Buying Clipper Creek CS-60 as a group

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
agleung said:
What is the difference between CS-60 ($899) and HCS-60 ($1,995) that account for the price difference, assuming residential usage inside garage? Thanks.
I think you got the names/prices reversed there. Basically there would be no functional difference whatsoever.

For roughly a couple of hundred dollars more, I can get a "new in the box" Clipper Creek CS-100 (not sure about warranty) rather than a eBay re-purposed CS-60 (or a new HCS-60). This got me thinking. Both units is overkill for the RAV4 EV. However, in 3 years when my lease is up, I bet there will be EV's (other than a dual charger equipped Tesla Model S) that can take advantage of the 80A charging. Of course there may be cheaper 80A EVSE by then.

My main Westinghouse breaker outside the house is rated 200A. I will have an electrician install the EVSE inside the garage, possible wait till I get the solar installation later this year if it saves a few bucks. In fact I may consider having the electrician put in an extra 14-50 240V socket for an imaginary plug-in hybrid (if my wife opens up to the idea) and get the JESLA for even more versatility. Assuming I will opt for the CS-100, will I need to replace the main breaker? Is it recommended to have a sub panel inside the garage? Thanks for you help as the installation cost difference, if significant, would deter the decision for a CS-100. Plus I need to know if the electrician is giving me good advice when that time comes.

agleung said:
For roughly a couple of hundred dollars more, I can get a "new in the box" Clipper Creek CS-100 (not sure about warranty) rather than a eBay re-purposed CS-60 (or a new HCS-60). This got me thinking. Both units is overkill for the RAV4 EV. However, in 3 years when my lease is up, I bet there will be EV's (other than a dual charger equipped Tesla Model S) that can take advantage of the 80A charging. Of course there may be cheaper 80A EVSE by then.

My main Westinghouse breaker outside the house is rated 200A. I will have an electrician install the EVSE inside the garage, possible wait till I get the solar installation later this year if it saves a few bucks. In fact I may consider having the electrician put in an extra 14-50 240V socket for an imaginary plug-in hybrid (if my wife opens up to the idea) and get the JESLA for even more versatility. Assuming I will opt for the CS-100, will I need to replace the main breaker? Is it recommended to have a sub panel inside the garage? Thanks for you help as the installation cost difference, if significant, would deter the decision for a CS-100. Plus I need to know if the electrician is giving me good advice when that time comes.
You need to match the EVSE to the circuit available. Sure, the CS-100 is not that much more expensive, but you may not have the capacity in your panel to add a 100A breaker. You cannot use a smaller breaker than what the EVSE specifies even if the car you have cannot exceed the draw allowed by the under-sized breaker.

Also, you cannot just change the main breaker. The main breaker must match not only the capacity of the main panel, but it also must match the feed line from the pole to your house. Most people find it prohibitively expensive to go bigger than 200A as a retrofit.

It looks like you may be pushing the limits of your 200A service with the new circuits, so the best way to proceed is to get an electrician out to calculate the maximum you can add and the most cost effective way to do it. Two 50A circuits is definitely sufficient for charging any two EVs overnight, but a 100A sub-panel will give you more flexibility if you want to later split it asymmetrically for faster charging on one car. For example, a Tesla at 80A and a PHEV at 20A. On second thought, you don't need the sub-panel. Just wire one with 100A conductors and one with 50A conductors. Then you can install one EVSE first on the thicker cable and then add another later. There is nothing wrong with using over-sized cable except a little more material cost up front.

Thanks @miimura.

I did some browsing online to see how others install Tesla HPWC and it seems a 200A main breaker is fine. HPWC is much more prevalent than CS-100 but the requirements should be the same.

The kicker of course is a CS-100 (100A breaker) and a JESLA (50A breaker). I will be nervous to run both at full capacities at the same time. I should be content to use CS-100 alone for the occasional need for 80A charging. Other nights I will be using CS-100 for 40A charging (plug that to RAV4) and JESLA for up to 40A charging. I will get a quote from an electrician and to see if this is according to code.

A follow up question. Are permits required when installing hard wired EVSE or 240V 14-50 sockets in a home garage in California (OC)?

I have a 200 amp panel and added a 20 amp breaker for the Leaf when we first got it. That worked out well. I was able to purchase the compact double breakers that occupy half the width. When we added the Rav4EV I went ahead and pulled #6 through the conduit so that I could make it a 50 amp circuit. I had to rearrange a number of breakers and ended up buying more compact doubles. I then decided to add an additional 50 amp circuit and just drilled through the back of the panel near the bottom and used conduit for a short connection. I used 14-50 surface mounts on the inside of the garage (over drywall). This required a lot of moving things around. I now have all the slots filled and two 50 amp compact doubles. I had sold the Leaf's modified EV and now had a Leviton 40 amp that I used for the leaf and the JESLA for the Rav4EV. We finally turned in the Leaf so I have two 50 am 220 circuits. The panel one will allow the JESLA to fit and the other works well with the attached Leviton. So I guess we need another electric vehicle?

Back