Traction motor [mechanically] disconnected from drive train

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JoulesThief said:
If only the electrics, the software programming, and the firmware were that simple, Tony. It's not just screwing in nuts and bolts and fasteners to replace... There is adaptation that needs to occur on german cars, procedures in certain order, and on and on and on, which the germans, I assure you keep locked up to monopolize service and repair on their vehicles, to support and keep business coming back to their dealerships.

What in the HELL does this have to do with a Toyota RAV4 EV? If "the Germans" are doing all these "bad" things, and that's a problem for you... well, you know the answer.

Yes, again, the electrics on the RAV4 EV are FAR easier than any servicing and maintaining any complicated hybrid or petroleum car. Yes, it really is that_simple.

I own two VW Touaregs TDIs, there is no one in the USA that knows how to work on them, all diagnostics get sent back to Germany for an engineer to diagnose, and then tell the technician what the next step is.

Probably so that nobody can figure out their emissions ;-)

I don't tell Toyota or VW how to run their business, that's up to them. If you don't like how they run their business or how they service it or don't service it, don't buy the product.
But at least go in with both eyes open. If Toyota only sells them in California, and services them only in California [Moderator Edit: DELETE INFLAMARORY REMARKS] caveat emptor

It's just short of comical that you're "educating" me on whether or not I like the RAV4 EV, and how I should handle myself. Ya, my eyes are closed !!! That's what everybody tells me!

Toyota is in business to make a profit. Servicing outside of states the EV is not sold in is obviously not profitable, hence the discouragement of owning or breaking down out of state.

No, you really don't understand the Toyota dynamic here. CARB requires that, since model year 2012, the six largest auto makers must sell ZEV cars. It has nothing to do with "making a profit".

We estimate that Toyota spent up to $80,000 per RAV4 EV sold, with $40,000 per car going to Tesla alone ($100 million for 2600 cars). So, they were never "making money"... it is purely and singularly for compliance so that they can sell hundreds of thousands of money making gasoline cars in California. That's it... end of story.

As an aside, I sold my 1987 Toyota 4x4 SR-5 manual with 350k miles on it last year... Seems far more reliable per mile traveled than any Toyota with American made Tesla parts in it,... Maybe Toyota buying American technology to meet CARB demands wasn't such a good or profitable business model

I'm confident that the RAV4 EV is by far the least dependable of any Toyota car. We already know that. It was a good idea for Toyota, since they met their CARB-ZEV goals with very little work on their behalf (while they were busy with hydrogen cars).

We have seen their "EV"... the 38 mile EPA range Scion iQ EV... what a joke. Nobody would have bought that one!!! Nor would that have earned three ZEV credits per car.

All these failed electric motors, both in the Tesla and the RAV4 is a real turn off, once out of warranty. I am hoping VW and Audi do a better job of it than Tesla or Toyota.

So, are you looking to get a RAV4 EV? Why are you here?

Ahh... JoulesThief, meet Tony Williams, and vice-versa. I've been reading the e-Golf forum for a while, so I'm quite familiar with JoulesThief and his, um, shall we say, point of view. There is little to no moderation over there, so some threads have gone a little off the deep end. I mostly just bite my tongue and resist the urge to get involved.

Anyway, sorry to hear Brad's car has to go back in for service.

miimura said:
Ahh... JoulesThief, meet Tony Williams, and vice-versa. I've been reading the e-Golf forum for a while, so I'm quite familiar with JoulesThief and his, um, shall we say, point of view. There is little to no moderation over there, so some threads have gone a little off the deep end. I mostly just bite my tongue and resist the urge to get involved.

It absolutely won't be open season here, as long as I'm around!

We can respectively disagree on things.

Holy cow. I step away for awhile and look. lol

I have driven the crap out of this car for the past 2+ years. It unfortunate that the traction motor took a crap, but hey its life. Toyota fixed it and now they are replacing the battery charger. Should have it back tomorrow or the next day.

Did this experience sour my outlook on EV's? Absolutely not. If I had the money I would buy a Tesla today.

Back