Wrong key fob...

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyyuan

Totally my bad for not checking...but 1.5 months into the ownership, I realized one of the key fob isn't working.

Change the battery and still nothing, took it into the dealership...and they told me the bad key was coded to another vehicle...and there is no way they can re-program it...
Do we know if that's true? the "metal" key on the FOBs looks identical as far as I can tell...not sure if the seller screwed me or the dealership just want me to pay for a new FOB...

thanks.

You can always try the physical key to see if it works in your door. I would try to contact the seller. It's always possible he made an honest mistake and has the correct fob. It's also possible the mixup was when the car was originally purchased, but it will be really hard to get anyone to admit that at this point.

I've also heard that locksmiths can sometimes do things with pairing fobs that the dealers can't or won't.

dyyuan said:
Totally my bad for not checking...but 1.5 months into the ownership, I realized one of the key fob isn't working.

Change the battery and still nothing, took it into the dealership...and they told me the bad key was coded to another vehicle...and there is no way they can re-program it...
Do we know if that's true? the "metal" key on the FOBs looks identical as far as I can tell...not sure if the seller screwed me or the dealership just want me to pay for a new FOB...

thanks.
This sounds ridiculous to me. When you buy a new key what do they do? They pair the key to the car, basically tell the car to accept this key. The exact same procedure can be done with your old key. I'm almost positive...

However, it does require a computer connected to the OBD port to program. Try a locksmith if the dealer won't do it. They do have these things.

Called around some locksmith...got all sorts of different answers...

First one: yes, we can! oh wait, says dealership programming only...sorry
Second one: yes, we can! come on down...$90...(when asked if they charge if they can't get it to work, the answer was a big YES).
Third one: oh no, those key can only be programmed once...sorry...

weird...still waiting on the fourth one to call me back...

Back