TSB 82-15 - Charge timer intermittent issues

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vips

Hello,
At the 5K mile service today at Fremont Toyota, there was a bulletin TSB 0082-15 that relates to Charge Timer intermittent issue fix. I double checked and it is not TSB 0052-15 or 0053-15, that others have received in the past.
I did not get this update as it was discovered late in the day and had to go back home but have scheduled an appt next month to get the firmware updated.
I read the verbiage on the bulletin and it mentions that the update will fix charge timer related issues in case of power outage, black-outs and other timer related issues. Yes, it was that vague...

The most interesting part was that is mentioned in bold that this update will not fix:

- Vehicle Start timer related issue
- Starting charge via EVSE initiated timer
- Charge timer not starting on 31st of the month.

I was glad to notice that Toyota is aware of the above 3 issues and mentioning it in TSB may imply they will fix them at some point. My technician at Fremont Toyota was going to log the above 3 issues on my behalf with Toyota tech line so that it is documented and recorded.

vips said:
Hello,
At the 5K mile service today at Fremont Toyota, there was a bulletin TSB 0082-15 that relates to Charge Timer intermittent issue fix. .........................
The most interesting part was that is mentioned in bold that this update will not fix:

I have a home built timer that I use with my EVSE. I assume that from the vehicle point of view it comes on just like the ones with an EVSE initiated timer. My question is, has anyone experienced this issue?

I haven't experienced it, but my timer is only a few weeks old and only been through a few charges.

I found a PAID subscription website that lists ALL TSBs for the RAV4 EV here:

https://www.eautorepair.net/app/TSBS_ALL.asp?S0=16384&S1=8388608&SG=NewUser&YR=2012&MK=173&MD=1554&SM=6034&AG=B00540230&MKN=Toyota&MDN=RAV4+EV&PS=8388608&MA=15

I subscribed but cannot post the details of the TSBs pertinent to our car due to the EULA on that site. However, I will mention that the earlier TSB from last March (T-SB-0050-13) was superceded by another TSB of the same number, known as "REV1". This TSB was reissued on July 29th.

In this TSB the firmware in the EV Gateway Control ECU (i.e. the Tesla electronic control module mounted in the left rear side wall inside the car) has been recalibrated. The new calibration ID is known as "1.3.62". You can verify if your car has this update by looking for a little label sticker on the rear edge underside of the hood. If you have a sticker, just verify that it has this calibration ID number. If there is no sticker, than your car's EV Gateway Control ECU may not have been updated. Applying this sticker is actually specified in the updating procedure.

I suspect this "update" actually came from Tesla, although only an authorized Toyota service center (with a Techstream 2.0) can make the update under warranty. Being this update affects the Tesla electronics, it is very likely a reflash of embedded "code" that came from Tesla. Therefore, it "should be", or one can at least hope, it's a fix from Tesla to resolve our various scheduled charging problems. I remain skeptical nevertheless.

I'm having my one year service performed on my car in a few weeks, so I will report back afterwards on the status of this update and how effective it is on my 2012 RAV4 EV.

Stay tuned . . .

***Update to my last post***

I got the update yesterday, but although this was presumably done to (Tesla's) EV Gateway Logic ECU in the back of the car, my center cosole still shows Navigation software version, "VB503102", which is out of date. I believe the most recent version should be "VB503150", which results from having the update applicable to TSB 0282-13 as referred to by the OP in this tread. There was no Calibration sticker applied to my car either, so I now have TWO reasons to believe my dealer did not do what I expected. I brought the missing sticker to the Service Representatives attention before I left the dealership, but was merely reassured they did all the other pertinent requirements of the procedure. I will probably take the car back and have them recheck EVERYTHING is fully up to date regarding any and all firmware updates.

Last night my car was scheduled for a standard charge, which did occur as expected. RavCharge provided an assist however, so do not know if the car would have charged on schedule by itself. I guess I will have to try it again without RavCharge to be sure.

Dsinned said:
***Update to my last post***

I got the update yesterday, but although this was presumably done to (Tesla's) EV Gateway Logic ECU in the back of the car, my center cosole still shows Navigation software version, "VB503102", which is out of date. I believe the most recent version should be "VB503150", which results from having the update applicable to TSB 0282-13 as referred to by the OP in this tread. There was no Calibration sticker applied to my car either, so I now have TWO reasons to believe my dealer did not do what I expected. I brought the missing sticker to the Service Representatives attention before I left the dealership, but was merely reassured they did all the other pertinent requirements of the procedure. I will probably take the car back and have them recheck EVERYTHING is fully up to date regarding any and all firmware updates.

Last night my car was scheduled for a standard charge, which did occur as expected. RavCharge provided an assist however, so do not know if the car would have charged on schedule by itself. I guess I will have to try it again without RavCharge to be sure.

Do you mind me asking which dealer you went to? This will help me decide where to go for the 5000 mi service.

TIA

My purchased at and servicing dealer is Piercey Toyota in Milpitas, CA. Also, FWIW, they have a "free" EVSE L2 charging station in the parking lot, but it is usually occupied by the dealer's own cars, or blocked by other cars. Unfortunately, it is bordered on all sides by handicapped only parking spaces. I complained about this several times, but nothing was ever done about it. :roll:

vips said:

Have these been fixed at all? First two seem to be an issue for me.

Vehicle starts charging several hours early putting me out of low TOU window. Especially when battery is fairly low.
Tried using the delay on the Schneider EVSE and vehicle failed to charge.

RAV is just a week old so I assume I have all updates.
Any workarounds?

ufojoe said:
Either set your departure time ahead two hours, or try ravcharge @ ravcharge.com
Preferably both. ;) Setting the departure timer ahead will make sure the low-SOC charges don't start too early, and RavCharge will make sure the high-SOC charges don't start too late (and make sure charges happen at all on 31st days, or after 120v charging, or whenever else the car's timer decides to flake.)

Back