Tesla model S UMC with J1772 & JESLA(tm) conversion

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is this process going? Getting caught up? And are you still offering the service, and are the details still the same?

And is anyone using one on a variety of plugs regularly, and have any advice on that?

Tadol said:
How is this process going? Getting caught up? And are you still offering the service, and are the details still the same?

And is anyone using one on a variety of plugs regularly, and have any advice on that?

I am getting caught up, however, I'm not going to be taking more orders for the immediate future.

Tony,

Interested in being on the next round (round 3). Please let us know if you decide on accepting for new batch.

Thanks,

Chan Banh

I got so back logged on the last batch (mostly my own fault) that I'm not going to let that happen again. First, thanks to everybody who has spent hard earned money on my services. It's way more popular than I could have imagined (even Tesla guys like this).

I'm shipping out the current batch on Monday, but I intend to build some extras this week. I'm going on a cruise in the Caribbean for our 15 year anniversary over Thanksgiving, so I will only do the next round with pre-built UMC's so that there is no chance that I will have any unfilled during my cruise (and I won't have to think about it!).

Again, thanks to everybody, and I sincerely appreciate the patience from the folks who waited up to a month to get there units. I'm sorry that I couldn't get them out sooner, but I'll soon be back on track until my cruise.

I'll let everybody know in about a week.

My condolences on the loss of your father. What an honor to make a custom casket in his memory. No hurry for my UMC...I appreciate your offer to mod these. Thanks.

wimbro said:
My condolences on the loss of your father. What an honor to make a custom casket in his memory. No hurry for my UMC...I appreciate your offer to mod these. Thanks.

2103bbc72e5973f83748c7fd1d6c6a71.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
excerpts:
I'm shipping out the current batch on Monday, but I intend to build some extras this week. I'm going on a cruise in the Caribbean for our 15 year anniversary over Thanksgiving, so I will only do the next round with pre-built UMC's so that there is no chance that I will have any unfilled during my cruise (and I won't have to think about it!).

I'll let everybody know in about a week.
My condolences to you on the loss of your father. And thank you for all your efforts to develop this solution for a Tesla UMC w/J1772. I've been following it over the months while considering whether to upgrade from my 2011 Nissan LEAF to a RAV4. As such, I just brought home a leased RAV4 EV last night (woot!) and would like to take advantage of this UMC solution. Since I can't use my LEAF's EVSEUpgrade-ed charge cord with the RAV4, I'm currently stuck with the Toyota-supplied 120V unit for now. (Two days for a full charge! Dang!)

I found your last detailed posting (10/3/2013) on how to supply you with the UMC and the J1772 plug, but with everything going on for you and this message about "letting everyone know in about a week", I presume I should wait before doing anything or ordering anything?

Please count me in though if you are open to doing another batch!

You guys did a wonderful job on the casket. Nice touch incorporating the horseshoes. Thanks for sharing.

After reading this thread, I'm now concerned about getting a modified Tesla UMC for my daily charging:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/23212-Scary-issue-with-Nema-14-50-adapter-melting

It would seem that the adapter plugs are rather small and can be somewhat easily not seated properly, leading to lots of heat, melting of adapter and risk of fire. I wonder if I should go get a dedicated wall unit and/or back down from 40 amps to 30 amps. Would be great to have such a portable and adaptable charge cord though.

Incredulocious said:
After reading this thread, I'm now concerned about getting a modified Tesla UMC for my daily charging:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/23212-Scary-issue-with-Nema-14-50-adapter-melting

It would seem that the adapter plugs are rather small and can be somewhat easily not seated properly, leading to lots of heat, melting of adapter and risk of fire. I wonder if I should go get a dedicated wall unit and/or back down from 40 amps to 30 amps. Would be great to have such a portable and adaptable charge cord though.
Don't be concerned, just push the adapter on all the way after you plug it into the outlet. Very easy to do. The new Tesla UMC's also seem like they have a more robust contactor, because the failure rate is much, much lower now.

I am new member here. This may be a new topic: Has anyone consider the Telsa's High Power Wall Connector for the garage? Tony's J1772 modification can be done on this Telsa EVSE. Basically cut off the Telsa connector and replace with a 75A J1772 connector. From the product document, it can be installed with different circuit options ranging from 40A to 100A breaker ratings in 10A increments. This seem to be the ideal setup that can be used for any J1772 equipped EVs and Telsa model S with a J1772 to Telsa adapter. Any thoughts on compatibility?

One possible issue is the maximum amperage is 80A and the J1772 connector is rated for 75A. This would only happen with a Model S with 20KW twin chargers.

The 80 amp Tesla HPWC is 100% electrically compatible, as is the Tesla Roadster HPC (just a simple, dependable and robust Clipper Creek CS-90 /"T"S-90 with 70 amp pilot signal). For those Tesla EVSE units, you can just open up the unit and replace the entire cord / plug assembly with any of the numerous J1772 options right at the relay.

Super easy.... so easy, that I'd just have your local handy man electrician dude make the cable swap for you. If somebody wants me to do it, I would, but I have no time currently for that.

TonyWilliams said:
The 80 amp Tesla HPWC is 100% electrically compatible, as is the Tesla Roadster HPC (just a simple, dependable and robust Clipper Creek CS-90 /"T"S-90 with 70 amp pilot signal). For those Tesla EVSE units, you can just open up the unit and replace the entire cord / plug assembly with any of the numerous J1772 options right at the relay.

Super easy.... so easy, that I'd just have your local handy man electrician dude make the cable swap for you. If somebody wants me to do it, I would, but I have no time currently for that.
Tony, how much is a 80Amp rated J1772 gun ?

waidy said:
Tony, how much is a 80Amp rated J1772 gun ?

I don't believe that one is available at any price, unfortunately, so you'd have to charge a Model S or X with "twin chargers" at whatever the maximum that the cable/plug is rated for.

The highest rated one that I'm aware of right now is 50 amp which would work great for the Rav4 EV, Mercedes B-Class ED, and any single charger Tesla Model S or X, all of which use 40 amps.

Back