$17,500 off by 1 Dec 2014, Production Ended August 2014

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
krispy said:
So at that rate the sale of 2600 vehicles runs well into 2016 so we can expect some better deals in the future. If anyone at Toyota reads this, I'll lease one if the September pricing comes back, otherwise it will be too late.

I got lucky and leased mine just in time to get the awesome lease (474/month, including tax, unlimited mileage, zero out of pocket). I agree with you that they have no chance of hitting the 2600 goal unless they sweeten the deal again. Why not go the route of Nissan and Chevy and just lower the MSRP? With the true cost to make the RAV much higher than the sticker price, it's just an artificial number anyway. If they don't do that, then the awesome lease better be offered now, or they'll have to make it even better next year to unload what they need.

bruin nut said:
krispy said:
So at that rate the sale of 2600 vehicles runs well into 2016 so we can expect some better deals in the future. If anyone at Toyota reads this, I'll lease one if the September pricing comes back, otherwise it will be too late.

I got lucky and leased mine just in time to get the awesome lease (474/month, including tax, unlimited mileage, zero out of pocket). I agree with you that they have no chance of hitting the 2600 goal unless they sweeten the deal again. Why not go the route of Nissan and Chevy and just lower the MSRP? With the true cost to make the RAV much higher than the sticker price, it's just an artificial number anyway. If they don't do that, then the awesome lease better be offered now, or they'll have to make it even better next year to unload what they need.

It doesnt help that gas prices are pretty low considering the last couple of years. If/when they shoot up again it wont be no problem to move these along. At least thats what I normally observe.

eugenepan said:
rav4buyer said:

So, I guess I win the informal pool. Although I had a big range of 50-100, and I thought it would be closer to 50 than 100, but still within my range. I agree with others. If they don't lower the price, the number of cars sold will continue to drop. At Costco on Coleman Ave in San Jose, regular gas was down to $3.37/gallon. I was surprised it was that low. Even premium was only $3.57/gallon. So, that will put additional pressure on the negative sentiment towards EV's. The next few months will definitely be interesting with more new players entering the fray. I am sure many people will want to buy the i3 just because it is a BMW, and unless the market grows, they will just be stealing sales from some other EV model.

Gas station? What's that? :lol:
The smart thing for Toyota to do would be to spend some marketing dollars on this thing. The unlimited lease at the current price is clearly better value than other EVs it's just that nobody knows about it.

rav4buyer said:
The smart thing for Toyota to do would be to spend some marketing dollars on this thing. The unlimited lease at the current price is clearly better value than other EVs it's just that nobody knows about it.
Unlimited mileage lease is not that helpful for those who don't need it. My commute is only ~12 miles each way.

I did consider the Rav4 EV briefly before leasing a Leaf and possibly ditching my Prius. But, alas, the Rav4 EV was expensive vs. my Leaf lease, has WAY more range than I needed most of the time, its reliability seemed sketchy (unusual for a Toyota), and there was no CHAdeMO support. If it had a CHAdeMO port, I'd have been more inclined... but if I had to bring a Toyota to a Nissan dealer's CHAdeMO QC...

Still have the Prius and I can safely say the '11 and '12 Leafs seem WAY more reliable than the Rav4 EV. Some '13s (built in Smryna, TN, redesigned motor and quite a bit of the electronics) have problems, but it doesn't seem like it's nearly as bad as the Rav4 EV.

CroisX said:
When does the new deal come out?

They are not always on time with the Rav4 EV, but it should be Tuesday, Nov 5, 2013.

Here's a new deal:

$500 Military Rebate on a New Toyota RAV4EV
, Offer Ends 1/6/2014

When it comes to supporting our troops, everyone wants to do their part. At Toyota, that means offering all eligible U.S. military personnel a $500 rebate toward any new Toyota vehicle when you finance through your Toyota dealer and Toyota Financial Services*
To qualify for the rebate, you must meet these conditions at the time of purchase: -Be in current active duty status in the U.S. Military (Navy, Army, Air Force, Marines, National Guard, Coast Guard and active Reserve) OR a U.S. Military inactive reserve (i.e., Ready Reserve) that is part of the individual Ready Reserve, Selected Reserve and Inactive National Guard. Retired Military Personnel are not eligible. -Provide verifiable proof of military status or active service at the time of purchase: -Leave and Earning Statement or Military Identification Card (Photo copy of Military Identification Card is NOT required.) -Receive a salary sufficient to cover ordinary living expenses and payments for your Toyota -Receive credit approval through a Toyota dealer and Toyota Financial Services
Every new Toyota includes ToyotaCare No cost maintenance plan with roadside assistance

ground_gainer said:
Yeah that military rebate is great... as long as you never get stationed out of California!
I really don't get the mentality at Toyota. They make out of state buyers sign a form stating that only select California dealer can warranty the vehicle. Then they turn around and offer a discount to the armed forces, which in turn is a group of customers that are the most likely to relocate out of state. This has lawsuit written all over it, as Toyota cannot discriminate buyers by offering service out of state to armed force personnel(which this new offer pretty much guarantees), but not other buyers. I didn't know that Toyota had such an ignorant, and very stupid law department.

The $500 military rebate is for ANY new Toyota vehicle, not just the RAV4 EV. The out-of-state restriction applies to ALL RAV4 EVs, not just ones purchased by members of the military.

When it comes to supporting our troops, everyone wants to do their part. At Toyota, that means offering all eligible U.S. military personnel a $500 rebate toward any new Toyota vehicle when you finance through your Toyota dealer and Toyota Financial Services.

This is the information that I received from two different dealers:

The new Incentives are out. There is a continuing $14,000 Rebate on the lease or 0% for 60 months on a purchase. Thre are no other Incentives on a 2013 model. On the new 2014 models, there is $5,800.00 on a lease and 0% for 60 months available on a purchase.

for the 2014s, do they still get the $7500 tax credit with the lease? or you can claim it now?

tim said:

The new Incentives are out. There is a continuing $14,000 Rebate on the lease or 0% for 60 months on a purchase. Thre are no other Incentives on a 2013 model. On the new 2014 models, there is $5,800.00 on a lease and 0% for 60 months available on a purchase.

yedrav4 said:
for the 2014s, do they still get the $7500 tax credit with the lease? or you can claim it now?

tim said:

The owner always gets the tax credit. If you lease, it's the leasing company - in this case, Toyota Financial Services. I've always thought it was lame that TFS did not roll the tax credit into the lease. On the 2014's they are not giving you any incentive and are keeping $1,700 of the tax credit for themselves. If you were to use their 0% financing at least you would be able to claim the whole $7,500 tax credit on your own tax return. Clearly they are only interested in moving the 2013's at this point.

You should really check with your accountant regarding tax issues.
I have a tax guy who's said that this tax credit is a credit against taxes owed. If I don't owe, it's senseless to expect that tax credit, and to just lease to get it (or most of it). I have also heard from others who don't read the tax code that way.
But, everyone should always check with their own tax professional who's gotta handle their taxes and the aftermath/result of the returns.

And at some point the incentives might go higher, but remember, they have all calendar year 2014 + these next few months in 2013 to worry about selling the EVs for 2014 now. I don't think we'll see incentives like we did this last summer, which is why I got my 2013 when I did and didn't wait for the 2014... that and was concerned I'd miss out on blue & was adding more and more miles to my PHEV, but at some point it may happen that they either raise the incentive to match the tax credit for lessees, or they raise the residual as they monitor the market for what's new that might compete with this car used later, or what's used that could compete also. Lots of factors go into the determination of residuals.

It's all about the payment really. Dropping the payment vs. adding lease subvention cash from their coffers... it won't matter what their method is as long as the payment's reasonable. I find the sweet spot for my buyers on unlimited mileage was $450-500 with no added cash needed. A little extra subvention cash + a higher residual would bring us pretty close to that point.

Dianne

Dianne said:
I have a tax guy who's said that this tax credit is a credit against taxes owed. If I don't owe, it's senseless to expect that tax credit, and to just lease to get it (or most of it). I have also heard from others who don't read the tax code that way.
But, everyone should always check with their own tax professional who's gotta handle their taxes and the aftermath/result of the returns...
Dianne

Yes, you must have paid the taxes to get the credit. There is no "carryover".

See IRS Form 8936

TonyWilliams said:
Dianne said:
But, everyone should always check with their own tax professional who's gotta handle their taxes and the aftermath/result of the returns...
Dianne

Yes, you must have paid the taxes to get the credit. There is no "carryover".

See IRS Form 8936

There may be exceptions for businesses. No carryover applies to individuals.

Here is the deal that I received at Roseville Toyota (Sacramento area) on 11/11/13.

Blizzard Pearl, Manufacture Date: 9/13 (i selected the newest model they had on the lot from selection of 5 cars)
12k miles / year. 3 years. (i don't need unlimited mileage with an EV that does not have a quickcharge port as an option. I won't be driving this car to L.A. even if Level 3 chargers someday line I-5.)

msrp: 49800
blizzard pearl: 395
floor mats: 225
total starting price: 51280

negotiated price: 48586 (discount: 2694)
acquisition fee on a lease: 650
gross capitalized cost: 49236
rebate: -14000 [by feds 7500; by toyota: 6500]

residual value: 20418
rent charge: $18.36 (money factor: .00001, the lowest possible: don't allow any dealer to play games with your money factor. insist on the lowest up front in your negotiation, assuming your FICO auto score is strong.)

fees:
dmv $395
doc $80
tire fee: $7 (there is no spare tire so you save for the 5th tire)
dmv electronic filing: $15
upfront tax on fees: $6
(i declined the "tracker" fee at $189.)
disposition fee at end of lease if you turn in the car: $350

i voluntarily put down $7000 (fully aware of the risks) but i have a good insurance company AMICA and the gap insurance from them cost me $44 per year; check with your own company before you spend $900 on Toyota's gap coverage). [your annual insurance costs will be high since the msrp is over $50,000; much less on a Leaf.]

My monthly payment: $300 even. [my sales tax rate is only 7.5%]

For charging: my Aeroenvironment charger for my Leaf in my garage works with the Rav4. However, I also bought a Level 2 Clipper Creek LCS25 with a dryer plug and will install dryer receptacles at all the locations i visit regularly. this cord is portable and delivers 20 amps on a 30 amp circuit and is reputed to charge an empty Rav4 EV in 9 hours. Clipper Creek cost: $549 plus tax.

Warning: the Rav4 EV does not come with a "Trunk Shade" / Cargo Cover available on ebay for around $70. or ask the dealer to throw one in. the ones installed in regular Rav4's do not cover the entire area. the ones on ebay appear to have clips that attach to backseat headrests.

Dealers around Sacramento do have some 2013 left and they are willing to deal. I helped my friend get an unbelievable deal last week on a 2013 silver unlimited miles for $345 a month including tax and $3999 down (out the door). Tax rate 7.5%. He also signed up for EV Free Charge station. It took 4 hours of negotiation at the dealer and he got a better deal than mine.

Back