Back up beeping

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddR

Does anyone know how to make the reverse beeping stop? At this point either a secret SW setting or knowing which wire to clip would suffice.

Given that the beep is only audible INSIDE the car, I hope Toyota 1) has an easily explainable, user executable process for this, and 2) shares it :).

Only the dealership can turn off the interior reverse beeping. The dealer can also turn off the incessant beeping when you drive without your seatbelt on (not that I recommend driving that way) and change the timing to zero on your headlights turning off after powering down the car. I don't remember, but I think the dealership may also be able to disable or otherwise configure the automatic door locking. I took mine in a couple of months ago...see http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56

I bought my car from Keyes Toyota in Van Nuys, they claimed it could not be done. I even showed the service associate and his manager the blog post mentioned in the earlier thread, but to no avail.

Keyes Toyota are wrong. I bought my Rav at Carson Toyota and requested the backup beep change before they shipped my vehicle up here to Washington state. It was done as requested.

Take your car to Hamer Toyota for service instead of Keyes since it has a much better EV service department. Hamer's head tech took all the advanced courses to be fluent with the Rav4 EV's technology and customization. He removed the constant reverse beep, fixed the timing on my headlights, and removed the seatbelt warning beeps for me.

Wondries Toyota in LA disabled the back up beeping and programmed all doors to unlock when I touch the door at the dealership before it was shipped out to Texas. It sounds like your dealership just didn't investigate very hard.

Sanity restored! Toyota of Palo Alto changed it to a single beep. It was interesting that they've never done it before and weren't sure how. I told them it was the same the Prius and they apparently had no problems doing it. I consider the noise maker inside a safety hazard, I find it so distracting.

They did warn me that if there were software updates they were required to install them so that might delay things (apparently there were no required). They also check the tire pressure any time they check in a vehicle. They noticed that I had inflated the tires to 40 psi and told me the book value but they would leave them alone.

arnold

I got mine from Carson Toyota and they wouldn't disable the beep for "liability concerns." Since the incessant beeping only makes me reverse that much quicker to stop the noise the exact opposite should be true. I'll have to find a different local dealer for my next service who is a little more customer focused.

It is one of the listed options of settings that can be changed at the service center in the manual. No reason why they shouldn't be able to. Some moron probably tried to sue them because he went full speed in reverse on EV mode at zero torque thinking he was going forward and wound up crashing into something and claimed that since Toyota switched off the sound, he forgot he was still in reverse and they are liable for his crash. It's just a dumb solution in the first place, especially when you have that noise + the no seatbelt sound both going off at different pitches.

TonyWilliams said:
the2bobs said:
I got mine from Carson Toyota and they wouldn't disable the beep for "liability concerns."

Ask them if the idiotic interior beeping noise is in all the Toyota cars... for "liability".
It's all in Prius liftbacks (at least from 04+ model year), PiPs and Prius v wagons. I don't recall about the Prius c and am not sure about the rest of all the Toyota/Lexus hybrids. I recall it's in the Lexus CT and defunct HS.

It might depend on whether the vehicle has a non-traditional self-centering joystick shift lever.

Toyota has sold over 5 million hybrids, since inception.

Some dealers are willing to change the continual beeping to a single beep on Priuses. My friend had that done on her '11 Prius.

the2bobs said:
I got mine from Carson Toyota and they wouldn't disable the beep for "liability concerns." Since the incessant beeping only makes me reverse that much quicker to stop the noise the exact opposite should be true. I'll have to find a different local dealer for my next service who is a little more customer focused.

Bummer, I was planning on getting my car serviced there and have them change the beeping at the same time. I guess I will give them a call before a schedule an appointment and let them know if they want my business they are going to need to disable the beeping.

I consider the beeping a safety hazard for me. I find it distracting. The sales person originally mumbled about liability which delayed me from getting the change done on the day I bought the car. But it was clear once I had the car home that if it wasn't changeable I was going to do it the "hard" way.

arnold

arnolddeleon said:
I consider the beeping a safety hazard for me. I find it distracting. The sales person originally mumbled about liability which delayed me from getting the change done on the day I bought the car. But it was clear once I had the car home that if it wasn't changeable I was going to do it the "hard" way.

arnold

Honestly, I would pull that speaker out (assuming there is a speaker) and put it externally in the rear of the car.

yblaser said:
Bummer, I was planning on getting my car serviced there and have them change the beeping at the same time. I guess I will give them a call before a schedule an appointment and let them know if they want my business they are going to need to disable the beeping.
There's no cost for regular 5,000-mile servicing of the Rav4 EV for the first three years (unless you need to replace tires or brakes).

Back