$17,500 off by 1 Dec 2014, Production Ended August 2014

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cossie1600 said:
Going by your logic, no one should be paying more than $15K for a car as a Corolla is cheaper than most new cars out there. You buy cars out of passion, finance comes into play a lot, but I doubt it is the only factor.

Toyota has sold what, 1200 cars so far, which means they have to sell about 2400 more in the next let say 15 months. 2400/15=160 units give or take. It's been shown that with the last $15400 incentives they can push 150-200 units a month. Heck, they pushed 100+ when they had $10K in March. I don't know what planet you come from, but what do you want them to do, lower it to a point of the regular RAV4 so your cost benefit analysis turn green?!? I understand everyone wants the best deal, yet won't apply any common sense logic. [moderator edit: delete]

As far as the sales figure, the closest comparison is the Ford Focus EV as that is the other compliance car that is priced closest to the RAV4 after incentives. They are what, $35K with a $10K lease cash bonus and they are selling neck and neck with the RAV4. Also this car is strictly built for CA, sales figure will always be low as it wasn't meant to be mass produced.

If you want to talk numbers and features, keep in mind the RAV4 EV is equipped like a mid to high level RAV4. The equivalent version RAV4 probably goes for $27K after discounts. At last month's rate, the EV sold for about $33K. The majority of the difference can be made up in gas cost alone over three years. Of course the RAV4 ICE has the advantage of being a regular car that can keep going while the EV is limited to 100-120 miles. But then you can't buy a HOV sticker with the ICE car. It's just something you have to put a value to it.

[moderator edit: delete]

I can use the HOV lane because I am carrying multiple people in my car most of the time when HOV lanes are restricted to high occupancy.

i am not comparing the rav4 ice versus the rav4 ev. i am looking at the rav4 ev, and i am making a judgement call for myself, not for you or anyone else, that it isn't worth it to me at that price.

obviously, more people agree with me than agree with you, because less than 1500 of this generation rav4 ev have sold. people are voting with their selections.

For me it was easy:

Tesla battery and motor
Unlimited Miles lease (how many leases have unlimited miles)
Way cheaper to operate than ICE
$2500 back from state
Ton of cargo space (only EV SUV to date)
50% off reg lease price, and very competitive in general
0% interest over three years
0-60 in 7 seconds
HOV Sticker
Free EV Charger through state program
NAV and Backup Camera
Creature comforts like climate control and heated seats
Free three year road side support for any reason
Free service checkups
Free limited warranty

The choice pretty damn clear to me. :)

eugenepan said:
I can use the HOV lane because I am carrying multiple people in my car most of the time when HOV lanes are restricted to high occupancy.

i am not comparing the rav4 ice versus the rav4 ev. i am looking at the rav4 ev, and i am making a judgement call for myself, not for you or anyone else, that it isn't worth it to me at that price.

For sure, for most people getting an EV has to work out financially. Really, the savings come when you drive heck out of the car, so if you are driving less than 10,000 miles per year, the price needs to drop or the price of gasoline needs to go up significantly. If I didn't need it for my crazy long commute, and the ever rising bridge tolls, EV probably wouldn't pencil out dollar wise.

Personally, its annoying that the price of gas at the pump goes up just because... the media tells you its because of the hurricane in Louisiana, but the price goes up when the weather is nice there... or you're told there is too much demand, but then the price goes up too when there is not enough demand (so they have to raise the price to make up for it)... I got the picture a long time ago. We are like sheeple at the pump. Baa Baa. $3.99 not high enough? how about $4.25? how about $4.50? and so on. And when it drops? never back to what is was.

So, for me, not having to fill up at a pump? Priceless. :)

Next, working on the PGE/Electricity cartel. :evil:

EVlearner said:
eugenepan said:

For sure, for most people getting an EV has to work out financially. Really, the savings come when you drive heck out of the car, so if you are driving less than 10,000 miles per year, the price needs to drop or the price of gasoline needs to go up significantly. If I didn't need it for my crazy long commute, and the ever rising bridge tolls, EV probably wouldn't pencil out dollar wise.

Personally, its annoying that the price of gas at the pump goes up just because... the media tells you its because of the hurricane in Louisiana, but the price goes up when the weather is nice there... or you're told there is too much demand, but then the price goes up too when there is not enough demand (so they have to raise the price to make up for it)... I got the picture a long time ago. We are like sheeple at the pump. Baa Baa. $3.99 not high enough? how about $4.25? how about $4.50? and so on. And when it drops? never back to what is was.

I just realized that my commute will shorten even more when we move to our new place. It will drop down to below 4,000 miles/yr for just the commute miles. If I round up to 15 miles per day, I am up to 3750 miles for 250 days of commuting. Currently, I am at about 30 miles/day. In about 1 yr when our new home is finished, we will be about 24 miles/day, so 6000 miles/yr for commuting. Currently, my cars get about 15 mpg and with gas at $4.00/gallon, I am at about $0.27/mile and at 7500 miles/yr of commuting, that is $2,000/yr for gas. So, in 3 yrs, I will have spent around $6,000 for gas compared to $339x36 + $4999 + 7500*($0.23kw/3) = $17,258 + sales tax - $2500 (tax credit). So, from a financial perspective, it is much better to keep my gas guzzler, and just pay for gas and some oil changes. My gas guzzler won't lose much value because it is already 8 yrs old, so being 11 yrs old, I don't think it can lose another $11,000. Also, my insurance will increase due to the lease requiring that I have collision and comprehensive insurance while I currently just have liability.

So, it is a big financial decision for me to get the RAV4EV. I guess other people have more money than me, so it is just a green issue for them.

eugenepan said:
EVlearner said:
eugenepan said:

I just realized that my commute will shorten even more when we move to our new place. It will drop down to below 4,000 miles/yr for just the commute miles. If I round up to 15 miles per day, I am up to 3750 miles for 250 days of commuting. Currently, I am at about 30 miles/day. In about 1 yr when our new home is finished, we will be about 24 miles/day, so 6000 miles/yr for commuting. Currently, my cars get about 15 mpg and with gas at $4.00/gallon, I am at about $0.27/mile and at 7500 miles/yr of commuting, that is $2,000/yr for gas. So, in 3 yrs, I will have spent around $6,000 for gas compared to $339x36 + $4999 + 7500*($0.23kw/3) = $17,258 + sales tax - $2500 (tax credit). So, from a financial perspective, it is much better to keep my gas guzzler, and just pay for gas and some oil changes. My gas guzzler won't lose much value because it is already 8 yrs old, so being 11 yrs old, I don't think it can lose another $11,000. Also, my insurance will increase due to the lease requiring that I have collision and comprehensive insurance while I currently just have liability.

So, it is a big financial decision for me to get the RAV4EV. I guess other people have more money than me, so it is just a green issue for them.

Don't take it the wrong way, BUT i always think people with gas guzzlers HAVE more money.
Because they CAN spend $250 for gas Easily.
i have friends with trucks that they use for regular commute... simply for the " testosterone" effect and they spend close to $400/month just for gas.
Ask them when was the last time they "towed" something or Hauled a boat? answer is NEVER.

going back to my previous suggestion. since you commute is getting LESSer and Lesser.. as this thread is getting Longer and Longer..
get a Corolla or a Civic instead. or if you can a Prius c.

My decision was based on already having 44K on a 15 month old Prius PlugIn.
By the time I let THREE more years elapse and have a 180K PHEV that was depreciated to dirt, it made more sense to keep that car for longer drives and for visiting friends and family... and lease the EV at the unlimited mileage lease. Math on that was clearly a win-win for me. I've had my car 8 weeks and already about to turn 5K miles. :D

The better alternative's the Prius PlugIN. The $5000 incentive and special leases make it a great buy too!
That way he gets HOV lanes solo + $1500 state tax credit and also use little fuel. VERY low lease payments!!

eugenepan said:
EVlearner said:
eugenepan said:

I probably have less money than you. The MSRP of $51,000 and lately $49,800 (Ha!) is just about a year's salary for me in dollars and cents. However, before I die I want to drive a car that has always struck me as a clean way to travel. I care about adding carbon to the atmosphere. I was not happy about transporting the car from West L.A. to the S.F. Bay Area. Bottom line, when I stop driving my 2001 Honda Civic, I stop adding 3 TONS of carbon compounds to the atmosphere each year. That is priceless to me. I have sacrificed a lot to get this car, but it has been worth the difficulty and suffering. I think the benefits, ecological, sociological and financially, will only multiply from here on in! I am 62 years old. My cousins and friends and neighbors are dying regularly, old and young. Tomorrow is not promised. I have had the solar panels for years. I have to get this done. I already lost the opportunity for the $5000 cash rebate from the state of California...remember that one from years ago?

Thank you all for sharing information, support and encouragement so I could get this car. Please be compassionate to all participants. Peace be with you. (No I haven't died yet. I am just climbing my steep learning curve with the vehicle manual, navigation system, EVSE installation (which has morphed from costing $2000 to over $3000, so for now I just plug it into an interior 120V house outlet!), and the subtle differences...push P to shift into Park, etc...

And I am happily driving all over Oakland, Berkeley, Alameda Island, San Francisco, San Jose... :)

I tried to paste a photo for you of the EV being unloaded and later being charged at my house, but copy and paste would not work! Please help with the blog options, Tony and other administrators...Thank you!

I want to jump in here, in part because I am also in my 60’s. Respectfully, we all have our own reasons. Arguably, there are more dependable & financially feasible ways to go EV. Heck, based on this (rather good quality) blog alone, we all know some technical downsides of the RAV4 EV.
My primary reason…..pure enjoyment: again, almost as much fun as the American Flyer electric train set from Christmas 1957; and the downhill roller-coasters built from scraps in 1962; almost as much fun as the gasoline engine go-cart I built with my uncle in 1966; also my first motorcycles in 1970. Fortunately, if I wanted a Porsche, I could have and would have leased one, but the EV is what seemed like more fun, and with the roof solar, an interesting project, all things considered. Most of the other reasons stated by others are however, additional benefits.

Another happy customer of Dianne and Gloria here (even the finance guy Peet was pretty cool). Just picked up our pearl 2013 EV from Carson Toyota yesterday. We were worried that we were going to have to make a charge stop on the drive back to San Diego (110 miles), but made it home nonstop and still had almost 50 miles of range left! Granted, we kept it at 65 and did not have AC on, but still was "shocked" by the efficiency. Absolutely love it.

We were tempted to wait for November 5th to try to snag one of the free charger installs (in CA at least), but the risk of worse lease terms (current offer expires Nov. 4th) and/or lack of availability of 2013 models convinced us to make the move now. Glad we did.

Even though they're not available now, I got the impression that a couple of people have successfully been able to get the free chargers (ahem... EVSE) by having their dealership apply when they become available.

Hi all,

We are also a happy new owner of a Blue Rav4 EV thanks to Dianne. Just picked the car up on 10/11. The team at Carson Toyota is super friendly and the most stress free experience I have ever had purchasing a car. They made sure we had everyone we needed to get our rebate and gave us very clear and concise instructions to make the process easy. Very much recommend calling Dianne to get your lease deals ASAP if you are interested. Once you test drive the car, there is no turning back. I am now thinking about leasing a Prius Plugin now.

-Chan

The timing on that has to be such that the specials (incentives, terms) have to either be carried forward to the following month (which worked for July to Aug and to Sept) but that wouldn't have worked for October.
You cannot buy the car BEFORE the chargers are available.
You have to buy the car on the day they are available or afterwards, thru till they run out that month.

This past month, that charger would have cost you a bundle extra a month vs. the old rates and residuals.

Every month will be different. It really depends on what day of the month the first Tuesday falls on and what day the TFS incentives end, or change.

Braxus said:
Even though they're not available now, I got the impression that a couple of people have successfully been able to get the free chargers (ahem... EVSE) by having their dealership apply when they become available.

there were about 300 for Sep and Oct each... they run out after about a week. Best to purchase within the first few days after the first Tuesday to ensure you get one. My free 30A Aerovironment works perfectly. Very happy I went through the program to save another grand or so.

So what do others think of latest lease incentives and what is likely to change next month?

Will we likely see the October incentives return if people stop buying the car? Surely we should be boycotting the car with the current incentives to get better deal next month?

I test drove the car and am interested in buying, but don't like the fact that the price jumped up while considering the purchase.

Quoting Dianne from her deal thread:

I have visibility of my 2014's that are going to be shipped in/around November.
The 2014's for me are coming in thru year-end in blue, pearl white and silver ... there are 37 of them, and the 2014's won't have any incentive at all for quite a while. The 2014's are the very same car as the 2013's. Which are the same car as the 2012.

Sounds like if anything the incentives will keep going down.

Interesting bet - we'll see -

I think Toyota will do a bit more promotion for the 2014s, especially as interest in the Model X grows but shock at the sticker sinks in. The "deals" just a bit ago were the equivalent of 2013 year-end closeouts. They have a few more to sell to eliminate inventory with this date code, then they may go back to just government incentives for a short time just to see what happens. If enough people in CA find they can justify the Rav 4 as the budget version of the Tesla X, they may see sales jump, or they may have to increase the incentives again to get the last of their obligation met. I'm hoping they each see alot more interest in the "utility" body electric vehicle, and that Toyota will continue to offer alternative fuel vehicles in these styles.

At least thats my hope - and I'd say you shouldn't wait too long to buy one of these, because despite their "issues", they are a unique vehicle, and it may be a while before anything similar is available.

krispy said:
So what do others think of latest lease incentives and what is likely to change next month?

Will we likely see the October incentives return if people stop buying the car? Surely we should be boycotting the car with the current incentives to get better deal next month?

I test drove the car and am interested in buying, but don't like the fact that the price jumped up while considering the purchase.

We have a little side bet on how many RAV4EV will sell in the month of October. I am like you, and I think that number will determine the incentives for the following months, but then again, I am just one opinion who doesn't influence Toyota. I think the price jump percentage wise and on an absolute cash outlay was very substantial, and I think there will be more people like you that didn't like it, and aren't desperate to get the car, so they will wait. I did a quick check, and there are over 30 RAV4EV in the bay area.

I am still unsure why some people on this forum believe that the price increase wasn't that substantial, but it is probably 10 times more than the savings for the people who went through the hassle of buying from southern california and shipping it to the bay area. I think if people are trying to save $200-$300, and are willing to go through a tremendous amount of hassle plus buying the car potentially sight unseen, why do they think people will pay $2500 more than last month. if people are going to southern california to see the car, then their savings are even less. 700-800 miles of driving even at 40 mpg is 17.5 gallons * $3.65/gallon = $63.88 just in gas money.

Back