Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Solution to avoid range anxiety - Carry a generator
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:51 am 

Tow the Volt behind the Rav and use its generator to charge up your Rav. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:39 am 

Use www.PlugShare.com

Find a place to charge.

Keep driving... or just take the Volt.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:47 pm 
Site Moderator

TonyWilliams wrote:
Use http://www.PlugShare.com

Find a place to charge.

Keep driving... or just take the Volt.

+1000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:59 pm 
Site Moderator

Here is a demo of someone doing this on his Tesla Model S. It certainly would be nice to have the flexibility to set the power level of the generator's output from the car's center console. On the other hand, the RAV4 is quite possible the ONLY EV currently available with enough room in the cargo area to easily haul one of these things around in the car itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_psP-XrGO9U

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:40 pm 

You would get ~ 15 mpg based on the specs for that generator.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:21 am 

yblaser wrote:
You would get ~ 15 mpg based on the specs for that generator.

Lot less hassle to just take my old F150.
Generator is not a solution.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:48 pm 

Coming into this abit late.. but when we go out to the desert to test and fly our "stuff".. I've been taking the Rav more and more, so the solution was pretty clear. I was already carrying a 2000i for charging my flight LiPo's... and it's about 85miles 1 way to the dry lake.. and we stay the whole weekend..

So I just put on the new hitch (thanks Tony, Philip, etc for the thread and pics) and I already had a cargo mount.. The 3000i works great with a OpenEVSE. Customized the FW to have tons of selectable ampacity on L1 from 6 to 24a (for a MS)..

Works great.. and I made a gen-box so it's dead quiet.. lift it off, move it 20ft away, and it you don't hear NOTHING. It'll charge the Rav, and anything else I need for the weekend..

Added an ext runtime tank as well... built it into the box..

2014 Rav4 "SuperRav" JdeMO.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:44 pm 
Site Moderator

Does your Honda generator only permit charging at Level 1 amperages? What is its continuous output rating? Most of the gens up to 3000W ratings only have 120V outlets built-in, so you can only do L1 charging. Of course, I guess that's fine if you have all weekend to recharge. But, if your going to drive the RAV4 around during the day, I would want it to be fully recharged while sleeping each night. The minimum gen capacity I would consider would be 3500W continuous and most have 240V outlets (L14-30R).

At this power level, you can charge using a L2 EVSE at 240V, or at a battery energy replenishment rate of about 3kWh allowing for charger eff. In 10 hours, an RAV4 EV would be almost back to a full "normal" charge with a range of about 90 miles (assuming a driving efficiency of at least 3 miles per kWh). Of course, the generator's gas tank (assuming a capacity of 4 gals) would need to be refilled about once every 4 hours, so carrying a 5 gal gas container with you and filling up just before you reach your destination might be necessary if gas station are few and far between.

The only tradeoffs with a generator capable of supporting L2 EVSE charging are the added noise and weight, but using to recharge each night, if necessary, should keep out of town trip range anxiety to a minimum.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:34 pm 

No, none of the inverter style gens will have 240v output unless you really start getting into the 5-6kw output or higher. Yamaha or Honda.. cheap knockoffs that are junk squarewave or modified output that just use a generator head can do 240 on a 3000w unit but those things are..

1.Junk
2. Loud
3.burn through TONS of gas
4. cannot run anything electronic really on them.. Try any apple product and see :lol:

My 3000i in eco mode will charge the Rav in 14-18 hrs no problem with how I have it dialed in.. depending on state of charge, and ampacity I set the EVSE at. It'll put out 2600w continuous or 3000 for 30min...

But I'm a firm believer in running things for the long haul at less load, then FULL BOAR and burn it out.. Remember, ANY INVERTER gen set has a both coil packs and a transistor pack (module) and you see people ALL THE TIME on the RV forums burning them out because they run them at or near full load 100% of the time..

Doesn't matter if it's a Honda, Yamaha(great units!), Onan, etc,etc..

But this unit purrrs putting out 1600-2000w all day.. all night.

EDIT.. and to answer.. yes. It's a L5-30 plug.. L1 charging and it takes me 4-7gal of fuel to power my ENTIRE weekend of fun.. charge the Rav, my flight packs, etc.. not to shabby..

2014 Rav4 "SuperRav" JdeMO.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:50 pm 
Site Moderator

I share your concern about a generator's output sine wave distortion, but I think the EVSEs, by and large, will not be that sensitive to those "other kind" of generators. Most EVSEs have their own internal power supply for the "electronics" control circuits, so unless the AC input is really bad (>10% THD), I don't think there will be any issues. For charging a cell phone or laptop, or watching a portable TV, I would use the DC cigarette outlet(s), or the USB port in the RAV4, with a DC to AC inverter module if necessary, so no problems there.

There can be no debate about the added weight and noise as being the real issues with these "other types" of generators. They weigh at least 130 pounds even without any gas in the tank. And the noise they make is generally over 72dB. In a "public" place that much noise can be a really disturbing annoyance. However, you have to stay within ear-shot of the generator to hear it running in case it suddenly shuts off (potential theft situation) or it runs out of gas. However, its use is only for "emergencies", so you might not even need it on a trip if there are public L2 EVSEs along the route or at your destination. It's nice to have along in the back of a RAV4 EV just in case your stuck somewhere out in the middle of nowhere. :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next