$17,500 off by 1 Dec 2014, Production Ended August 2014

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not that $2500 isn't substantial, it is. But the car is still well worth it. Considering they dropped the price from $599 to $299/month it is still a very good deal at the current price point. Also, you may consider that some people base their decisions not only on price but other factors such as service as well.

rav4buyer said:
It's not that $2500 isn't substantial, it is. But the car is still well worth it. Considering they dropped the price from $599 to $299/month it is still a very good deal at the current price point. Also, you may consider that some people base their decisions not only on price but other factors such as service as well.

Do you think it is logical to try and save $200 and buy a car from a dealer 300-400 miles away, and not see the car before buying it? And then say it is illogical to not want to spend $2500 more for the same car 3 weeks ago. People keep talking about other reasons other than price, but just on this forum alone, there are a number of people who were trying to save an additional $200-$300 over 3 yrs. That is in total over 3 yrs. How come no one calls out those buyers? Is it because they did make the purchase, but those of us who think $2500 extra dollars is too much are highly criticized as being greedy.

Where are you getting this $200-$300 figure from? In my case, the difference was much higher than that which is why I had it shipped. I wouldn't have done it for $200-$300 savings. I think $2500 is substantial but it's still good value at the current price point. Next time perhaps you should heed the advice of some of the more seasoned EV owners here regarding the pricing.

As a consumer, buying sooner, rather than later, gets me that $2500 bucks back in to my pocket AND gets me into the HOV lanes sooner ... and for me, it's the only way to buy TIME ... that's personal incentive.

As for the 2014, well, this car arrived only last fall as a 2012 and jumped to 2013 model for barely half a year till it's now a 2014. I believe that many more have sold than YOU all think. Some cars don't get titled or registered. Municipalities don't pay DMV fees so you have no idea who's running around in these in cities and governments and also, cars that are shipped to other states don't factor into your count.

Within a tad over a year, we've got two model years down, and just one to go. There really aren't that many cars left to sell for 2013. There are only 68 left in all of CALIF and of those, only 44 are on-ground. 24 are still at the plant, ready to be put in transit but as yet unshipped.

As of tonight, Oct 19th, 2013:
There are only 12 on-ground right now in Southern CA and 4 are mine here.
There are 10 coming to SoCal in the next few weeks and 4 more are mine here.
There are more than double that number up in various areas of Northern CA but I just don't get it - some of those cars have been sitting a long, long time. :?

At this point, with the 2014's already starting to arrive, till 2013's are history, I wouldn't expect a 2014 incentive. At some point, there might be one but certainly not for quite a while. It's not like it's a different car. Or, that there are cars sitting. IN all of SoCal, there are exactly 3 2014's and one's here. :D

Dianne said:
... I believe that many more have sold than YOU all think. Some cars don't get titled or registered.

This data is actually from Toyota, not DMV:

2600 total to be sold in model years 2012 - 2014 to comply with California Air Resources Board - Zero Emissions Vehicle (CARB-ZEV) mandates:

On sale: September 24, 2012

Sep 2012 - 61 ........... 61
Oct 2012 - 47 ........... 108
Nov 2012 - 32 ........... 140
Dec 2012 - 52 ........... 192
Jan 2013 - 25 ............ 217
Feb 2013 - 52 ............ 269
Mar 2013 - 133 .......... 402
Apr 2013 - 70 ............ 472
May 2013 - 84 ............ 556
Jun 2013 - 44 ............ 600
July 2013 - 109 ......... 709
Aug 2013 - 231 ......... 940 (at this rate, 2600 will be complete 1st week April 2014)
Sep 2013 - 167 ........ 1007 (at this rate, 2600 will be complete 3rd week June 2014)
Oct 2013 - ............
Nov 2013 - ............
Dec 2013 - ............
Jan 2014 - ............
Feb 2014 - ............
Mar 2014 - ..........
Apr 2014 - ............ (from Aug 31, 2013 guess, sold out by first week of April 2014)
May 2014 - ............
Jun 2014 - ............ (from Sep 30, 2013 guess, sold out by 3rd week of June 2014)
July 2014 - .........
Aug 2014 - ............
Sep 2014 - ............
Oct 2014 - ............
Nov 2014 - ............
Dec 2014 - ............

rav4buyer said:
Where are you getting this $200-$300 figure from? In my case, the difference was much higher than that which is why I had it shipped. I wouldn't have done it for $200-$300 savings. I think $2500 is substantial but it's still good value at the current price point. Next time perhaps you should heed the advice of some of the more seasoned EV owners here regarding the pricing.

It's your money. Buy it if you can, don't buy if you can't. You don't have to justify your purchase. It's a gamble when you play with incentives. You win some and you lose some. If you think you can win, great. My wife's boss was going to buy one last month, ended up missing out on an additional $1500 bucks. Too bad.

rav4buyer said:

The numbers that I see are about $10-15 less/month. minus the shipping fee, puts people in the $200-$300 range. Can you tell me what you paid versus how much you think it would've cost in northern california?

The increase from Sep to Oct is about 20% (Sept was about $12k after the CVRP rebates for 3 yr lease, now it is +$2.5k for Oct), so when you are in the middle of making a purchase decision and the price jumps 20% then it is natural to think again.

This will surely bring those sales figures down for Oct, so better deals will come back in order to meet required sales levels. So I would advocate against buying in Oct as the price will likely be back to Sep levels next month.

Anyone sat on the fence then I would encourage to hold off on buying this car, it will be cheaper later for all of us if you do.

According to Dianne there are 68 2013 model cars left in California. Let's say 18 sell the rest of the month. That would leave 50 left. In September they sold 167 at the lowest promotional price.

With only 50 at end of October, why would they need to discount further, they can move the last 50 at the current price (or higher).

When the 2014s come in at max price and the dealer says you can can choose to pay $13K less for the exact same car, I'm pretty sure they will blow out of 2013s fairly quick.

rav4buyer said:
According to Dianne there are 68 2013 model cars left in California. Let's say 18 sell the rest of the month. That would leave 50 left. In September they sold 167 at the lowest promotional price.

With only 50 at end of October, why would they need to discount further, they can move the last 50 at the current price (or higher).

When the 2014s come in at max price and the dealer says you can can choose to pay $13K less for the exact same car, I'm pretty sure they will blow out of 2013s fairly quick.

I think with this car everyone knows that there is zero difference between the 2013 and 2014. Therefore we can expect to see the same deal on the 2014 as soon as they are out and there are no 2013s left, otherwise they won't sell any. I think the sales demand would be pretty close to zero at $600 per month lease and so Toyota runs into quota problems.

My view was that I liked the car in a test drive, still a bit worried about range, was coming round to the idea of occasional rental for long trip and then a 20% price increase comes along and changes my mind. I have a lease expire in Nov so I'll wait and see, if there is no good deal then I'll go with a small ICE SUV instead.

rav4buyer said:

That's the best thing about this whole "debate", we will know the answer in about 2 weeks. The thing that makes me feel better about my bet is the numbers that Dianne posted earlier. If she sold 48 cars last month out of 167, that is almost 29%. Earlier, she posted that she had 17 cars at the beginning of the month, and now she has 6 left, so that means she is selling about 4 cars pers week, and we only have a little more than a week left in the month. If she sells 16-17 vehicles, and it is 29% of the total, the month of October is going to look weak, about 60 cars.

It could come in at 60, but they still wouldn't need to discount given the low supply of the 2013s. There's only 68 left, by end of November they're all gone.

Dianne said:
You cannot buy the car BEFORE the chargers are available.
You have to buy the car on the day they are available or afterwards, thru till they run out that month.

This past month, that charger would have cost you a bundle extra a month vs. the old rates and residuals...
Braxus said:
Even though they're not available now, I got the impression that a couple of people have successfully been able to get the free chargers (ahem... EVSE) by having their dealership apply when they become available.
FWIW, my Leaf dealer claimed essentially what's at http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/cec/how_to_apply is wrong and that Nissan corporate is upset about it screwing up their sales and wanted it changed. See http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6872#p6872. Sure enough, even though the count was 0 on the day I leased, I did get approved (albeit VERY slowly).

In the end, the deal fell thru for me due to http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8264#p8264, not due to the paperwork and there being 0 "chargers" (EVSEs being the correct term for these units) at time of lease.

My dealer here in San Diego just told me that the last two RAV4 lease agreements he set up are now 100 dollars more expensive. somewhere around 690 per month. Can anyone else confirm this is true at other dealers? I am waiting for a RAV4 to lease, but am worried that this is a bait and switch scheme.

thanks,

is that $690 a month out the door? That seems excessively high. The current promotion is supposed to last through November 4th. I wonder if the dealer is so low on supply that they don't want to part with it. You should give Dianne at Carson Toyota a call. She will give you a highly competitive price at the current promotion.

Don't want to part with it? At $690 a month, they are either making a clear statement that they want well over MSRP sticker... or it's going to become a planter on their front lawn by next year! :lol:

BTW: people are REALLY paying these kinds of payments. I get emails frequently from folks who see my posted deals here too late for me to have helped. :cry:

BTW: It's CARSON Toyota. I corrected the text below in the replied to part... it's not Carlson - Carson. As in Carson, CA!

rav4buyer said:
is that $690 a month out the door? That seems excessively high. The current promotion is supposed to last through November 4th. I wonder if the dealer is so low on supply that they don't want to part with it. You should give Dianne at Carson Toyota a call. She will give you a highly competitive price at the current promotion.

It could be MUCH worse . . . my payments are $767/mo.when I "purchased" my RAV4 EV last November and that was after a $12.5K trade-in credit. At that time there were NO DEALER INCENTIVES! Of course, fortunately,there were the Federal Tax credit, CA rebate and HOV stickers, but those incentives could not be applied toward purchase, thus raising the amount to be financed appreciably. At that time, TFS didn't even offer 0% APR financing to highly credit worthy customers. They had 0% on non-EV RAV4 only purchases, but only 1.9 on the EV, even though the latter is technically part of the same basic model line. That, to me, was the ultimate insult! A month later (December 2013) Toyota started heavily discounting off MSRP in earnest, which kept on going month after month, eventually dropping the selling price by at least $10k by last Spring.

Back then, and little did I know as the first customer at my local dealer to buy a RAV4 EV, it sure seemed like a great car that was going to sell very well, even if only in CA.

Talk about "buyer's remorse"! :cry:

rav4buyer said:

Indeed, that's exactly what i did and i am heading up there to pick it up today!

Back