$17,500 off by 1 Dec 2014, Production Ended August 2014

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to EVs !!!

For charging stations at 40 amps, there are two choices:

Clipper Creek CS-50 or CS-60, $1995

Leviton 40 amp from Home Depot, $1099

Obviously, both require install and a 50 amp breaker. Any 40 amp continuous charge can charge your Rav4 in 5 hours, or about 28 miles added per hour of charger. If you don't need or want to charge at full speed, there are tons of choices of 30 amp and below units.

The charging cable in your trunk is only 120 volts are 12 amps, which means about 3-4 miles per hour. You can have it modified for about $300 for 100-250 volt operation. My already modified unit is for sale for $490.

Rav4's Tesla charger is 40 amps. Therefore, the "10kW" charger with 40 amp service is:

Power -- Voltage -- at 88% efficiency into the battery

11kW ---- 277 ---- 9.7kW (the maximum voltage that the charger can accept)
10kW ---- 250 ---- 8.8kW (hey, it just happened to be 10kW)
9.6kW --- 240 ---- 8.4kW (typical residential power in North America)
9.2kW --- 230 ---- 8.1kW (typical voltage in the rest of the world)
8.3kW --- 208 ---- 7.3kW (typical voltage at a public charge station in North America)
8.0kW --- 200 ---- 7.0kW (typical voltage in Japan)

At a steady 65mph on level, no wind roadways without heater use, the car will get 3.4 miles per kWh economy, therefore public charging will likely provide 5.5kW into the battery for 18.7 miles per hour charging. At home, that will likely be 8.8kW for 28.5 miles per hour charging.

I get 2.7 miles per kWh economy around town, therefore 14.8 miles per hour of public charging, and 22.7 miles from home charging.

Miles Gained per Hour Charging
Amps/Volts -- Where ---- City Drive ----- 65mph

12 / 120 ------- Any ------ 2.8 miles ------- 3.5 miles (supplied cable with car)
12 / 240 ------ Home ----- 6.5 miles ------- 8.5 miles (www.EVSEupgrade.com)
16 / 208 ------ Public ----- 7.5 miles ------- 9.5 miles
16 / 240 ------ Home ----- 8.9 miles ------ 11.2 miles
20 / 208 ------ Public ----- 9.4 miles ------- 11.9 miles (rare combo)
20 / 240 ------ Home ---- 11.0 miles ------ 13.9 miles (Clipper Creek LCS-25)
30 / 208 ------ Public ---- 14.8 miles ----- 18.7 miles (virtually all public charge stations)
40 / 240 ------ Home ---- 22.7 miles ----- 28.5 miles (CC CS-50 or Leviton 40 amp)

thanks to all for inputs.

i've been trying to learn as much as possible.
i did read the thread on the schedule time to recharge feature that seems like it needs a software fix.
aside from that issue, is there any other issues that i need to know about?
i will continue to read as much as possible on this wonderful forum.

Is there any dealership still have inventory in NorCal?

Almost pulled the trigger last month, but with a new one just came... I got too busy to close the deal.

Depending on where you are in NorCal, Walnut Creek and Hayward both had several in inventory not long ago. You can also try the inventory search on the web.

dipper said:

Almost pulled the trigger last month, but with a new one just came... I got too busy to close the deal.

I'm also in the market to buy, so let me know if you want to coordinate a NorCal mini group buy. I've been getting quotes in the area, but haven't broken under $38,500 yet.

Have you had any better success?

EVMe said:
dipper said:

I'm also in the market to buy, so let me know if you want to coordinate a NorCal mini group buy. I've been getting quotes in the area, but haven't broken under $38,500 yet.

Have you had any better success?

Sunnyvale had like 6 of them and when they decided to sell for $38400 4 weeks ago, their inventory disappeared in 36 hours. Piercey decided not to sell less than $39900 to me, but they had willing people to buy at that price.

And Hayward, I had them to $38200 on a white, last one. I really wanted it, but my new boy had some issues and my attendent went to my boy. And it was gone a day after they gave me that quote. I think Walnut Creek might be the only one with 2 silver. But had not been seriously looking since.

Maybe we can team up when Toyota decide to do another promotional run on their non-movable 2013.

Thanks for the reply. I'm open to waiting on a '13. I'll check in with Walnut Creek to see if they are more aggressive since it is closer to month end tomorrow.

I decided to pounce on a 2012 to get the current promotion before the end of the month. It currently does not apply to 2013 vehicles. I'm guessing Toyota will not put any promotion on 2013s until ALL the 2012s are gone. That will probably take another month. So, you may have to wait until June to see a promotion on a 2013. We don't know how much it will be at that point. However, I think Toyota has painted themselves in a corner. Educated buyers that are not in a hurry to buy will probably sit on the sidelines until the promotion ratchets back up to nearly the current point.

dipper said:
Sunnyvale had like 6 of them and when they decided to sell for $38400 4 weeks ago, their inventory disappeared in 36 hours. Piercey decided not to sell less than $39900 to me, but they had willing people to buy at that price.

And Hayward, I had them to $38200 on a white, last one. I really wanted it, but my new boy had some issues and my attendent went to my boy. And it was gone a day after they gave me that quote.
Wow. I guess we know the sweet-spot for the price on this vehicle.

Price it right (or discount it enough) and they will come.

It really is too bad this is only a CA compliance car and highly likely that Toyota's losing $ on each unit, at these quantities. I wonder if they could ever breakeven w/greater quantities while buying the Tesla bits.

The Tesla bits may be costing the current price of the car.

Toyota paid Tesla 100M for their part of this project.

100M/2600 = 38,000.

So Toyota paid around 38,000 per car for the battery, charging system, motor, etc. The actual cost for the components is less but they also had to pay for the engineering and design. I'm sure the cost per car would come down if they made more.

Mike

mikegerard said:

100M/2600 = 38,000.

So Toyota paid around 38,000 per car for the battery, charging system, motor, etc. The actual cost for the components is less but they also had to pay for the engineering and design. I'm sure the cost per car would come down if they made more.

Mike

This is a frequent post. They aren't going to make more of a poor selling car, and they aren't going to make more of a money losing car.

It has exactly one purpose, and when 2600 are sold in 3 years, it's purpose will be over.

TonyWilliams said:
mikegerard said:

100M/2600 = 38,000.

Mike

This is a frequent post. They aren't going to make more of a poor selling car, and they aren't going to make more of a money losing car.

It has exactly one purpose, and when 2600 are sold in 3 years, it's purpose will be over.
How are they going to comply with the next phase of the ZEV madate? FCEV? I'll believe that when I see it.

miimura said:
TonyWilliams said:

How are they going to comply with the next phase of the ZEV madate? FCEV? I'll believe that when I see it.

I don't know, but Toyota is openly opposed to pure EV cars, but they loves them some hybrids and it sounds like the next round will be a fuel cell of some type. By using Tesla, that put absolutely nothing into their institutional memory about electrics cars other than writing a $100 million check.

They could do another EV in house, too. They'll no doubt see how well LEAF is doing, and want to offer that size car. I have no idea what current Toyota car is that size.

TonyWilliams said:
I don't know, but Toyota is openly opposed to pure EV cars, but they loves them some hybrids and it sounds like the next round will be a fuel cell of some type. By using Tesla, that put absolutely nothing into their institutional memory about electrics cars other than writing a $100 million check.

They could do another EV in house, too. They'll no doubt see how well LEAF is doing, and want to offer that size car. I have no idea what current Toyota car is that size.
Yep, Toyota openly loves hybrids. They've sold more than 5 million of them (http://www.toyota-global.com/innovation/environmental_technology/hv5m/).

Most of the major automakers having been playing around w/FCVs, right or wrong.

At http://www.altcarexpo.com/exhibitor_vehicles.html (this list is slightly wrong) last year, I did get to drive FCVs from Toyota, Nissan (was on loan I believe from Coca-Cola), Kia/Hyundai (forget which) and Honda. I've briefly driven a GM FCV at the Detroit Auto Show in 09. I hear that Toyota has a test fleet of FCVs.

As for what Toyota is the size of the Leaf, to me, the Prius comes closest.

We signed all the papers to purchase our RAV4EV, but the car has not been delivered yet. Does anyone know if there is an issue with the Toyota incentives if we receive the car after today (4/30)?

Thanks in advanced.

Douglas

SneakyFast1 said:
We signed all the papers to purchase our RAV4EV, but the car has not been delivered yet. Does anyone know if there is an issue with the Toyota incentives if we receive the car after today (4/30)?

Thanks in advanced.

Douglas

If you already purchased the car, you already have the answer. What price did you pay? Delivery date has nothing to do with it.

Tony,

Thanks. I thought as much, but wanted to be sure.

We got the car for $48,188 ($38,888 after the $9,300 finance cash) at Stevens Creek Toyota. They matched Fremont Toyota's price.

Douglas

The dealerships will be closing soon, and this offer sunsets tonight:

http://www.buyatoyota.com/Specials/SpecialOffers.aspx

Until April 30, 2013:

Applies to 2012 model year RAV4 EV only. The only differences in 2013 model year is a higher window sticker price, and the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) has a "D" the replaces the "C" in the 8th digit from the right. You will find the VIN through the front window, looking from the outside on the driver's side, at the bottom.

I do not expect that there will be any 2012 model year cars available after April 30, 2013.

0.0% APR for 60 months

PLUS $10,000 SoCal / $9300 NorCal Finance Cash (they call it "subvention", so you still pay sales tax on it in California... your jurisdiction may vary)

Includes Toyota Care, Free maintenance for 2 years.

$2000 - $4000 typical dealers discounts (the dealers are getting 2% "holdback", and the salesperson gets $1000 from Toyota USA and the sales manager get $500... don't worry about hammering them on a good deal)

$7500 federal tax credit purchase ONLY !!! (NOTE: Toyota does not pass this credit to you on a lease - CAVEAT EMPTOR). You get this when you file IRS form 8936 with your federal taxes. No carryovers to the following tax year, so you need to owe the IRS at least $7500 this year.

$2500 California state credit for lease or purchase; Apply here. Obviously, out-of-state buyers don't get this, but instead you will get your state or local government incentives.

Sales tax - on an "in-state" purchase, you pay the applicable tax for your county/city. For an in state lease, you pay a "use tax" on the monthly payment. For out-of-state, you pay nothing to California with a proper Bill of Laden from a shipping company. DO NOT TAKE DELIVERY IN CALIFORNIA unless you want to pay our taxes!!! You will pay applicable taxes in your out-of-state jurisdiction. There's a whole thread devoted to out-of-state purchases and leases.

Tony

Great information , thanks !

I hope that Toyota will continue their discount through May. I drive a Prius Plug In which was hit while parked :( Its in a body shop now. I have rental coverage so I chose a Rav4 EV and its fantastic. If things go well I might be a new Rav4 owner soon.

Back