Two EVs - One charger or two?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRoman

Hello,

I am picking up my new RAV4 EV today (VIN# 3458). I also own a Leaf. My question is whether it is worth installing a second charger. Those of you who have two EVs, do you have two chargers or swap time between one charger?

I have the Blink unit that was free including installation in 2011 (I have read many negative comments on the Blink unit in this forum, but I have not experienced any problems). I was thinking of possibly getting a Jesla or a JuiceBox to have the portability and increased charge rate. I was also thinking of potentially upgrading my electric panel to have two chargers and take maximum advantage of the low midnight to 7 am PG&E TOU rates. However, in thinking about it more, perhaps I can get by using one charger. My wife and I typically both work at home two days a week (mostly the same days, but not always). Our commutes are roughly the same distance. Although the Leaf's range means it must be charged after every commute day, the RAV4 can make two round trips. Thus, it could potentially be recharged during the nights following the days we work at home. It seems like these are my options:

1) Use the existing charger (40 amp circuit, but Blink recommends charging the RAV4 at 24 amps due to previous heat issues) and swap between cars. Some coordination needed to make sure each car has enough charge when needed.
2) Buy a Jesla or JuiceBox and use the existing 40 amp plug (charging at 32 amp) instead of using the Blink. Some coordination still needed, but charge times are faster, which will help.
3) Upgrade electrical panel and have two chargers. No coordination needed and fastest charge times.

Which option do you suggest? Thanks for your input.

Ron

CONGRATS!!!

I have two EVs (RAV4 EV and VOLT) and manage to alternately charge both from one L2 EVSE (JuiceBox), limited to 32A max due to my home AC wiring restrictions. I only charge either car during "off-peak" PG&E rate hours (midnight to 7am on weekdays). Because I have a short commute in my VOLT and my wife only uses the RAV4 to run errands, we can get by for several days straight without needing a recharge. However, if I was in your situation, I would get a JuiceBox (and upgrade my wiring if necessary) to charge faster, but still only one car at a time.

My situation is similar to Dsinned with a RAV and a Volt. We currently have a Leviton 40A and get by. If I had a choice, I would opt for two EVSEs. I have to coordinate with my wife who typically drives slightly more than half the Volts EV range on the days that she drives, but doesn't drive every day. I drive about 20% of the RAV's range but am reluctant to let it go below 35mi on the GOM (I know its an inaccurate measurement) as on two occasions when I should have been able to make the round trip, I was asked to go shopping by my wife or was transferred to a second office and suddenly found myself with range anxiety. I therefore try to charge every third night. Now comes the problem of coordinating with my wife which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. As a result, some of my charging occurs during Peak or Partial-Peak times. Several times I had to wake up at 5am to switch the plug in order to get 2 hours of Off-Peak for the Volt before the rates go up.

Therefore, if you have the option to install a second circuit, do so. You can keep the Leaf on the Blink/40A circuit and buy a better EVSE on a 50A circuit for the RAV. If its possible to upgrade the other circuit to 50A, do so! You can still run the Blink on it.

I also have a Rav and Leaf, and I installed a second EVSE right away. I had been charging my Leaf (with an EVSEupgrade) off of an unused dryer outlet in my garage, and when I got the Rav I added a Clipper Creek CS-60 on the side of my house easily accessible from my driveway.

By the way, you shouldn't get in the habit of calling them "chargers" - chargers are "smart" units onboard the car, or offboard in the case of CHAdeMO, etc., that do the electrical "heavy lifting" of charging your battery while EVSEs are really just "dumb" switches. Calling them "chargers" gives them more credit than they deserve. ;)

I'm sure you could get by with one, especially if you don't drive that much, but it's not worth the inconvenience if you ask me - just bite the bullet and install a 2nd. Why do you think you'd need a panel upgrade just to install another 240v circuit? If you're out of breaker slots there are simple ways to shuffle things around and make room, such as combining multiple 120v circuits onto a combo breaker, or with a subpanel, etc. You shouldn't be concerned about the load, since you plan on charging in the middle of the night when there's likely nothing else using electricity in your house. Even if both cars are charging at their max rates that's only 56 amps (I assume you have a Leaf with a 3.3 kW charger.)

As far as the Blink, you could probably fairly cheaply change out the cord so you can safely charge at the full 32 amps, or take apart the handle and inspect/solder the crimps to lower the risk. I'd just buy two flexible 40 amp cords from quickchargepower.com, use one to replace the Blink cord, and install the second on an openEVSE or Juicebox and install a 14-50 somewhere for it. Also if you're considering the Jesla you should know that it can't currently be set to charge at 32 amps - only 24 or 40 - so if you're planning to use it on the Blink's 40 amp circuit it's not going to give you any improvement over the derated Blink.

My wife and I both drive Rav EVs, and have not had a serious problem with just the one Aerovironment EVSE I got from the state. I don't usually need to charge every day - more like every 3 to 4 days - and my wife only needs a full charge to round trip to her job in San Jose 2 to 3 times a week. That said, I do have the Jesla as well, and use that when I go up to our house on the coast, where I had a 40A plug installed by the garage door. I like keeping it in the car knowing I can use it on any plug I run into anywhere. Today, both of us are up at the beach and we drove separately, so we'll be sharing it to get recharged to get home.

The reality is my house won't handle another circuit for another EVSE - Yes, it might be able to, but it's more work than it's worth for the few times it would really be necessary, so we just coordinate, and on a couple occasions we've plugged in and recharged during normal (not after midnight) hours. I've decided to put a 50A plug in at my warehouse, and on those occasions we both need a full charge, I'll use that with the Jesla - otherwise, it'll probably be powering a new air compressor I have my eyes on -

The last thing I'd say is to look into what public chargers are near you - We have a Whole Foods store about 5 blocks away, and I keep that in mind in case the grid at home goes down, the WF is on a separate section -

Back