Tesla model S UMC with J1772 & JESLA(tm) conversion

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wimbro said:
If removed and wired to ModS EVSE, will the J1772 plug on the stock EVSE handle 40a loads?

If you can get pins rated for 40 amps, crimped pins can't be reused.

If you want to use the 40 amp Tesla UMC with your Rav4 EV, you buy the Tesla Model S UMC, and also buy the Tucson EV 70 amp J1772 plug.

Then, send them to me and I will assemble, test and return the unit. No warranty expressed or implied. $200 each, with 10 units total (basically, I'm going to buy the machine to do it with the money). List your name below so that when we have ten, we can do it:

1) quartzav
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Put me on the list Victor Kruger. The Tesla site shows out of stock for the UMC kit. When do you need it by? I'll order the J1772 unless people want to do a group buy.

VQ EV said:
Put me on the list Victor Kruger. The Tesla site shows out of stock for the UMC kit. When do you need it by? I'll order the J1772 unless people want to do a group buy.

No time limit. I would wait to buy the stuff when we have ten units ordered. I finished the first two, and have been testing them for about 10 days.

Tony

TonyWilliams said:
If you want to use the 40 amp Tesla UMC with your Rav4 EV, you buy the Tesla Model S UMC, and also buy the Tucson EV 70 amp J1772 plug.

Then, send them to me and I will assemble, test and return the unit. No warranty expressed or implied. $200 each, with 10 units total (basically, I'm going to buy the machine to do it with the money). List your name below so that when we have ten, we can do it:)

1) quartzav
2) Victor Kruger (VQ EV)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)

TonyWilliams said:

Then, send them to me and I will assemble, test and return the unit. No warranty expressed or implied. $200 each, with 10 units total (basically, I'm going to buy the machine to do it with the money). List your name below so that when we have ten, we can do it:)

1) quartzav
2) Victor Kruger (VQ EV)
3) sminx
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)

This sounds like a wonderful idea. It would be an ideal charging solution for me, but I am not sure if I can wait long enough to see it happen.

I'm looking for the best mobile charging solution.

elmoll said:
What are your requirements? The Model S MC is a unique unit with some good features unavailable in other units.

How many kW do you want to deliver to the car? What kind of plugs do you want to use? How "mobile" does it need to be?

elmoll said:
This sounds like a wonderful idea. It would be an ideal charging solution for me, but I am not sure if I can wait long enough to see it happen.

Maybe for an additional premium, I will do less than 10 in a batch. The UMC *is* the best mobile charging solution.

I would be interested in it, even at a premium, but add me to the list anyway.

Right now I charge my EV with the Upgraded LEAF unit. As we know, it does not work with the RAV.

I park outside in a townhouse parking lot and need to be able to disconnect the EVSE. I am mainly interested in the Tesla upgrade over the Leaf upgrade because it is a 40 amp unit versus the Panosonic unit's lesser output.

My plug is rated for 40 amps, but I have a L6-20 outlet, which I can change if needed. I have also considered the SPX unit, but it is sold out, and there are some compatibility questions with the RAV. My other option was the Levinton Unit that charges at 40 amps but I would prefer a unit that I do not have to mount.

I am looking to sell my 2012 upgraded Leaf evse, since it does not work with the RAV.

I have seen various prices for the Tesla UMC up to $1500 on the Tesla store. One of the great features is the ability to supply various Kwhr rates. That versatility and its small size make it a good option.

Is there a trick to finding one cheaper than on the Tesla store?

Ampster said:
I have seen various prices for the Tesla UMC up to $1500 on the Tesla store. One of the great features is the ability to supply various Kwhr rates. That versatility and its small size make it a good option.

Is there a trick to finding one cheaper than on the Tesla store?
The unit discussed in this thread is the "Model S Mobile Connector". The bundle currently appears on the Tesla Accessories Store site with the 5-15 and 14-50 adapters and a carrying bag for $650. The one that is $1,500 is the "Roadster Universal Mobile Connector". There is no reason to use that one for RAV4 EV conversion.

On the Tesla website, the Model S Mobile Connector Bundle is sold out, can one still get only the "Model S Mobile Connector" (without then bundle) at a service center?

occ said:
On the Tesla website, the Model S Mobile Connector Bundle is sold out, can one still get only the "Model S Mobile Connector" (without then bundle) at a service center?

Yes. You don't need the 5-15, since one already came with your car.

$480 plus $45 for the NEMA 14-50 (or whatever else you want).

occ said:
I did get mine just the connector for $480 several months ago from the service center. I ordered it moons ago and it was on back order for a long time. When it came in, the service center called me to pick it up. They even threw in a bag for me (I guess it's to make up my wait on the UMC).

Then, send them to me and I will assemble, test and return the unit. No warranty expressed or implied. $200 each, with 10 units total (basically, I'm going to buy the machine to do it with the money). List your name below so that when we have ten, we can do it:)[/quote]

1) quartzav
2) Victor Kruger (VQ EV)
3) sminx
4) elmoll (wants one "quick", even at a premium)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)

Back