Buying Clipper Creek CS-60 as a group

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AvLegends said:
Just drove down to Pomona yesterday and picked up a brand new, never used CS-60. Called and told them I was part of the group buy and wanted to drive over and pick it up... no problem. gave me the price of $675.

Thanks for the update, Mike. I'll have to do the same thing.

Just got the CS-60 installed and seems to be pulling around 38.5 amps. Does this seem about right? I was expecting to see a full 40. The amp probe might be off but I doubt it as it belongs to a friend who is a HVAC/Electrical contractor.

Sure is a quality unit. :) It is listed as suitable for outdoor use as well.

AvLegends said:
Just got the CS-60 installed and seems to be pulling around 38.5 amps. Does this seem about right? I was expecting to see a full 40. The amp probe might be off but I doubt it as it belongs to a friend who is a HVAC/Electrical contractor.

Sure is a quality unit. :) It is listed as suitable for outdoor use as well.

I measured 41-42 with my Fluke.

Does it take a while to ramp up to max charging current? I checked it after about 3-4 min of plugging in.

TonyWilliams said:
AvLegends said:
Does it take a while to ramp up to max charging current? I checked it after about 3-4 min of plugging in.

If the battery is near the top of the SOC%, then it will slow down.
I had about 68-70 mi remaining on an 80% charge. Going to top it off (80%) today and see what it is pulling half way through the charge cycle.

The ClipperCreek CS60 will allow the car to pull a max of 48 amps. The vehicle determines the maximum current used up to 48 amps.

Has anyone heard from Ravi in the last few days? My understanding was that he was planning to bring a few of the CS-60s up to the Bay Area from the seller in Pomona. I am wondering if I should wait for him to reanimate or simply purchase another EVSE.

Still haven't made the Leaf v Rav4 decision. The 60A CS-60 certainly seems overkill for Leaf, possibly also for the Rav4. Any thoughts from the cognoscenti?

darn it! I just had a new 240V circuit installed (complete with conduit piping) with a NEMA 6-50 receptacle with a 40-amp breaker.. was going to go with a GE Wattstation for my leased LEAF, but now we are getting a RAV4-EV too. Should I go for a CS-60 instead?

khaliss said:
darn it! I just had a new 240V circuit installed (complete with conduit piping) with a NEMA 6-50 receptacle with a 40-amp breaker.. was going to go with a GE Wattstation for my leased LEAF, but now we are getting a RAV4-EV too. Should I go for a CS-60 instead?

How many miles do you plan to drive per day, and will you ever need midday at home charging?

Since the Rav4 will charge just fine in 8 hours or less on 30 amps, you may not need 40 amps, but I still recommend the Clipper Creek unit.

I SPECIFICALLY DO NOT RECOMMEND THE DOSTAR J1772 PLUG THAT THE EBAY RESELLER IS USING. There are lots of other choices out there:

http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/J1772CableSources

I do recommend the ITT 75 amp, or the Yazaki for 30 amps. The eBay seller has sold these Clipper Creek units without the any J1772 that you can put your own on.

khaliss said:
You CANNOT install a CS-60 on the new 40-amp circuit you just had installed. The '60' means you need a 60 amp circuit - you would need to either upgrade the wiring/breaker in the circuit you just had installed (if possible) or get a new circuit installed.

fooljoe said:
khaliss said:
You CANNOT install a CS-60 on the new 40-amp circuit you just had installed. The '60' means you need a 60 amp circuit - you would need to either upgrade the wiring/breaker in the circuit you just had installed (if possible) or get a new circuit installed.

Or reflash the CS-60 to 40 amp pilot signal.

There a guide for reflashing or should I just go for a GE wattstation? I emailed the electrician, he said itll cost $125 to convert the 40amp to a 60amp circuit that he installed.

khaliss said:
There a guide for reflashing or should I just go for a GE wattstation? I emailed the electrician, he said itll cost $125 to convert the 40amp to a 60amp circuit that he installed.
That sounds pretty reasonable - I imagine just the cost of the new wire/breaker might be that much (unless it's a really short run).

I too would like to know about reflashing the pilot signal on the CS-60. I don't see anything about it in the manual I found here. Also you'd want to reflash it to 32 amps, not 40.

My guy said the wire don't need to be changed, it can handle 60 amps... so I'm guessing he would only need to change the breaker? How hard is it to swap a breaker? =)

Also, the end of my 240v circuit is a NEMA6-50 receptacle. is the CS-60 hardwired?

khaliss said:
My guy said the wire don't need to be changed, it can handle 60 amps... so I'm guessing he would only need to change the breaker? How hard is it to swap a breaker? =)

Also, the end of my 240v circuit is a NEMA6-50 receptacle. is the CS-60 hardwired?

60 amps requires #4 wire, it is highly unlikely that the wire would not need to be changed. No one is going to run #4 wire when 40 amps only requires #8.

pchilds said:
60 amps requires #4 wire, it is highly unlikely that the wire would not need to be changed. No one is going to run #4 wire when 40 amps only requires #8.

Just curious, I tried to research it and everything seemed to suggest #6 copper is good up to 65A. Can you point me to something that says I should have #4. Thanks!

yblaser said:
pchilds said:

Just curious, I tried to research it and everything seemed to suggest #6 copper is good up to 65A. Can you point me to something that says I should have #4. Thanks!

Here is one source.

http://www.polarpowerinc.com/info/appendix.htm

pchilds said:
Here is one source.

Thanks. It seems like >60 A would be fine with #6 THHN wire or am I missing something? Just making sure my garage is not going to burst into flames :oops:

yblaser said:
pchilds said:
Here is one source.

Thanks. It seems like >60 A would be fine with THHN wire or am I missing something? Just making sure my garage is not going to burst into flames :oops:
Are you having it inspected? You are only pulling 40 amps with the Rav. I have mine on a 50 amp breaker and #8 THHN and it pulls a constant 41.5 amps without any problems. Did an extended charge couple days ago to see how many miles I would end up with. After 5+ hours it finished (with 148 mi range-is this about right?) and the breaker wasn't even warm that I could tell... with my calibrated finger! ;)

If you had a vehicle that pulled the full rated 48 amps of the CS-60 then you would want to install a 60 amp breaker and related wiring.

The seller, Sustainable Solutions, also told me that they would be soon getting the programmer and have the ability to re-flash the firmware to upgrade the CS-60 to a CS-100. ( I'm sure they could downgrade to a CS-40 as well) All that would be needed would be a new 75 amp cable and bigger contactor and one would be all set to charge that new Model S! :) Someday...

Back