Buying Clipper Creek CS-60 as a group

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
duggie said:
Is this type of deal still available? Or anybody have any good links to an eBay store that sells them for a good price? Looking for 2 units, one for me and one for mnml.

Also, is there a big difference in price in having an electrician install a 60 Amp circuit as opposed to a 40 Amp? I was going to have them install a 40 Amp for the Leviton EVB40-PST, but am now considering this unit if it's really in the $700 range.

Thanks.
Remember that you need a 50A circuit and breaker for the Leviton EVB40, which feeds up to 40A and you need a 60A circuit and breaker for the CS-60 which actually feeds up to 48A. Of course, the RAV will still only draw 40A from the CS-60. These amperages are required by code - a device that can draw power for an extended period of time (I don't recall how long triggers this requirement) must draw only 80% of the rating of the breaker and wire feeding the device.

The electrician's price should be only nominally increased for installing 60A over 50A. Depending on length and spec of insulation, conduit, etc., you can sometimes use 8 gauge wire for a 50A circuit, but 60A would require 6 gauge. So, the copper cost is slightly higher, but labor should be the same.

That's good info miimura. My installation will be in my detached garage so there is a considerable distance to run the cable. I think that would be my biggest expense.

Thanks.

Is it still possible to still get this deal? I might be headed down to SD in a couple weeks and wouldn't mind picking one up. Thanks in advance.

For those that installed the CS-60 with a 60A breaker and #6 wiring, did you use a receptacle + plug to connect the CS-60? Or hard-wire it? If it's hard-wired I'm told we need a safety disconnect switch in the garage since the panel is outside. With a plug in the garage the safety disconnect is not needed.
I have read many ppl use the NEMA 14-50 but that's only up to 60A. Is there a NEMA 14-60 equivalent? I also like the idea to be able to remove the CS-60 if needed.

I hard wired with #4 and a 70 amp breaker, because, I have a transformer boosting my 240vac to 265vac. They make a 14-60 the only difference is the neutral is rotated 90 deg. See below.

shopping

If I route #6 wire but install a 50A breaker along with NEMA 14-50 receptacle and plug, that should work, right? No need to change the firmware on the CS-60 to downgrade to CS-50?
That way I could upgrade when needed in the future to a bigger breaker and decide if I want to hardwire at that time.
Until then at least I have future-proofed the wiring and I'll have an outlet available for other purposes if needed.
I guess if I attach anything that tries to draw > 50A the breaker will trip. But the CS-60 should not draw > 50A to charge the Rav4.

PearlRav said:
If I route #6 wire but install a 50A breaker along with NEMA 14-50 receptacle and plug, that should work, right? No need to change the firmware on the CS-60 to downgrade to CS-50?
That way I could upgrade when needed in the future to a bigger breaker and decide if I want to hardwire at that time.
Until then at least I have future-proofed the wiring and I'll have an outlet available for other purposes if needed.
I guess if I attach anything that tries to draw > 50A the breaker will trip. But the CS-60 should not draw > 50A to charge the Rav4.
You should not need a Disconnect for a CS-60 because it is not "more than 60 amperes", it is exactly 60 amperes.
California Code 625.23 "Disconnecting Means. For electric vehicle supply equipment rated more than 60 amperes or more than 150 volts to ground, the disconnecting means shall be provided and installed in a readily accessible location. The disconnecting means shall be capable of being locked in the open position."
Also, while your solution will work with the RAV because the car will only pull 40A, what you propose is not to code. If someone plugged in a Tesla Roadster or Model S with dual chargers, they would pull 48A, too much for the 50A breaker. You need to use a 60A breaker and either hardwire or use a 14-60. Clipper Creek's web site only shows CS series units for 40A, 60A, 100A breakers. I don't see a CS-50 and I've never heard of them re-flashing for 50A breaker, but such a thing is definitely possible if they cared to do it. Also, with a RAV you really don't want to flash all the way down to 40A because it will only deliver 30-32A to the car.

At what point in the CS series is there a component change, like a higher rated contactor/relay? The Tesla branded ones that have a 70A pilot make a really solid thunk. I would imagine they could put a much smaller contactor in a CS-40.

The contactor in the CS-60 in 65 amp rated, it would have to be changed to go to a 70 amp pilot. IMO, If CC will do a 64 amp pilot, 80 amp breaker, it should handle that.

Clipper Creek has been busy. Now offering a 48A EVSE for $899.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140311005516/en/ClipperCreek-Launches-HCS-60-High-Power-240V-48Amp#.UyDJfNyBNBU

Seems small enough to be portable and has a cool rubberized handle.

Same case as the recently introduced HCS-40 (30A charging) but with the higher rating and new handle. No plug-in options due to the 60A rating. For the RAV, I kinda wish they would do a HCS-50 with NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 6-50 plug options. 48A charging is kind of a no-man's land. It's over the Tesla single charger limit but not enough to we worthwhile for dual charger equipped cars to make a difference.

VQ EV said:
Mine from the 1st batch is now a year old with zero problems (not like my blink).
Ours, installed outdoors, has been working fine for a year too.

We went with a Leaf instead of the RAV4. That too has worked out quite well. From time to time I lust for the Toyota's 20-25 miles of additional range. Visiting myrav4ev.com is my version of committing adultery in my heart :)

I just turned in our Leaf after a 3 year lease. It is not just 20 to 25 miles better in range. Try approximately 70 miles in additional range. That is significant enough that we drive places that we would not have gone when we had the Leaf. The other day I went 140 miles and that was a mix of freeway going as fast as 80 and crawling at 5 mph. If the Rav4EV had a fast charger the car would be perfect. Tony? My wife misses the Leaf because it was small and easy to maneuver. The range limitation killed the car for us. With the 2016 Leaf offering additional battery storage should make a difference.
Manny

What is the difference between CS-60 ($1,995) and HCS-60 ($898) that account for the price difference, assuming residential usage inside garage? Thanks.

Edit: oops. reversed the prices. thx @fooljoe

Back