Buying Clipper Creek CS-60 as a group

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
fooljoe said:
I believe every Model S comes with a 40a capable portable EVSE (I think Roadsters did too.) No idea where/how to buy them though (I guess contact Tesla or ask Tony), and yes you'd need to take off the Tesla connector and put on a J1772.

Here's Tony's post.

The Tesla service centers now have them in stock for Model S (you may have to order the Roadster one). You can get just a J1772 handle from these guys for about $155:

http://www.tucsonev.com/index.html

I'm not keen of the quality of Dostar, however.

Another option is to buy the Model S receptacle and use their $90 Models S to J1772 adapter at public charging stations, and plug in directly with the Tesla unit.
I am so jealous. I spoke to the Parts Department at noon today. They still haven't had a shipment yet. Therefore, mine is still back-ordered :-(
The Model S to J1772 adapter won't work because one end has a male S connector and the other end has a female J1772. We need the other way around (i.e. female S connector in one end and male J1772 connector at the other end).

Waidy, I'm suggesting removing the current female J1772 receptacle on the Rav4 and replacing it with a Model S one.

So, then the regular Model S to J1772 will work for normal J1772 stations, and the Model S plug will just plug directly into Rav4.

No J1772 plug involved at all.

TonyWilliams said:
Waidy, I'm suggesting removing the current female J1772 receptacle on the Rav4 and replacing it with a Model S one.

So, then the regular Model S to J1772 will work for normal J1772 stations, and the Model S plug will just plug directly into Rav4.

I see. This is a good one. Thank you.

waidy said:
TonyWilliams said:

I see. This is a good one. Thank you.

I do have a few good ones occasionally !!!

Since DC charging doesn't involve the onboard charger. Tony, do you think the supercharger would work with this mod on the Rav4EV? .. You get me dreaming..

waidy said:
Since DC charging doesn't involve the onboard charger. Tony, do you think the supercharger would work with this mod on the Rav4EV? .. You get me dreaming..

Not without a lot more work. Maybe we can have Phil and Mark run an analysis of your Model S while it's charging to gather the data they need to make this happen.

TonyWilliams said:
robertk925 said:
I talked to Clipper Creek and they gave me the same warning, but I bought a CS-60 on eBay anyway and wired it up with a 14-50 plug and it is charging my RAV4EV flawlessly. One day I may have Clipper Creek reflash the firmware to downgrade it to a CS-50 (50amp) to more safely match the 14-50 maximum amperage, but since I only plug in the RAV4EV (no Tesla yet!) right now it isn't a pressing issue.

CS-50 is a 40 amp continuous pilot signal and requires a 50 amp breaker.

Right, sorry for the confusion (although in my defense, the product naming of the various EVSE products are confusing to us non-electricians.) The CS-60 allows 48 amps continuous max, and the CS-50 allows 40 amps max. I have my CS-60 on a 50 amp breaker and a 14-50 outlet wired with 6AWG wiring, which is a problem if I let a TeslaS plug-in, but for my RAV4EV it isn't a problem since it can only draw 40 amps maximum.

robertk925 said:
Right, sorry for the confusion (although in my defense, the product naming of the various EVSE products are confusing to us non-electricians.) The CS-60 allows 48 amps continuous max, and the CS-50 allows 40 amps max. I have my CS-60 on a 50 amp breaker and a 14-50 outlet wired with 6AWG wiring, which is a problem if I let a TeslaS plug-in, but for my RAV4EV it isn't a problem since it can only draw 40 amps maximum.
You can always adjust the amperage on the Model S. It allows for as low as 5 amp :)

Loving the CS-60, got it finally installed & yep, it's definitely a beast! charged both the Rav4 & the Leaf last night without breaking a sweat. Decided to get another electrician to setup a new 60-amp circuit (& a subpanel). He used #6 THHN so I don't have to worry.

0410132235c.jpg

0410132235b.jpg

0410132156.jpg

Great pics! Where do you "holster" the CS-60 connector when hanging out between the two cars?
I too use bungie cords to elevate my EVSE cord to keep it off the ground and to hang where it is most convenient. I found a leather holster (that's designed to hold a spray paint can) that I'm thinking about buying so that my connector can have a nice little home to live in while not connected to my car.

I don't have a holster, but I'm using the same bungee cords to hang the j1772 head when not in use (the cords come with plastic hooks on both ends). I'll take a pic and post it later. If you come up with a better system, please post it here =)

TonyWilliams said:
The proper Clipper Creek holster is $50. I'm surprised the eBay doesn't include that, but I like mine and recommend it.

Can you provide the link for the holster you installed.

My CS-60 is installed. Changed my circuit to a 50 amp for now using AWG 8 THHN wire and a NEMA 6-50 outlet and plug. Used a 6/3 service core for the pig tail and will upgrade the circuit to a 60 amp breaker and AWG 6 THHN wire with a 14-60 plug and outlet that has been ordered. For now, the CS-60 is working well. It charges the Rav4 pretty fast. I think I may have found the possible issue with the timer in the car. I charge with two different chargers, a 3.3 KW at work and the 9.6 KW at home. This may be confusing the charger timer, as I think it assumes the last charging system used will be used again for the next charge. Seems if I turn on the charging system when I get home for a few minutes when I plug in initially and then turn it off, it resets the charge timer assumption to a 9.6 KW charger and is able to charge under the timer constraints. I've only tried this a couple of times so far, but it did charge within my departure time setup and within my Off Peak TOU rate period. Will continue to test this hypothesis.
IMAG0744.jpg

So, I'm thinking of getting another CS-60 to setup as a "mobile" charger for use with RV parks that have NEMA 14-50 receptacles. Will this work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50A-4-Wire-6-Ft-125-250V-NEMA-14-50-125-250V-Range-Replacement-Power-Cord-UL-/111035756966?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19da3f31a6

It says it's rated for 50-amps, and since the CS-60 has a max draw of 48A (continuous)... this won't be an issue, right? Also, to wire it correctly, leave out the "neutral" wire (tape it up), connect the 2 hots (#6 wires) and the service ground (#8)... correct?

The CS-60 is up to full power now. Installed the 60 amp breaker, upgraded the wire to 6AWG THHN and the plug and receptacle to Nema 14-60. Now if I could just afford that Tesla! ;)

khaliss said:
So, I'm thinking of getting another CS-60 to setup as a "mobile" charger for use with RV parks that have NEMA 14-50 receptacles. Will this work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50A-4-Wire-6-Ft-125-250V-NEMA-14-50-125-250V-Range-Replacement-Power-Cord-UL-/111035756966?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19da3f31a6

It says it's rated for 50-amps, and since the CS-60 has a max draw of 48A (continuous)... this won't be an issue, right? Also, to wire it correctly, leave out the "neutral" wire (tape it up), connect the 2 hots (#6 wires) and the service ground (#8)... correct?

I would get a Camco NEMA 14-50 plug and use a proper 6/3 SOOW rated wire. Plan B might be to repackage all the Clipper Creek guts in a much smaller package for portable use.

Don't laugh, but I went a little bit overboard with this twin charger setup. These CS-60s are just something!

0506132130.jpg

0506132130a.jpg

0506132127b.jpg

Is this type of deal still available? Or anybody have any good links to an eBay store that sells them for a good price? Looking for 2 units, one for me and one for mnml.

Also, is there a big difference in price in having an electrician install a 60 Amp circuit as opposed to a 40 Amp? I was going to have them install a 40 Amp for the Leviton EVB40-PST, but am now considering this unit if it's really in the $700 range.

Thanks.

Back