Does anyone use the pre-climate during a charge?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary2020

I read the manual on this but anyone actually use this feature?
I don't need the car to be comfy cozy when i get in.

But does it help the car charge more efficiently in some way?
or is it strictly a creature comfort thing?
it's summer here in san francisco bay area so nights are maybe mid 50's when i charge at midnight.

just seeing what others are doing...

We never use it at home, but out and about at public L2 chargers in the Sacramento 110 degree heat, it definitely helps!

Assuming it is like my other EV, the pre-climate gets the car to temperature using the mains rather than the battery. In extreme temps, you could save a bit of battery by doing this.

I think the purpose of pre-climate during charge is to use electrical energy from the plugged in source to get the car to the desired temperature while the car is still plugged in. However, the car also supports remote climate and I've used this several times already when the car is parked and not plugged in to get it comfortable before I get to the car. I don't mind sacrificing a few miles of range for instant comfort.

I've only played with it a couple times but when i charge in the middle of the trip to my house in the mountains, i will often trigger remote climate when i'm paying the bill at the restaurant so by the time i walk to the car, its not a zillion degrees inside.

It'll disengage after some # of minutes (15?) and it disengages the moment you open the door. (so you have to actually turn the car on and set normal climate).

Unlike others, I use it daily set for my departure time from work. It does exactly as it should, and effectively "works off the mains" when plugged in - but with sufficient (believe I read more than fifty percent?) charge level will work independently even if charging isn't possible.
Only two add-ons? A good windshield heat shield, and the rear cargo cover.

Pete / Naples, FL

Khaihon said:
I picked up a used 2006-2012 RAV4 Cargo cover off of eBay for $40. Fits perfectly!

Not sure why this post is in this thread... but I'll bite :). Me... I bought a painter's tarp for those rare occasions I need such protection... and normally store the tarp in the storage area beneath.

Back