.
I thought I read that they pulled them back so they could fix them. There were some stories of melted or faulty connection between the adaptor and the UMC. Probably not a problem for the RAV because of the lower Amps.
No... the RAV4 and the Tesla Model S have the same onboard 10 kWh inverter, same draw at 40 amps, same risk of failure. There is an option for dual chargers on the Model S but that doesn't work with the portable UMC.

I haven't seen any mention of them being pulled to be fixed recently. I did read that there was some modification made after some initial issues were encountered, but this was some time ago... maybe late 2012 or early 2013. However, the evidence and reports of issues have continued since then.

Ampster said:
TonyWilliams said:

Yes, a likely redesign from all the failures.

Hi Tony,

I am planning to get a RAV4 EV shortly, is the Jesla Everything Pack $1,085.00 still up? I just need to paypal to your email? When you can deliver?

Thanks
Daniel

I would think we will be able to walk into a Tesla service center and just hand it over and walk out with the replacement?

I purchased my UMC from the local TSC and have a receipt so that is my plan of action,,,

Back