Car won't charge / Gateway ECU / Firmware Update

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With Gateway ECU firmware version 1.3.79 (dealer updated on 01-08-2014) last night my car completed a scheduled charge (using Leviton 32A EVSE L2) between approximately 2am and 4:40am, with corresponding email notifications. This was a normal charge on my battery from ~50% SoC. Scheduled departure time was 7:50am. After unplugging at approximately 9:25am this morning, I did not receive a "charge interrupted" email as has usually been the case after all previous scheduled charges.

I want to repeat this "experiment" again, but with a SoC much less than 50% before recharging to make sure the next scheduled charge still initiates after midnight as desired.

Dianne said:
The 1.3.79 update is associated with the charging of the car.
My question was not whether the 1.3.79 update was associated with the charging of the car. I knew that. My question was whether the 1.3.79 update is installed as part of the infotainment update via the USB port between the driver and passenger seats, or whether it's installed via the proprietary Techstream port in the rear of the car. The only thing my dealership service technician talked about was installing an update via the USB port with a memory stick sent by Toyota. If that wasn't the firmware update 1.3.79, then I'll need to bring this up the next time I have the car serviced at 20,000 miles.

Can anyone post a photo of what that firmware update sticker looks like that gets affixed under the hood? I just checked and I don't see any new stickers under my hood.

Blastphemy, I made sure to remind my dealer about that Calibration ID sticker under the hood when I got the most recent firmware update to the Gateway ECU, and it was in fact applied in that location. "1.3.79" was hand written on the sticker along with a couple of service bulletin numbers. (I believe more than one update was done, including the other one for the center console, VS503150.) I do not think that sticker was the actual label required by TSB procedure for updating the Gateway ECU, but I'll try to take a picture of it tomorrow morning and upload it here if I can figure out how to do that.

That's what the sticker looks like that I have under my hood as well, except if has "1.3.79" handwritten on it. It was applied on 1-8-2014 by my dealership after getting the latest firmware update. I took a picture of it this morning, but I can't figure out how to upload it here. :oops:

Thanks to miimura, I figured it out . . .

sticker_zpsdd89b83a.jpg

Note, the date should be "1-8-14", (not "2013").

We had to take back our Rav4 EV to ***** Toyota because of a flat tire, and I asked the service technician to make sure to note the firmware version on the receipt. Guess what the "software" version was?
VB503150!

Yes, folks, despite me printing out TSB documentation that specifically referenced a firmware update of 1.3.79 for the Gateway/ECU to alleviate charging problems, ***** Toyota instead only updated the navigation system. I'm absolutely dumbfounded how ***** Toyota could mistake a navigation system update that requires a USB memory stick with a firmware update that requires a connection via the proprietary Techstream port.

I have not named the dealership since I expecteit to resolve the problem correctly once shown Toyota's documentation. But if this nonsense continues, I'll feel duty-bound to warn you away from this dealer in case you're experiencing similar charging problems and need the correct service performed on your vehicle.

There's no sticker underneath my hood, so I have no idea if the 1.3.79 firmware update was ever applied. I don't know how the charging problem was resolved (it could have just fixed itself, as has happened in the past), but I now have strong doubts about my dealership being fluent in the technology or terminology to service the Rav4 EV properly.

Dsinned said:
To best of my knowledge, the Tesla Gateway ECU (in the back of the car) can only be updated with a Techstream "black box" plugged in to that specific module. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding. There is even a Toyota TSB that specifically details the Techstream procedure to be used on the RAV4 EV.
Dsinned - can you post the TSB that references the Techstream procedure and required firmware update to 1.3.79? Thanks!

I'm going to follow up with the dealership immediately instead of waiting for the 20,000-mile service, and I'll probably give Kevin a call, too. If ***** Toyota can show me that the firmware was updated as required and they just didn't affix the sticker, then I won't call them out online.

Blastphemy, in a previous post by "mhkp" on a related subject (firmware update 1.3.79), he provided a link to the Techstream procedure you are asking about. Please see the last post in the following thread.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=878

Unfortunately, I believe that procedure was cut off after page 1 of 6, so there are probably 5 additional pages missing. The other documentation provided in that link suggests that there are TWO different Tesla "ECU" firmware updates, and both seem to be referenced together as "1.3.79". There are updates to the RAV4 EV Power Management ECU, AND the Gateway Control ECU Logic modules. I believe these modules are identified by the hand written part numbers listed on the so-called "Calibration ID" sticker under the hood, and there is a picture of that in the "mhkp" post as well. As you can see, the same hand written part numbers were put on my sticker too, so 1.3.79 must have some bearing on "improving the operation" of these two different modules.

Sadly, this sort of technical service bulletin related documentation NEVER actually says what specific problem(s) the firmware update addresses. Thus, I don't expect anybody with the Toyota servicing dealers to know anything more than we do and probably a lot LESS! :lol:

For certain, I can attest to the FACT, that the "Check EV System . . . " issue still exists in my 2012 RAV4 EV even after firmware update 1.3.79 has been completed. It "might" even be that this update has exacerbated the same issue, because I never experienced it before my most recent firmware update. :roll:

As for the scheduled charging issue, I will need more time to verify that one way or the other. Stay tuned . . .

Brought my Rav4 EV back in and finally got all the proper software and firmware updates. 1.3.79 is apparently still the most current version. Glad my dealer finally did right by us. It shouldn't have been this difficult, but at least the proper service was finally done.

I took my 2012 RAV4 EV back to the dealer this morning to have the Gateway ECU replaced as "recommended" to address the infamous "CHECK EV SYSTEM . . . " after a random failure to start the car while parked in my driveway at home. I only experienced this "once" about a month ago and not again since, so I am not at all certain replacing the Tesla computer will actually address this mysterious issue. Also, it seems there have been a few cases with other RAV4 EVs where this recommended corrective action was performed, but still resulted in the same problem reoccurring again afterwards. :shock:

Dsinned said:
For certain, I can attest to the FACT, that the "Check EV System . . . " issue still exists in my 2012 RAV4 EV even after firmware update 1.3.79 has been completed. It "might" even be that this update has exacerbated the same issue, because I never experienced it before my most recent firmware update. :roll:

This raises the question of whether one should strive to get the latest firmware update or continue with one that seems to work. I have only had the check EV system warning twice, and both times the car drove notmally and the warning went away after I had the car turned off for a few hours (while I was at work) I have an early 2012 and had my 5000 service about May, and as far as I know, no updates were performed.

Hi Michael. I was hesitant to upgrade my car's Gateway ECU firmware, as well as now to replace the computer itself. Presumably, after the Gateway computer is replaced today at the dealership, it will still have firmware version 3.1.79 installed. I asked the dealer to check on that to be sure.

My thinking on this latest service activity is as follows. If I did NOT have the computer replaced and the "Check EV System . . . " problem reoccurs resulting in an accident or further damage to the car, Toyota may have a valid case for denying any liability, financial or otherwise. I felt this might put me in a rather precarious situation, so I decided to comply with Toyota's recommendation to replace the computer and just see what happens.

If not a solution to "this problem" perhaps a newer computer will somehow address other reoccurring issues such as scheduled charging. Of course, if the firmware has not changed beyond 3.1.79, I think past issues with scheduled charging with continue to be a problem, UNLESS it is actually that the hardware functionality of the computer itself that has been redesigned and/or modified since the original RAV4 EVs were produced. I know this is a long shot, but at this point I am giving Toyota/Tesla the benefit of doubt and exploring all options for a "bonafide" Engineering fix to any or all of these problems.

@Dsinned
Since you had a "Communication Error" code stored from your Check EV System message, I personally would not hesitate to have the Gateway ECU replaced as recommended. I think the timing of the error and your firmware update may be a coincidence. In addition, I don't recall hearing about anyone having Check EV System errors related to Communication after having the Gateway ECU replaced. Of course, a coolant pump or something could fail after the Gateway ECU was replaced and trigger a Check EV system message, but that would not count in my book.

We'll see . . . just picked up the car with a new Gateway ECU replacement under warranty. To replacement cost for the computer was well over $3000!!! I was told it has the latest firmware, but not which version; presumably 3.1.79 or higher.

Fingers crossed . . .

Anyone keeping track of how many Gateway ECU's have been replaced by forum members so far? I would be curious to know the ratio of members to replacements.

Not very many . . . counting mine, maybe less than 5 or 6, but more importantly, of those replaced, how many have had a repeat of the "Check EV System . . . " no start or unexpected shutdown anomally? In another very long thread on that subject, supposedly, there have been a couple. If those owners are reading this, please comment with details here. TIA.

Blastphemy said:
This is the update that was applied to my Rav4 EV when I took it in:
Braxus said:
However, after speaking with my service adviser, I don't believe the 1.3.79 firmware update was applied (per T-SB-0050-13 Rev2).

I'm following up with my dealership and will let you know what happens next.

That Service Bulletin give the Navigation level as VB503150. I just updated my GPS, and that is the only update that has been performed on my car. The Navigation level is now VB503200.

Back