Tesla model S UMC with J1772 & JESLA(tm) conversion

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to use the 40 amp Tesla UMC with your Rav4 EV, you buy the Tesla Model S UMC, and also buy the Tucson EV 70 amp J1772 plug. Be sure and get whatever plug you want (typically 14-50, about $45 from Tesla).

NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED!!! Tesla will not warranty the UMC if it fails and neither will I. Caveat emptor!!!

Ok, we're a launch for the J1772 conversion. When sending money, please include screen name on the forum so that I know who is who. Obviously, If your name is the screen name, that's not needed.

Buy the Model S UMC and the http://www.TucsonEV.com 70 amp J1772 for $155. When you order the parts, you can have them drop shipped directly to me. No need to go to your house first.

Why can't I buy them first for you? When you buy them and pay whatever taxes, if any, you own it and i never did, nor do I have a tax obligation. I will never own your products you send me. Services are tax free here in California, so there's no tax liability for me.

I accept no responsibility if the Tesla product shows up not working, before or after my work. Nothing I do affects the operation of the UMC electrically. Services are tax free here in California, so there's no tax liability for me.

Ship it to:

Anthony Williams
12656 Sabre View Cove
San Diego, CA 92128-4160

with a check for $200, plus whatever the return postage is.

The turn around will be a few weeks, since we are doing a group of 10 or more.

After you send them to me I will assemble and return the unit. No warranty expressed or implied. $200 each, with 10 units minimum, which has been met.

0) mudpie (first one delivered with positive reviews so far)
1) quartzav
2) Victor Kruger (VQ EV)
3) sminx
4) elmoll (shipped my personal UMC July 22, 2013 with LED light)
5) occ (sending UMC and old style Chinese clone 70 amp J1772), UMC/PLUG ARRIVED
6) ravible ???
7) geo ???
8) Waidy (drop shipping UMC and J1772 directly to me), UMC ARRIVED
9) Costas Marinakis from tesla forum, UMC ARRIVED
10) me
11) Koetsu13

NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED!!! Tesla will not warranty the UMC if it fails. Thankfully, the J1772 is unlikely to fail, but the Tesla warranty claims on UMC's is high. You have been warned. Caveat emptor!!!

If the UMC does fail, take it to Tesla and try and ask nice to swap it for a new one. When they tell you "no", ship it to me for a free evaluation on what to do next. Again, no warranty expressed or implied. Caveat emptor!

I only live 3.5 miles from you. My parts should be in early next week so can I drop them off sometime your home and just give you cash? Let me know later next week. Thanks.

VQ EV said:
I only live 3.5 miles from you. My parts should be in early next week so can I drop them off sometime your home and just give you cash? Let me know later next week. Thanks.

Ok, that works. Did you already get the UMC? I'll probably go down today or tomorrow and get another one for me!!

I feel like the cobbler whose kids had no shoes.

FedEx tried to deliver my UMC today, but I wasn't home. If they left a card I should get it tomorrow. The J1772 may take a couple days more. I probably won't use it until at least September and you may be done with it by then.

If you want to use the 40 amp Tesla UMC with your Rav4 EV, you buy the Tesla Model S UMC, and also buy the Tucson EV 70 amp J1772 plug. Be sure and get whatever wall plug you want (typically 14-50, about $45 from Tesla).

NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED!!! Tesla will not warranty the UMC if it fails and neither will I. Caveat emptor!!!

When sending money, please include screen name on the forum so that I know who is who. Obviously, If your name is the screen name, that's not needed.

Buy the Model S UMC and the http://www.TucsonEV.com 70 amp J1772 for $155. When you order the parts, you can have them drop shipped directly to me. No need to go to your house first.

Why can't I buy them first for you? When you buy them and pay whatever taxes, if any, you own it and I never did, nor do I have a tax obligation. I will never own your products you send me. Services are tax free here in California, so there's no tax liability for me.

I accept no responsibility if the Tesla product shows up not working, before or after my work. Nothing I do affects the operation of the UMC electrically. Services are tax free here in California, so there's no tax liability for me.

Ship it to:

Anthony Williams
12656 Sabre View Cove
San Diego, CA 92128-4160

After you send them to me I will assemble and return the unit. No warranty expressed or implied. $200 each, with 10 units minimum, which has been met.

0) mudpie (hand delivered first one delivered with positive reviews so far)
1) quartzav UMC ARRIVED
2) Victor Kruger (VQ EV)
3) sminx
4) elmoll (UPS delivered my personal UMC July 22, 2013 with LED light)
6) ravible ???
7) geo ???
10) me
11) Koetsu13
12) David Grigg

NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED!!! Tesla will not warranty the UMC if it fails. Thankfully, the J1772 is unlikely to fail, but the Tesla warranty claims on UMC's is high. You have been warned. Caveat emptor!!!

If the UMC does fail, take it to Tesla and try and ask nice to swap it for a new one. When they tell you "no", ship it to me for a free evaluation on what to do next. Again, no warranty expressed or implied. Caveat emptor!

I had four UMC arrive yesterday... Please help me match the missing screen name with your parts!!!

Please include your screen name in correspondences or PayPal notes!!!

1) quartzav UMC ARRIVED
2) Victor Kruger (VQ EV)
3) sminx
6) ravible ???
7) geo ???
10) me
11) Koetsu13
12) David Grigg

Good Evening Tony are you willing to do another charger I would like to be number 12 if possible? It would be greatly appreciated. Looking to buy a Rav4 EV this week and do not have a charger so I am worried about not having 40Amp access. Thank you David

David Grigg said:
Good Evening Tony are you willing to do another charger I would like to be number 12 if possible? It would be greatly appreciated. Looking to buy a Rav4 EV this week and do not have a charger so I am worried about not having 40Amp access. Thank you David

Have your electrician install a NEMA 14-50 on a 50 amp circuit with 6 gauge minimum wire. It does not require a NEUTRAL wire.

I cannot guarantee one week at this time. Sorry.

Tony

If you want to use the 40 amp Tesla UMC with your Rav4 EV, you buy the Tesla Model S UMC, and also buy the Tucson EV 70 amp J1772 plug. Be sure and get whatever wall plug you want (typically 14-50, about $45 from Tesla).

You can order the Model S UMC package for $650 online here:

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters

TESLA PN: 1025821-00-A

Contents:

1 Mobile Connector Main Unit
1 NEMA 14-50 Adapter
1 NEMA 5-15 Adapter
1 Storage Bag

Or buy it from a Service Center, just the UMC for $480 plus $45 for the NEMA 14-50.

When sending money, please include screen name on the forum so that I know who is who. Obviously, If your name is the screen name, that's not needed.

Why can't I buy them first for you? When you buy them and pay whatever taxes, if any, you own it and I never did, nor do I have a tax obligation. I will never own your products you send me. Services are tax free here in California, so there's no tax liability for me.

Ship it to:

Anthony Williams
12656 Sabre View Cove
San Diego, CA 92128-4160

1) quartzav UMC ARRIVED
2) Victor Kruger (VQ EV)
3) sminx
6) ravible ???
7) geo ???
10) me
11) Koetsu13
12) David Grigg

I have received 5 of the pledged UMC/J1772 combos (in addition to the two already delivered). Two of them have the older style J1772, so just know that I'm poking needles in your voodoo doll tonight.

The shipment that I received today had the test pins for crimp testing, pull test, and load test. We will start that tomorrow.

I'm planning the following mods:

1) Hole for padlock
http://www.masterlock.com/product_details/CoveredSolidBodyPadlocks/131T

2) Thermostat for overtemp protection at 70C

3) LED light for night time use

I now have both parts. Are you available any weekday after 4 PM or anytime this weekend to drop off?

I have a total of 10 UMC's and plugs in my garage, so that is the cut off for this round.

The shop doing the crimp machine has been backed up, and that is the current hold up. I hope to get this complete next week, even if I have to rent a separate machine for making the proper 4 indent crimps.

A second round is possible if there is interest. The turn around for those will be 24 hours, because I will have spares and all equipment in house.

Thanks all for you patience.

Tony

Hi Tony, I'm very interested depending on turnaround time now. I know you already have your first 10, so let me know how the next round will work. May call my local Tesla center in OC tomorrow to see if they have the UMC in stock. If so, I can order the J1772 as well. Or maybe better to drop ship to you and order online now that I think about it.

So just let me know what the current turnaround time is currently. Thanks a lot, we all appreciate it!

Mike

duggie said:
Hi Tony, I'm very interested depending on turnaround time now. I know you already have your first 10, so let me know how the next round will work. May call my local Tesla center in OC tomorrow to see if they have the UMC in stock. If so, I can order the J1772 as well. Or maybe better to drop ship to you and order online now that I think about it.

So just let me know what the current turnaround time is currently. Thanks a lot, we all appreciate it!

Mike

I'll let you know when I do a round two. It's all dependent on getting the crimper going (and unfortunately, this is largely not in my control).

Tony, I don't need mine until at least September so if some is desprate to get one you can bump me back in the que.

VQ EV said:
Tony, I don't need mine until at least September so if some is desprate to get one you can bump me back in the que.

I'm going to build the 10 that I have in order to ensure everything "works"!!

That means tooling, parts, etc. After this is settled, it will be very easy for me to make 24 hour turn around times in the future.

wimbro said:
Thanks for the clarification. I plan to purchase the Model S UMC ($480) plus 14-50, 5-15, and 10-30 adapters ($45 each) from the factory service center tomorrow. Then the J1772 plug for a little cord modification. Seems like a very flexible and portable 40A charging solution for $615 and change. Thanks.

Did I miss the boat on the $480 price. I could only find the $650 option.

Back