To keep the RAV, or not keep the RAV, that's the question?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shade said:
Thanks for all the thoughts and feedback. It's been helpful.

The Bolt news is out and it looks pretty promising. No release date as of yet, but it looks good.

I just took my RAVEV in for the recall notice and got the run around (no parts, we'll call you, it's Tesla's fault, Oops, got to go, another call...). It is such a bummer. I definitely feel like Toyota isn't even interested in hoping you'll buy a different Toyota some day.

I am in the same boat. lease expires mid-july. i want a Bolt but timing is bad. I'm considering asking Toyota for a 6-month lease extension.

just had the recall done. was without the car for 8 days. they either blew out the gateway ECU or it became incompatible and had to be replaced.

I was wondering about a lease extension as well. I've read that BMW has offered that for some of their i3 owners. Has anyone here been able to extend their lease?

I would love to keep my RAV4EV, but when my lease is up in November of 2017 I doubt I'd want to offer/pay much more than $10k for it, especially knowing that I'll need/want to purchase an additional warranty for peace of mind and that there will be several new vehicles with better range on the market.

For overall utility and cargo capacity, the RAV4EV trounces the Leaf we leased for 3 years. Build quality and reliability are a totally different story.

Thanks, that's helpful. So you feel that the build quality on the Leaf is better than the RavEV?

Time is running out (for me) and I'll need to make a decision soon. I'm still contemplating several options. I wish my residual was lower. It seems crazy that I will be able to turn my car in and then buy a similar one for less than my residual.

The build quality on a RAV is superior to a LEAF by a big margin EXCEPT for any Tesla related parts. The LEAF is poorly constructed and painted, terrible fit and finish.

Having actually owned both and with no skin in the game (each being my first acquisition of each respective brand), I wholeheartedly disagree. My RAV4EV came to me with interior pillar trim pieces that popped off on their own, gaps in door handle trim through which you can see the underlying door structure, some rattles when driving over bumpy roads, loose-fitting wheel inserts that click when I drive down the street, and a misaligned hood and fenders. By contrast, we had zero such issues with the Leaf, which included some trim pieces straight out of the Infinity parts bin.

This is before considering the Leaf's superior multimedia interface (you want to actually be able to adjust the volume??), rear heated seats, heated steering wheel, and quick charger.

And we aren't even factoring in the poor sales/service experience, or the myriad recalls.

The RAV4 wins for range and interior capacity, no question. But it definitely feels like an inferior product, overall, to us.

unHookt said:
Having actually owned both and with no skin in the game (each being my first acquisition of each respective brand), I wholeheartedly disagree. My RAV4EV came to me with interior pillar trim pieces that popped off on their own, gaps in door handle trim through which you can see the underlying door structure, some rattles when driving over bumpy roads, loose-fitting wheel inserts that click when I drive down the street, and a misaligned hood and fenders. By contrast, we had zero such issues with the Leaf, which included some trim pieces straight out of the Infinity parts bin.

This is before considering the Leaf's superior multimedia interface (you want to actually be able to adjust the volume??), rear heated seats, heated steering wheel, and quick charger.

And we aren't even factoring in the poor sales/service experience, or the myriad recalls.

The RAV4 wins for range and interior capacity, no question. But it definitely feels like an inferior product, overall, to us.

There are plenty of problems with the RAV4 EV. But, your list of build quality issues, have not been seen here before. Tony's first RAV4 EV had every know problem and none from on your list.

unHookt said:
Whatever, dude. Every known problem to you and Tony, I guess.

Well, I have been on this forum since it started. The issues that you have are NOT common, whether you think so or not.

That doesn't mean you didn't have those problems... it just means they are not common.

I never had any rattles of any kind; actually, virtually no Toyota issues. But, every single thing that Tesla put their finger on broke!!!

Overall, the build quality seems reasonable. Component failures are HUGE!

TonyWilliams said:
The issues that you have are NOT common, whether you think so or not.

Fender gap issue
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1404&hilit=fender

Wheel clicking noise
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1196&p=20904&hilit=clicking+wheel+noise#p20904
and
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=825&p=13688&hilit=clicking+wheel+noise#p13688

TonyWilliams said:
unHookt said:

Well, I have been on this forum since it started. The issues that you have are NOT common, whether you think so or not.

That doesn't mean you didn't have those problems... it just means they are not common.

I never had any rattles of any kind; actually, virtually no Toyota issues. But, every single thing that Tesla put their finger on broke!!!

True and my LEAF had so many fit and finish issues not to mention the wash off paint. I found more than 10 missing fasteners in places and man items never attached on the inside of the dash.

unHookt said:

True the Volume is stupid on the RAV but your comment about the ELAF interface is the funniest I have heard ever, the LEAF infotainment system is the most cobbled together POS ever. The issues with your RAV fit and finish are very unusual and I can tell you the LEAF is far worse, I know I a have seem the issues over and over.

unHookt said:
TonyWilliams said:
The issues that you have are NOT common, whether you think so or not.

Fender gap issue
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1404&hilit=fender

Wheel clicking noise
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1196&p=20904&hilit=clicking+wheel+noise#p20904
and
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=825&p=13688&hilit=clicking+wheel+noise#p13688

I'm familiar with both. I actually have the fender gap issue. The wheel noise, I did not (and that's a really simple fix). The fender gap issue is probably "common". The wheel noise, not so much.

Again, my debate is not WHETHER you had these issues... it's the degree with which it impacts the fleet.

I don't agree. My A pillar trim came off. My roof rack trim can't seem to stay on either. The rear bumper deformed, causing the black piece above it to cave in.

My Leaf only had a bad AC, except the replacement AC is almost as loud and Nissan wont replace it. :x

TonyWilliams said:
unHookt said:

cossie1600 said:
The rear bumper deformed, causing the black piece above it to cave in.
This is definitely a design problem. The top of the rear bumper cover looks like a step but there is no structure under it to support any weight. Dogs or children standing on it will cave it in and it jams in that position. It's a real hassle to pull it back up into the proper position. However, like the clicking wheel center logos, these things are so minor that they would never be a consideration for me whether to keep the car or not.

I am waiting for the Model 3 release. If it goes 200 miles on a charge and is under 35k I will probably return my RAV next summer.

burningmay said:
I am waiting for the Model 3 release. If it goes 200 miles on a charge and is under 35k I will probably return my RAV next summer.
What will you drive between when you turn in your RAV in Summer 2017 and when you can actually get a base trim Model 3? It may be as late as Summer 2018 when they start producing base Model 3's.

miimura said:
burningmay said:
What will you drive between when you turn in your RAV in Summer 2017 and when you can actually get a base trim Model 3? It may be as late as Summer 2018 when they start producing base Model 3's.

Plenty of options, not the least of which is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13-lVO5cJEM

Back