Buying Clipper Creek CS-60 as a group

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AvLegends said:
That's how I installed mine... #8 THHN with a 50A breaker. Not going to charge anything bigger than the Rav4 EV at 40 amps. Just be sure to keep your Tesla Model S friends off your CS-60 or you will be poppin breakers. :)

One thing I noticed though... is that the box you are going to wire the CS-60 to? Your pigtails hanging out look pretty short. You need to have enough wire so you can work. I have my CS-60 hardwired directly to the box. Good luck.

The CC CS-60 is such a nice unit that i'm going to get another for the garage here at home. ;)

My only gripe with the CS-60 is the ultra-thick charger cable haha...

I inspected the wire he used, it has a "7557301" marking, so I googled it and came upon this site:
http://staging.southwire.com/documents/7136_SIMpullSolutionsBro_01Ljb_web.pdf

So it seems like it is a #8 THHN cable. That end you are seeing is the where it terminates to the panel/break box (on the other side of the wall)... if you look closer, the other end (9-feet run) is a NEMA 6-50 receptacle where I will be mounting the CS-60.

looks like this:
images

Guess all I need now is to purchase a Nema 6-50 plug (does homedepot/lowes sell those?) and hook it up with the charger... and of course change out the breaker from 40A to 50A. What do you think?

Just get #4 wire and a 60 amp breaker. Why cut corners? it is only $1.30 a foot for #4 at Lowe's, you are only saving ~$30 and creating a fire hazard, if someone tries to charge at 48 amps, with wire rated for only 30 amps continuous.

pchilds said:
Just get #4 wire and a 60 amp breaker. Why cut corners? it is only $1.30 a foot for #4 at Lowe's, you are only saving ~$30 and creating a fire hazard, if someone tries to charge at 48 amps, with wire rated for only 30 amps continuous.
I just talked with William Korthof, the guy that is selling the CS-60's on ebay and he said that #8THHN is "technically acceptable" for the 50A breaker load and would work just fine, but if it were inspected it would need to have #6 for the 50A breaker/40A continuos load. This #6 THHN would also be the correct size if one were to install a 60A breaker/48A continuos load as well. As mentioned earlier, WilI is a licensed electrician with a ton of EV/EVSE experience. I stand corrected...

pchilds said:

I second this. Or, have CC reflash the card from the CS-60 to CS-50 (40amp continuous spec).

I just picked up my Rav4 EV yesterday and was planning on getting the Levitron but this looks like a great deal to jump on. Are there any concerns with Toyota not honoring our warranty if we don't use the recommended charger? Home Depot is out of the Levitron and buying direct costs $1230 so I would much rather buy the CS-60 and save some money with a solid unit. I have to run a new circuit to my garage anyway so I can start with 60 amp rated wire right off that bat and be ready for whatever beefier EV comes next.

Just ordered mine. Will replace my 7.2 KW AV unit. I'll have to change out the breaker to a 60 amp, but my wiring is already #6, so I won't have to do anything there except hardwire it, as the AV unit is currently using a 6-50 plug and receptacle. It will be nice to have a 25 foot cord also. The AV unit only has an 18 footer. :)

the2bobs said:
I just picked up my Rav4 EV yesterday and was planning on getting the Levitron but this looks like a great deal to jump on. Are there any concerns with Toyota not honoring our warranty if we don't use the recommended charger? Home Depot is out of the Levitron and buying direct costs $1230 so I would much rather buy the CS-60 and save some money with a solid unit. I have to run a new circuit to my garage anyway so I can start with 60 amp rated wire right off that bat and be ready for whatever beefier EV comes next.

If you read the response from Toyota concerning failed charging on the vehicle timer, the term "non-Leviton" is thrown out to infer that if only you had the "proper" Leviton unit, all would be well.

Of course, that's total bullshit and it wouldn't surprise me to have Toyota attempt to block a warranty claim, but the bottom line is that they would have to prove in an arbitration that your "non-Leviton" unit caused the problem which resulted in a denied claim.

I don't recommend using the GE Wattstation as it has seemingly been implicated in blown chargers on LEAFs, but there are plenty of robust choices on the Toyota "approved list".

I was going to pick up one of these until I talked to the folks at Clipper Creek.

This was a project for a very special test car.

The tech I talked to "highly discouraged" me from using this on the Rav 4 EV. He said something along the lines of "I wouldn't use it on mine if I had one" and he knows how they were built.

Now I know they are rebuilding them which may replace the items this tech was concerned about.

I was lucky, Anaheim will rebate up to $1500 for up to 5 EVSE's installed per house. So I can pick up the Leviton 40a essentially for free. Well, better than free, because I would still get the 30% fed rebate on each charger installed.

Well... this got me thinking as I just picked up a second CS-60 from Sustainable Solutions Partners in Pomona, the ebay seller. I liked the first one I got a couple weeks ago and wanted to get a second unit for home while they were still available.

Gave ClipperCreek a call and the tech I talked to... Will, said that they were good solid units that were used for the Mini-E program and there was nothing to worry about. When looking at the internal circut board, my units both say CS-40 on them and Will said this was common for units built during that 2008 timeframe. He said the firmware is what's important and the units that I have can even be upgraded to CS-100's with a firmware re-flash and contactor (and cable if needed) changeout, or downgraded to CS-40 specs. Just FYI :)

BSki said:
Now I know they are rebuilding them which may replace the items this tech was concerned about.
I think the thing that is changed is the J1772 cable from what the Mini E used. Not completely sure but that's what I heard. All I know is mine works great with my Rav4 EV. :)

Sustainable Solutions Partners is also selling them with a 3 year warranty vs. ClipperCreek's 1 year warranty.

I talked to Clipper Creek and they gave me the same warning, but I bought a CS-60 on eBay anyway and wired it up with a 14-50 plug and it is charging my RAV4EV flawlessly. One day I may have Clipper Creek reflash the firmware to downgrade it to a CS-50 (50amp) to more safely match the 14-50 maximum amperage, but since I only plug in the RAV4EV (no Tesla yet!) right now it isn't a pressing issue.

AvLegends said:
BSki said:
I think the thing that is changed is the J1772 cable from what the Mini E used. Not completely sure but that's what I heard. All I know is mine works great with my Rav4 EV. :)

Sustainable Solutions Partners is also selling them with a 3 year warranty vs. ClipperCreek's 1 year warranty.

Just received mine today by UPS. Nice looking unit. Don't know if I like the orange cable, but the thing looks new and it didn't cost anywhere near the $1995 plus tax and shipping that Clipper Creek charges. ;)

robertk925 said:
I talked to Clipper Creek and they gave me the same warning.
Maybe some of the guys at CC are telling people this to keep the ebay seller from eating into there own sales? Who knows? :roll: Couldn't be happier with mine. :)

Glad its working well for everyone.

Based on recommendations here this is the way I would have gone also if my city didn't have a rebate.

Now to find a 40a portable charger...

BSki said:
Now to find a 40a portable charger...
I think there is a 40A Tesla portable EVSE... I think Tony Williams talked of this. Tried to find the post but had no luck. I seem to remenber there was something about the connector needed to be changed to the J-1772 type...

I believe every Model S comes with a 40a capable portable EVSE (I think Roadsters did too.) No idea where/how to buy them though (I guess contact Tesla or ask Tony), and yes you'd need to take off the Tesla connector and put on a J1772.

Here's Tony's post.

BSki said:
I was going to pick up one of these until I talked to the folks at Clipper Creek.

This was a project for a very special test car.

The tech I talked to "highly discouraged" me from using this on the Rav 4 EV. He said something along the lines of "I wouldn't use it on mine if I had one" and he knows how they were built.

I was lucky, Anaheim will rebate up to $1500 for up to 5 EVSE's installed per house. So I can pick up the Leviton 40a essentially for free. Well, better than free, because I would still get the 30% fed rebate on each charger installed.

You may have been told that, but it's complete BS. You weren't "lucky" either to spend that much more for a Leviton.

AvLegends said:
BSki said:

That's it... Just the cable. I ***REALLY*** dislike folks who spread BS on the internet, particularly about things that they clearly kow nothing about in an attempt to malign a product or service. I'm glad you went to the source to clear it up for yourself, rather than just believing the BS.

Here's a link to somebody (me) who has actually rebuilt one of these Clipper Creek BMW MiniE units just like the ones you guys are buying off eBay. Read and enjoy:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=248883#p248883

fooljoe said:
I believe every Model S comes with a 40a capable portable EVSE (I think Roadsters did too.) No idea where/how to buy them though (I guess contact Tesla or ask Tony), and yes you'd need to take off the Tesla connector and put on a J1772.

Here's Tony's post.

The Tesla service centers now have them in stock for Model S (you may have to order the Roadster one). You can get just a J1772 handle from these guys for about $155:

http://www.tucsonev.com/index.html

I'm not keen of the quality of Dostar, however.

Another option is to buy the Model S receptacle and use their $90 Models S to J1772 adapter at public charging stations, and plug in directly with the Tesla unit.

robertk925 said:
I talked to Clipper Creek and they gave me the same warning, but I bought a CS-60 on eBay anyway and wired it up with a 14-50 plug and it is charging my RAV4EV flawlessly. One day I may have Clipper Creek reflash the firmware to downgrade it to a CS-50 (50amp) to more safely match the 14-50 maximum amperage, but since I only plug in the RAV4EV (no Tesla yet!) right now it isn't a pressing issue.

CS-50 is a 40 amp continuous pilot signal and requires a 50 amp breaker.

Back