EV Charge Station Etiquette

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried it and you are right. If you unplug and replug, the two little lights start bouncing back and forth and the EVSE indicates no charging.

This doesn't seem like a good plan...should at least require the car to be started before returning to charge timer mode.

I will try setting up the same scenario and tripping the circuit breaker to simulate a power outage, see what happens. Not good if it won't restart.

And like cwrdna said, at work we do a lot of "hose swapping" due to the various locations of charge ports in different cars and the fact that some of our EVSEs have longer hoses. So people need to expect to be unplugged/replugged. The charging stations aren't "ours" they are company assets just like a copy machine to be used by everyone.

I have experienced this with my RAV.

With a Volt, if you unplug it and then immediately plug it back in, it will immediately switch to "Charge Immediately" mode. There is also a push button on the remote so that you don't have to go-in, start and then stop the car like you do with the RAV

I went back and used that charging station again. There is a placard on the unit that explains owners to turn off their charging timers. The placard is quite small however, so it's pretty hard to see.

EV owners need to really know their own cars and how they operate when they are using public charging stations.

Back