Your RAV4 EV vehicle's charging process was interrupted.

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sport Mode

I used to have sporadic (every couple of weeks) problems charging my RAV4 EV.

Since late January it has become a constant problem.

The main problem is the charging process is getting interrupted at night while using the Leviton 40A Level 2 charger.
I have not had any interruptions using the Level 1 charging cable.

Occasionally, charging never even starts.

I have not taken it to the dealer yet. I am waiting for my 5000 mile service which should
happen in March or April.

I kept a log over the past nine days which I have posted here.....

https://www.box.com/s/iy94ic6be9tnbf3i36kp

If anyone has any helpful ideas, comments or similar experiences I would love to hear about them.

Thanks.

Probably close to half of all the threads on this forum are about this or related problems with charging the RAV4 EV. IT IS A WELL KNOWN PROBLEM! What is frustrating is HOW LONG this problem has existed, and WAITING for Toyota to address the problem!

I have a couple questions for you:

1. Did whomever installed your Leviton charger, make sure to properly ground the unit, as well as insuring your ground goes all the way back to EARTH ground at the main power panel?

2. Are you making sure that your J1772 connection is fully mated in the RAV4 EV's charge port connector?

3. What is the 240VAC line voltage where you are charging the EV? (If it is fluctuating or dropping much below nominal line, this could be causing any number of problems with your charging station. This may occur if you live near any kind of industrial facility or a neighbor with big electric motors appliances - such as an A/C compressor - turning on and off while your EV is being charged.)

4. Is anything overheating in your charging station, output cable or J1772 connector?

5. Have you tripped any circuit breakers since installing and operating your charging station?

6. Is there any possibility of vandalism where and while your EV is charging? (Maliciously disrupting a charging operation is the EV owner's equivalent of being "KEYED".)

Here are some answers....

1. Did whomever installed your Leviton charger, make sure to properly ground the unit, as well as insuring your ground goes all the way back to EARTH ground at the main power panel?

I think so but I am not 100% sure.

2. Are you making sure that your J1772 connection is fully mated in the RAV4 EV's charge port connector?

Yes.

3. What is the 240VAC line voltage where you are charging the EV? (If it is fluctuating or dropping much below nominal line, this could be causing any number of problems with your charging station. This may occur if you live near any kind of industrial facility or a neighbor with big electric motors appliances - such as an A/C compressor - turning on and off while your EV is being charged.)

I don't know the line voltage.

4. Is anything overheating in your charging station, output cable or J1772 connector?

No.

5. Have you tripped any circuit breakers since installing and operating your charging station?

No.

6. Is there any possibility of vandalism where and while your EV is charging? (Maliciously disrupting a charging operation is the EV owner's equivalent of being "KEYED".)

No. It is inside a secure garage.

Back