Who still owns a RAV4 EV?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We still have our 2012, now has 120k miles on the odometer. My wife daily drives it. We still get the "take to dealer" message every few starts but we just turn off and on and it keeps on trucking (has done this for 30k miles since we got it).

We'll probably sell ours near the middle of 2024 when we combine down to a single vehicle (GX470) to tow behind our RV, but the RAV4 has been good to us!

Great looking Tesla badge. Both of our 2013s carry outdoor grade vinyl:

powered by tesla 01.jpg

powered by tesla 02.png

It's impressive how "invisible" these vehicles are to the general public. The EV badge on the rear door is subtle and the "electric" on the front doors are rather low to the eye. The contemporary crop of EVs tend to have fairly bulbous fronts, making them easy to pick out.

2014 vintage with 65000 miles on it. Still love it. Basically nothing has ever gone wrong with it, drives like it did when it was new, and it still has a good ~90 miles of range on a regular charge.

Just moved it from California to North Carolina, so fingers crossed that continues! Would love to get another ten years out of it.

Edit: after reading that other active feed about DC/DC converters failing, I remembered that we did have to replace the 12V battery once - but on a ten year old car I can’t really complain about that!

Last edited:
2014 vintage with 65000 miles on it. Still love it. Basically nothing has ever gone wrong with it, drives like it did when it was new, and it still has a good ~90 miles of range on a regular charge.

Just moved it from California to North Carolina, so fingers crossed that continues! Would love to get another ten years out of it.

Edit: after reading that other active feed about DC/DC converters failing, I remembered that we did have to replace the 12V battery once - but on a ten year old car I can’t really complain about that!

Welcome to NC! I'm over in Salisbury, if you ever do run into any issues.

Edit: after reading that other active feed about DC/DC converters failing . . .
AFAIK, the only reported and verified DC-DC Converter "failures" have been the Cabin Heater fuse inside it. Dealers won't open it to replace the fuse, so there are hundreds of DC-DC replacements documented, but no non-fuse-related failures verified (again, AFAIK), though it's possible that the car in that other thread may be a first exception.

Does someone know of a DC-DC failure that wasn't a fuse?

On the early Model S that uses an identical DC-DC, located where it's routinely exposed to water splash, the A/C compressor fuse also fails, and the KET connectors developed corrosion on the very early units. There's a Tesla TSB for that, which I can provide if anyone's interested. Doesn't affect RAV4 EVs, though, AFAIK.

Back