Tesla model S UMC with J1772 & JESLA(tm) conversion

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
...and a NEMA 5-15 (you don't need)...

Personally, I think I could sell the NEMA 5-15 only portable EVSE that came with my Rav4 EV for a lot more than the $45 charge for the NEMA 5-15 adapter from Tesla.

Tony, is there some issue I should be aware of in terms of using your modified Tesla adapter on 120VAC?

edmc said:
TonyWilliams said:
...and a NEMA 5-15 (you don't need)...

Personally, I think I could sell the NEMA 5-15 only portable EVSE that came with my Rav4 EV for a lot more than the $45 charge for the NEMA 5-15 adapter from Tesla.

Tony, is there some issue I should be aware of in terms of using your modified Tesla adapter on 120VAC?

No, it would work fine on 120v (note: Telsa is polarity sensitive, so that reminds to test for that).

You're also right... sell the Panasonic to a Plug-In Prius driver as a "spare" (it's the same one) for more than $45.

Good points.

Ampster said:
TonyWilliams said:
edmc said:
No, it would work fine on 120v (note: Telsa is polarity sensitive, so that reminds to test for that).

Tony, is that because Tesla uses resistor/and or diodes to ground in the adapters to set the amperage called for by the UMC?

I'm not sure why... it seems silly to me.

Went with a different vendor for my tooling, and it's enroute now, with a Tuesday delivery date. I hope to be completing the round one batch of ten on Wed, with testing on Thurs/Friday. I have a 5k run Saturday morning, and an EV party at my house Saturday night.

The only minor complication I have is some "locator pin tooling" that I had to have custom made for the Chinese clone J1772. I hope to have that by Wed, also.

I will test every unit for 120 volt and 240 volt operation, and probably up to an hour of charging on my Rav4 checking for thermostat operation, and temperature delta at the pins.

TonyWilliams said:
I hope to be completing the round one batch of ten on Wed, with testing on Thurs/Friday. I have a 5k run Saturday morning, and an EV party at my house Saturday night.

woah. You're doing five thousand of those after the first ten check out?

that's how I first read it, but I figured it out now. Hope you have a nice 3.1mile jog/race

I got the calibrated tooling today! Still waiting for a specialty pin, but we're good through Aug 9, 2014.

"Inspection and calibration procedures are in accordance with MIL-I-45208A and ANSI/NCSL Z540-1. Master gage blocks are calibrated annually to standards directly traceable to the National Institute of Standards and Technology"

I love it when a plan comes together.

Ok, the next wave of orders is open, as I have all the required tooling.

Drop ship the Model S UMC to me at the address listed.

Drop ship the TucsonEV 70 amp J1772.

PayPal me $235, which includes shipping, handling and $1000 insurance.

UPS return shipping only.

No older versions of the J1772.

No warranty, expressed or implied.

Tony

Tony,

Sign me up. Is it possible to drop these items off at your house? I pass right by there twice a day.

Sign me up, Tony! I'm going to the Tesla service center in Burlingame on Tuesday, will get the Model S UMC, and will purchase the J1772 adapter online and ship to you ASAP.

When I called the Tesla service center they said that I had to have the vin# of the vehicle I was purchasing it for. Any one else have this problem or a way around it?

Maybe personally present to the service center? Menlo Park service center and Dallas service center gave me this statement over the phone "we don't sell UMCs unbundled." All the while Tony has been able to buy 2 unbundled UMC from them. Or you can order online for the bundle as I did.

B-Bob said:
When I called the Tesla service center they said that I had to have the vin# of the vehicle I was purchasing it for. Any one else have this problem or a way around it?

I ordered mine online. No issues.

Back